Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 09-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
chicki13
chicki13 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Marvin for iphone and OPDS

hoping someone can help me! so excited--i was up late last night downloading the new marvin app and couldn't get my iphone to connect with OPDS. I am able to connect with my Ipad, no trouble!!! I used the same calibre address that is on my ipad on my iphone but it keeps saying "oops, cannot download the feed". it's not an internet issue because i am able to connect to the Feedbooks Public Domain and Project Gutenberg! thanks for any help
chicki13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicki13 View Post
hoping someone can help me! so excited--i was up late last night downloading the new marvin app and couldn't get my iphone to connect with OPDS. I am able to connect with my Ipad, no trouble!!! I used the same calibre address that is on my ipad on my iphone but it keeps saying "oops, cannot download the feed". it's not an internet issue because i am able to connect to the Feedbooks Public Domain and Project Gutenberg! thanks for any help
Double check the address? This happened to me the other day... I was sure the address I entered was correct, but I forgot the /opds at the end. Oops!
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
chicki13
chicki13 began at the beginning.

Device: None
thanks MeSue---I've double checked over and over, address is correct. I know what you mean because I had trouble before with my ipad and found i had incorrect address or put odps instead of opds!!! i think i'll take a break from it and try again later. i'm getting frustrated.
chicki13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicki13 View Post
thanks MeSue---I've double checked over and over, address is correct. I know what you mean because I had trouble before with my ipad and found i had incorrect address or put odps instead of opds!!! i think i'll take a break from it and try again later. i'm getting frustrated.
Sorry... The only other thing I can think of is maybe your signal is spotty? Seems like my iPad does a better job of holding on to a weak wifi signal than my iPhone. If all else fails, force quit the app and try again or reboot the phone. Good luck!
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Having the same problem as chicki13.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Can you copy and paste the OPDS address *exactly* and paste it into Safari's address bar and tell me what happens?
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Is your phone on wifi (same network as Calibre)?

If your phone is on cellular data, you'll need to open and forward ports on your router.

Also to Calibre OPDS is not the same as opds, and Apple's autocorrect capitalizes that automatically.

Art
artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nothing, page won't load. I tried in the xx.xxx.xx.x format and the xx.xxx.xx.x:8080/opds format.

Does that mean the problem is on my end?

EDIT: Yes, phone is on the same WiFi network as the computer running Calibre.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My Calibre is at port 8000, yours is probably at 8080 (the default).

Here is my feed address, as an example.

http://xxxxx:8000/opds

Substitute xxxxx for your address. Notice the OPDS part has to be lower case.

Art
Old 09-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #10
artbatista
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Nothing, page won't load. I tried in the xx.xxx.xx.x format and the xx.xxx.xx.x:8080/opds format.

Does that mean the problem is on my end?

EDIT: Yes, phone is on the same WiFi network as the computer running Calibre.
Can you copy and paste the calibre address from your iPhone setup here?

Art
Old 09-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #11
holymadness
Guru

See attached screenshots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-09-14 at 4.08.28 PM.png
Views:	624
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	111027   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-09-14 16.08.08.png
Views:	639
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	111028  
Old 09-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #12
mariosipad
Guru
mariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watch

Device: iPad & iPhone with Marvin 2 + 3 & Kobo Glo HD
add http://

=>

http://10.211.55.2:8080/opds
mariosipad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #13
holymadness
Guru

Didn't work, unfortunately. Same error as before.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #14
artbatista
Groupie

Works fine for me on both iPhone and iPad with or without the http:// part.

I am at a loss as to why it fails.

To my eyes, everything looks good.

Is calibre on windows or Mac?

Art
Old 09-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #15
holymadness
Guru

Mac, running the latest build of Mountain Lion. Connected to wifi over an Airport Express router.