Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-10-2014, 05:29 PM   #1
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
copy2kindle: OS X, CLI tool to copy files to USB-attached kindle

Hi folks.

I have quickly hacked a tool to stop drag-and-dropping files into Kindle manually and instead let The Almighty Computer figure out where the heck the Kindle "documents" folder is and why the heck it is not mounted.

https://github.com/dottedmag/copy2kindle

Currently OS X only. Other OSes are support to add if anyone would like to.

See my plans for this utility here: https://github.com/dottedmag/copy2ki...ob/master/TODO

Why not Calibre? I can't stand neither UI nor CLI interface of it, nor the size of the software.
dottedmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:51 PM   #2
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
usbnetwork has rsync also...
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:44 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinmaine View Post
usbnetwork has rsync also...
Too simple a solution, and does not require re-inventing wheel.

Set-up on PC, directory structure representing the desired collection structure and fill with books.
Keep PC organization up to date with your desired layout.

Use provided rsync to keep Kindle up-to date.

Call librarian-sync with the "collections from directory structure" option.
Like magic, the Kindle's collections and books are now what was set-up as the model on the PC.

Done.

shoot, I might even be able to do that.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:29 AM   #4
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Uhm, my script is not for maintaining a large collection on Kindle (I found out it becomes a horrible mess), but for easily pushing books to it.

I used to use e-mail feature to directly put things on Kindle, but it turned out that "to read" queue is becoming unmanageable this way.

So, basically once I read everything on Kindle, I do fire up copy2kindle ~/toread/2014-10/* and here we go for another month.

Doing it with librarian is definitely possible, but all the library would not fit on a single Kindle.
dottedmag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mobi, osx, usb