Fain began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500
Engadget Article on Sony Reader

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/24/h...e-sony-reader/
Fain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:45 PM   #2
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
comments on these kind of articles are getting boring. 75% are those who think an eink ebook reader is or should be a large pda. These people have no clue at all about the technology, and most certainly haven't seen it in real life.

Another 20% knows what it's about, but demands that the reader can be bought for less than 100 dollar. I don't know, but at this day and age, what can I buy for 100 dollar? Or some other ridicilous wishes.

And then comes the 5% who owns the reader and defends it... until the next story emerge again....
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2007, 10:20 PM   #3
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Part of me thinks that the fact that there were 90 comments... in a single day... is significant. It means a lot of people are thinking about it, and even if the reader isn't perfect for them, they're taking the time to say something about it.

Yes, many of the comments were specious, denigrating, juvenile. But even they point out that the Sony device either needs work, or needs to be better marketed (or both). Clearly it should at least be marketed well enough that no one will have the excuse of "not seeing the point" of an e-book reader, even if the Sony is not the reader for them.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:45 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What a bunch of twits (overall). They are making comments that are so childish.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:09 AM   #5
visionarycat
visionarycat began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Are people buying this thing? Has it developed a following? Is there a community devoted to software and hardware hacks? We're honestly not sure
Jeezus, don't the guys at engadget know how to use GOOGLE?! When I was first contemplating purchasing my sony reader a month or two ago (I had read about it before when Sony first announced the reader's release, but was scared off by the price-point and Sony's history of crippling excellent hardware with their propriety formats), the first thing I did was google "sony reader" and mobileread was one of the first hits.
visionarycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2007, 08:18 PM   #6
Fain
Fain began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionarycat View Post
Jeezus, don't the guys at engadget know how to use GOOGLE?! When I was first contemplating purchasing my sony reader a month or two ago (I had read about it before when Sony first announced the reader's release, but was scared off by the price-point and Sony's history of crippling excellent hardware with their propriety formats), the first thing I did was google "sony reader" and mobileread was one of the first hits.
Exactly what I thought.

"Is there a community devoted to software and hardware hacks? We're honestly not sure" - quote from the article

...Google? MobileRead. 30 second glance at the Sony Reader Forum dedicated to the Sony Reader might suggest that there is a community...and what's this? And entire sub-board for development/hacks? Hrmm.

Google is your friend Engadget. Use it.
Fain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:17 PM   #7
monkeywrench
Connoisseur
monkeywrench began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionarycat View Post
What I find even funnier about this is that the people that don't bother to use Google or any search engine for that matter also don't bother to read any of the other comments before they post. There is a comment pointing out Mobileread within the first 10 comments posted to that Engadget article. I'll post it below.

Quote:
yes, there is an online support group that even uploads books for people for this fantastic device....

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:44 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
For Engadget, noticing anything that isn't a cell phone seems to be a big step, I expect that most of their readers read them because the like that.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote