Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 05-30-2008, 11:55 AM   #16
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
I think what would be appropriate is to organise the sub-forums by popularity first; the more popular software with its own subforum.

And then for the lesser known (popular) software that IS device specific, to be "lumped" together as part of that device specific subforum. Being device specific is tied to being a specific format in the case of .IMP and .LRF; but not for .PRC.

Any lesser known (popular) software that IS NOT device specific could go to a Misc sub-forum.

Now the hard part is defining "popular"; but I guess the user base can voice their opinions here if their software is missing from your sub-forums list.

Your idea of listing these tools in a non-device specific way works primarily for the mobipocket format and not for the Sony or eBookwise formats, so I think a combination of popularity and device specific formats can co-exist as a criteria for the sub-forum list.

We need to flush out the contenders for this sub-forum list, so from my prospective, I nominate:
  • PDFRead
  • Mobi2IMP
  • Using perl scripts to produce .IMP ebooks

Kovidgoyal has already confirmed his affirmation of a Calibre sub-forum and the Mobiperl sub-forum is an obvious choice.

What else belongs there? Anyone care to suggest anything not yet apparent from discussions in this thead?
Well certainly book designer comes to mind. There are several others. Word macros could be useful. There are several PDF converters, not just yours. Mobi2IMP is an perl program to produce IMP eBooks so it could be there. I think encouraging tools is a good thing and having a group will help encourage more development.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:31 PM   #17
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
And then for the lesser known (popular) software that IS device specific, to be "lumped" together as part of that device specific subforum. Being device specific is tied to being a specific format in the case of .IMP and .LRF; but not for .PRC.
I see. This may work for certain tools today, but what about tomorrow? A tool may only support LRF today, but it could add support for Mobi tomorrow. What I am trying to say is that device-specific organization is very inflexible.

I totally agree with you that we could sort subforums by tool popularity.

PDFRead, Mobi2IMP and calibre are definitely great examples for tools that deserve their own subforum. On the other hand, I wouldn't make "Using perl scripts to produce .IMP ebooks" its own subforum because it's really very specific, not really tool-development related, and could work just as well in a single thread in the catch-all category or in the Fictionwise forum.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2008, 01:04 PM   #18
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
I see. This may work for certain tools today, but what about tomorrow? A tool may only support LRF today, but it could add support for Mobi tomorrow. What I am trying to say is that device-specific organization is very inflexible.

I totally agree with you that we could sort subforums by tool popularity.

PDFRead, Mobi2IMP and calibre are definitely great examples for tools that deserve their own subforum. On the other hand, I wouldn't make "Using perl scripts to produce .IMP ebooks" its own subforum because it's really very specific, not really tool-development related, and could work just as well in a single thread in the catch-all category or in the Fictionwise forum.
I agree with your suggestions!

That's exactly why the Fictionwise/ebookwise subforum would be necessary here; for less popular software or software that is very specific.

EDIT: added a .zip of a .html file that details the most downloaded (>150) .zip attachments from Mobileread.com in E-Books and E-Book Devices forums compiled today by me. It is sorted by Forum, Thread and Downloads. This is overkill (includes more than just software), but can be used to base which software should be included. A nice start for those that don't have access to Moderators' tools...
Attached Files
File Type: zip Most downloaded .zip attachments.zip (7.0 KB, 1290 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 05-30-2008 at 01:45 PM. Reason: changed 'Downloads' column spacing in .html to be easier to read.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:08 AM   #19
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Nick.

Let us all consider the tools that require their own forum section. As a prerequisite, a tool must be

a) actively maintained
b) used by a larger user base

All other tools that don't match these two criteria should go in a related collective subforum. Thread prefixes in these subforums will help to identify the tools.

Out of my head I say calibre gets its own section. What other tools?
Old 05-31-2008, 05:20 AM   #20
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
SOunds great!

But instead of "Other tools", I would let the "E-Book Tools" forum contain those topics. Any other topic related with the popular tools would be moved to the respective sub-forum.
This would break with the logic of how our forums are currently set up... none of the MR parent sections contain topics.
Advert
Old 05-31-2008, 11:34 AM   #21
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Out of my head I say calibre gets its own section. What other tools?
I agree... I would say Calibre and Book Designer seem to get the most traffic... Is there some way to count the threads for each software to decide? Will you be able to move all the threads to the appropriate forums. Perhaps just start a calibre one, and then from thread prefixes (is that new?) others can break out naturally.

So, would you do like a parent eBook Software topic and calibre would be a sub-topic?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:45 AM   #22
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

I don't think we should look at hard figures to decide whether a tool requires its own forum section. It's easy to look at the past posts to see which software receives constant attention in both regards, user support and development.

Perhaps your suggestion is the best... start with the most obvious software tools and then add new sections as demand seems fit.

Yeah, moving the threads to the appropriate forum sections is what we would do. We would also decide on the thread prefixes for the catch-all section; the prefixes will contain the names of the more popular tools.

I think having a parent E-Book Tools forum and specific tool subforums works best here.

We do not want to add any restrictions in regard to device type or file format because it would add inflexibility (tools change, devices change, and so would the categories).
Old 06-03-2008, 05:07 PM   #23
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Just a small follow-up: We'll launch the E-Book Tools forum tomorrow, and start with calibre (our most obvious choice). From there we can see how it goes and expand as necessary.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:23 PM   #24
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Just a small follow-up: We'll launch the E-Book Tools forum tomorrow, and start with calibre (our most obvious choice). From there we can see how it goes and expand as necessary.
I would like to see Book Designer added if only because it is currently in a very poor location since it is clearly not just a Sony format tool.

Dale
Old 06-03-2008, 05:28 PM   #25
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Dale, is this the only current thread on Book Designer? If yes, it would probably make more sense to add Book Designer to the list of tools that go in the generic E-Book Tools section, applied with a thread prefix called "Book Designer". We want to avoid dedicated forum sections with little to no traffic.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:38 PM   #26
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Dale, is this the only current thread on Book Designer? If yes, it would probably make more sense to add Book Designer to the list of tools that go in the generic E-Book Tools section, applied with a thread prefix called "Book Designer". We want to avoid dedicated forum sections with little to no traffic.
There are several stickies in the Sony forum such as: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11786

there is also threads on book cleaner which is related to book designer in the Sony forum. I suspect there would be more discussion from other threads it the Sony stuff had more visibility.

Dale
Old 06-04-2008, 02:50 AM   #27
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Alrighty, we can give it a try.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:53 AM   #28
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

A follow-up:

You may have noticed that we're finally continuing our forum reorganization, and we started to add and move around some sections (mainly in the tools/software category). Expect this to take another two or three days.

Cheers
Alex
Old 07-09-2008, 03:08 PM   #29
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
As a newcomer to Mobileread I think a tools section is a wonderful idea. I can't tell you how many irrelevant threads I read to get the basics of how to install and use both Igorsk's scripts and the mobiperl tools. My next foray is Calibre so having everything is one place and "help for dummies" would be awesome!

Can I tell you again what a great forum this is!

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mobileread