Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Favourite author(s) and why?

Who are your favourite author(s) and why? Would be interesting to hear people's views on what draws them to certain writers
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I generally like Stephen King and Dean Koontz. They've written some of my favorite stories and I find their work easy to read.

More recently, I've been on the zombie-fic kick and really enjoy Brian Keene and JL Bourne. Their stories really excite me, and I can't put them down once I start.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I agree about Stephen King. Not read anything by Dean Koontz, but obviously seen his work whilst browsing.

I don't think I have a particularly favourite writer, although I do really enjoy reading Issac Asimov, Stephen King and Kurt Vonnegut.

All for different reasons, also. Asimov's creativity in science fiction draws me in more than any other, I think. Like King, his work is easy to read without bordering on complicated (maybe someone can prove me wrong but I have yet to come across one!).

I recently read Slaughterhouse-5 by Kurt Vonnegut and didn't really 'get it' considering how popular it is amongst his followers. I believe he rates it as one of his worst...?! Similarly, Mother Night was a more enjoyable read for me, as well as his short stories in Welcome to the Monkey House and Breakfast of Champions. I really admire Vonnegut's wacky tales and in person, he sounded even more amusing.
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Some of my favourites right now.

+1 for Kurt Vonnegut. For his style, venom and humour. Breakfast of Champions and Cat's Cradle are my favourites so far. I liked Slaughterhouse.

Douglas Coupland is usually a good read for me.
Terry Pratchett for his wit.
Rohinton Mistry for his characterizations and life-changing reads.
Stanley Elkin for his language.
Douglas Adams. Nothing needs to be said here.
John Steinbeck for his characterizations and descriptions of regular life.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have too many favorite authors to list them all.
A small subset:
Robert K. Tanenbaum
Robert. B. Parker
Michael Connolly
Glen Cook
Tee Morris
Peter Abrahams
Simon R. Green
Glen Cook
Rex Stout.
F. Paul Wilson
Margerie Allingham
Janet Evanovich
I like a fair amount of action and snappy/amusing dialogue. I like series, but like it when books on the series can be read stand alone as well. Books by Rex Stout (Nero Wolfe) can be read in any order without feeling that you have missed half of the story or long detailed explanations of what went on in previous books (spoilers).
An ungoing subplot is good and interests me, but I find an odd comfort and even excitement in reading a book in a series with familiar characters that I have not yet read.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I'm not sure I could rationalise why I like any of these, but amateur psychoanalysts could probably find a pattern in there somewhere.

Currently, Blake Crouch, JF Gonzalez, Wrath James White, David Moody.

Recent past, Brian Keene (didn't like his last 2, nothing to do with him being a dick).

Distant past, Harry Harrison, Mick Norman, James Herbert, John Christopher, Robert Heinlein, Richard Allen.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Terry Pratchett and C.J. Cherryh. I think Terry Pratchett's books have as much insight into humanity as do any books out there.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Rex Stout: I love the characters and the mysteries are well done.
Robert Heinlein: He was one of my first favorites as a kid and I still enjoy rereading his books.
Robert Parker: For the characters and an easy read.
Louis L'Amour: I love the way he uses words to describe the landscapes and characters.
Christopher Moore: I love the Satire.
Alexandre Dumas: It is nice to have a classic that is fun to read.
Steven Brust: I love the characters and the writing style of his Khaavren Romances based on Alexandre Dumas.
David Drake: He was one of the first to write good Military Fiction.
And so many others that I can not think of now.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #9
Pullar
Pullar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I'll give a second on Dean Koontz, but also James Patterson, as my top two, but manny many others as well. I love the strange twist the Koontz uses in many of his books, and the realism in some of pattersons.
Pullar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #10
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
Brandon Sanderson is my newest fav author. Not sure what it is about his books that I love, all I know is that I cannot put them down until I am finished.

S
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Many favorites.
Sometimes I'm in the mood for silly fun, but usually it boils down to the worlds in the stories and the characters that populate them. (On occasion the ideas behind the stories might be intriguing and compelling to ponder, but mostly is the worlds.)
Doesn't mean I like *everything* the author does, but the favorites go to the top of the TBR list as soon as the new book comes out.

Off the top of my head:
- Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga - The characters are fun but what makes the stories compelling is the ramifications she finds in biotech. She explores the science, the sociology, and the ethics. And she can spin a tale with style.

- Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle (Oath of Fealty, Mote in Gods Eye, Inferno, etc)

- Isaac Asimov (End of eternity, The Gods Themselves, etc)

- Robert Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Starship Troopers, Beyond this Horizon)

- David Weber (Empire from the Ashes Trilogy) - Modern Space Opera

- David Drake (RCN Saga) - The Librarian from heck.

- Ryk Spoor (Boundary, Threshold) - Hard SF + Paleontology

- John Moore - (Heroics for Beginners, Bad Prince Charlie) - Fractured Fairy Tales!

- Gordon Dickson - (Time Storm, Dragon Knight, Dorsai)

- Poul Anderson - (Tau Zero, There will be Time) Hard SF, compelling characters

- Julie Kenner - (Protectors saga) - fluffy superhero rom-coms

- Geoff Johns - (Green Lantern, Aquaman) - Comics; he's making Aquaman cool, Entourage or not.

Last edited by fjtorres; 02-23-2012 at 05:40 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #12
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
David Dalglish-he's an indie fantasy author. i've bought each of his 11 novels 3 times (in ebook, hard copy and omnibus hardcopy). he combines the best of what i loved about things like Dragonlance as a kid with a far rougher,darker sensibility and a more narrow focus than those books have. i'm a 34 year old man but things like paladins crying out to their god for strength as they face hordes of undead will never stop being cool.

BV Larson. he's a semi-indie sci-fi/fantasy author. his Star Force series just fills me with nerdy glee. its basically about a computer programmer using nano-machines like a glorified lego set to build equipment to use in battle against a mechanized alien fleet. its just a fun series and has a classic "the scientist will save us all" 1950s sci-fi film feel.

Vaughn Heppner. he's another indie sci-fi/fantasy author. i really like his Doom Star series which involves an orwellian/communist nightmare version of earth locked in battle against a race of genetically engineered, fascistic supermen. its like two political extremes locked in battle with the main character, who just wants to be left alone, trapped in the middle. its an absolute political allegory but the series is a lot of fun.

Larry Correia. i'm a big fan of his Monster Hunter International series, which for all intents and purposes is testosterone fueled urban fantasy about a group of bounty hunters tasked with defending the world against all manner of monsters and elder gods. great characters and fun reads.

i notice a common thread: i read purely for fun and things that i find nerdy/cool. literary merit be damned .
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #13
RichL
Evangelist
RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: back to x51v
Lawrence Ferlinghetti because he is able to show both the beauty and the horror of our everyday lives with a few well chosen commonplace words.
RichL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:55 PM   #14
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Lois McMaster Bujold, hands down. Because in addition to writing intricately plotted books that nevertheless manage to be character-driven, her writing is brilliant and occasionally, in some books, ascends to the luminous.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
My favorite author: Subject to change without notice

Hindsight: There have been more female authors than male on the list.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote