Notices

Old 09-02-2008, 06:52 AM   #1
C6REW
Connoisseur
C6REW has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1
Another New User in The UK

Hi All,

That's it, just ordered the 505 from Waterstone's in Swindon, to be picked up at launch on Thursday 4th.

Looking forward to getting it and putting all my current books and magazines on. Luckily I have an 8gb Sony stick so will be able to put lots on.

Been trying to get my head around Calibre. Is this a downloadable bit of software that will convert from such as pdf to a better format for the Sony?

Regards

Chris
C6REW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:49 AM   #2
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
I've got one ordered too. Annoyingly I didn't see an option to pick it up from a store when I ordered though

Yes. Calibre is a desktop PC app that'll let you manage and convert files to Sony's lrf format.
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2008, 08:08 AM   #3
C6REW
Connoisseur

Hi Flub,

I just phoned the store and ordered that way. Always prefer to pick up things if possible. That way you have someone to meet and take the unit back if their are problems. Not always possible of course with the internet these days.

Best regards

Chris
Old 09-02-2008, 08:13 AM   #4
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
You might like to take a trip to your local Waterstones and see if they have a demo unit available. I was playing with the one in the Middlesbrough branch today. I thought it was much better than my Iliad.
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:15 AM   #5
C6REW
Connoisseur

Hi Flub,

Called in yesterday and they said they could not show me one as it was against the law! Really! I then went to the Swindon Sony centre and had a play there!

Told Waterstones when I phoned this morning that they had got it wrong and they promptly told me it was now on display! Fat lot of good that is to me now!

Quite pleased you say it is better than the Iliad. It was one of the readers I pondered over. In the end the Sony won because it is available in the UK.

Best regards

Chris
Advert
Old 09-02-2008, 10:24 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by C6REW View Post
Quite pleased you say it is better than the Iliad. It was one of the readers I pondered over. In the end the Sony won because it is available in the UK.
More accurate to say that it's better for different things than is the iLiad. The Sony is far better for reading fiction, but the iLiad wins when it comes to reading A4/Letter PDFs. Plus, of course, the iLiad has annotation facilities, which the Sony doesn't.

Note that the iLiad is also available in the UK from larger branches of "Borders".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:10 AM   #7
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
<quote>Plus, of course, the iLiad has annotation facilities, which the Sony doesn't.</quote>

Thats arguable. but I might be biased.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:20 AM   #8
C6REW
Connoisseur

Hi Harry & Lee,

Thanks for the comments. I have noticed on the site that if someone dares mention that one product is better than another, there is almost instant rebuke!

But hey, that's understandable.

Oh and I really have not taken it the wrong way and fully understand that every product has it's strengths and weaknesses. Otherwise a product would have slowly faded away. As a complete novice to this sort of thing and having seen The Gadget show last week I was impressed by the possibility. I do like the idea of having my various photography books and magazines which are currently in pdf format, with me in a small device.

As to Border, who or what are they? Never come across them and travel extensively. Seen them mentioned a few times on the forum though.

Best regards

Chris
Old 09-02-2008, 11:25 AM   #9
C6REW
Connoisseur

Hi Guys,

Well I am flabbergasted! There is a Borders in Swindon! Never seen it before, will have to look out for it.

Regards

Chris
Old 09-02-2008, 11:27 AM   #10
Riocaz
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

(deleted cos You beat me too it ;-))

Last edited by Riocaz; 09-02-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:51 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C6REW View Post
Hi Harry & Lee,

Thanks for the comments. I have noticed on the site that if someone dares mention that one product is better than another, there is almost instant rebuke!

But hey, that's understandable.
Not a rebuke, Chris; just that, having owned both a Sony and an iLiad in the past, I think I'm in a position to make a reasonably informed comparison .
Old 09-02-2008, 12:16 PM   #12
C6REW
Connoisseur

Hi Harry,

Far more informed that me I might add.

Just a newbie looking for a solution.

Best regards

Chris
Old 09-02-2008, 12:22 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'm sure you'll love the 505 - it is an excellent reader.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:45 PM   #14
Riocaz

I thoroughly support that statment Harry. ;-)
Old 09-02-2008, 12:59 PM   #15
adriatikfan
Enthusiast
adriatikfan began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
[QUOTE=

Yes. Calibre is a desktop PC app that'll let you manage and convert files to Sony's lrf format.[/QUOTE]

Am I right in understanding that I will be able to use either Calibre or the Sony software for transferring books to my new reader (picking up on Thursday!) but not both.

And therefore if I want to buy books from a range of sources, they have to be ones that Calibre can format.

Best Wishes
David
adriatikfan is offline   Reply With Quote