Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-23-2010, 12:20 AM   #1
iReaderReview
Banned
iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.

Device: kindle 2
Exclusive Kindle 3 comparison photos, kindle 3 video review

Please let me know if this isn't the right forum.

Got a Kindle 3 review unit from Amazon and was able to get a lot of good comparison photos - http://ireaderreview.com/kindle-3-la...arison-photos/

It includes Kindle 3 vs Kindle 2, Sony Touch Edition, Nook, Kindle 2 US, iPad, Kindle DX 2, and Kindle DX.

Also Kindle 3 Review Videos - http://ireaderreview.com/kindle-2-vi...ideos-daytime/

The posts link to other post with more photos including photos of the new features like the WebKit Browser.

Let me know if you have any Kindle 3 related questions and I'll do my best to answer.

Abhi
iReaderReview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
This is awesome, thank you. It's nice to clearly see the differences between the various devices. The K3 really does have a whiter white, better contrast, and over all just looks sharper.

The new browser is a huge improvement as well. I wish the video of that part had been in sharper focus, but it still looks great.

Last edited by carld; 08-23-2010 at 12:45 AM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 12:58 AM   #3
iReaderReview
Banned
iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.

about the browser

I'll try to get a better video up tomorrow.

Montreal has had rain the last few days and there just isn't enough light. Were there any specific things about the browser you want discussed/covered?
Old 08-23-2010, 01:11 AM   #4
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
If you could just run it through a few different pages, that'd be great. I'm interested in how the browser handles forums like MR too, though any forum would probably do. What happens when you go to a page with Java or Flash? I'm assuming it just show some default "plugin not supported" graphic or something like that.

Thanks again, awesome job. I thought we'd have to wait another week to get a closer look at the K3.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:53 AM   #5
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Brilliant thank you. I've been an avid reader of your blog for some time now.

I'd like some comparison shots of the new webkit compared to the same website with K2 please to get a feel for how it differs.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 04:36 AM   #6
901hw
Connoisseur
901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is

Device: Trekstor Pyrus Mini, PB Touch Lux 2, Onxy Boox C67ML (maybe))
What do you think of the lighted cover? Does it really lighten up the whole page? Because even in your photos it still doesnt look like it. I like to read in bed lying on my right side. As the light is on the right can one move it a few degrees upward so that one can just rest the kindle on the bed? Also you say in your review that some pdf annotating capabilites are still missing? Which? Can one easily export the highlights in a pdf, preferably even save them in the pdf?
Thank you for the excellent review.
901hw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:08 AM   #7
iReaderReview
Banned

via kindle 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
Brilliant thank you. I've been an avid reader of your blog for some time now.

I'd like some comparison shots of the new webkit compared to the same website with K2 please to get a feel for how it differs.
mobileread shows up fine and this reply is via kindle 3.

a bit awkward but works.

old k2 used to show mobile versions or break down and show links. i will
Old 08-23-2010, 05:15 AM   #8
iReaderReview
Banned

quick replies

CarlD,
will do that in the next video.

Mobileread was working fine. Then couldn't find a way to write a long reply. It's really late here so will try to see if MR works perfectly tomorrow.

TheKindleWorm,
i'll add photos. have some already. Have 300-400 photos. It's just really slow to add them in wordpress.

Kindle 2 basically tries to make a best effort attempt at showing links and usually breaks down with complex sites like espn.com or nytimes.

elaborate menus becomse a list of links. elements over each other.

Kindle 3 captures structure perfectly.
901hw,

Have read with nothing except the LED light multiple nights. It works fine. The problem with the photo is that the camera requires a lot more light. If you look at the one image in nightime photos which says super low light. That's almost readable via the naked eye but camera can't catch it.

The Light is more than enough.

Don't fully understand your question about laying the Kindle down

PDF's have to play around with more. Just checked that notes and highlights work. Not sure why I wrote some stuff is missing - perhaps I was thinking two column view and things like that. Notes and Highlights seem to work fine.

Have to try out PDFs more.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:29 AM   #9
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Web browsing in article mode looks awesome. Do you get the same browsing features in KDXg?

Last edited by thinkpad; 08-23-2010 at 05:37 AM.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:11 AM   #10
samjohnno
samjohnno began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Lighted Cover Flexible/adjust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 901hw View Post
What do you think of the lighted cover? Does it really lighten up the whole page? Because even in your photos it still doesnt look like it. I like to read in bed lying on my right side. As the light is on the right can one move it a few degrees upward so that one can just rest the kindle on the bed? Also you say in your review that some pdf annotating capabilites are still missing? Which? Can one easily export the highlights in a pdf, preferably even save them in the pdf?
Thank you for the excellent review.
I think what 901hw was trying to ask was if the light was adjustable to suit his posture. (my interpretation)

But on that regards, I wanted to know if the light is flexible and if you can adjust the light angle to better distribute light. Alot of the photo's ive seen, including one of yours shows most of the light concentrated at the upper right quadrant, and little at the bottom left.

BTW, your pictures and reviews are excellent. Really appreciate it. Waiting for more!
samjohnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:03 AM   #11
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
Thanks very much.

Genuinely useful comparisons - it's looking like a good step forward for the tech and I've already had friends who previously had no interest in ereaders telling me about the new Kindle. Seems like this could be a development that pushes forward penetration of ereading devices in general, not only those made by Amazon.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:16 AM   #12
901hw
Connoisseur
901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is

Device: Trekstor Pyrus Mini, PB Touch Lux 2, Onxy Boox C67ML (maybe))
hi thank you so much for your answers already
I mean when I want to lie the Kindle on its right side in the cover if the light can still be used? I dont want to have to hold the kindle up just for the light. I usually read books by leaning them onto their side in bed. Thanks
901hw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #13
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
How do you find the page turn buttons? They are essentially on the edge of the reader, so compared to other ereaders it certainly is rather different. Do you find accidental presses when reading or do you feel they are rather well placed and designed?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #14
iReaderReview
Banned

more replies

Thinkpadx,
Kindle DX 2 doesn't have this article mode feature yet. It also doesn't have the new webkit browser.
It's likely it'll get them sometime soon - however, Amazon hasn't said anything.

samjohno,
thanks for the kind words. It was a struggle with the photos since don't have any photography skills.

The light is definitely a tiny bit flexible. Haven't tried to adjust it a lot. That being said the top corner does get more illumination than the opposite corner. Didn't find any way to evenly or better distribute light.

Basically, the extension is plastic and flexible - it moves around fine but then it doesn't stay that way. It does shift a little bit - but wouldn't call it flexible or expect it to be flexible. If you rest it on the side then you can change how the light is distributed (by using the weight of the Kindle to keep the plastic stem curved).

901hw,
I read books on the side too. It works fine. The extension for the LED light is pretty flexible so it works on either side. In fact if you rest it on the LED light side you can adjust lighting and keep it at whatever angle you like (there's not total flexibility but quite a lot).

Solicitous,
The Page turn buttons wrap around but you have to apply pressure from the front. Played around with them a lot.

It's strange that even though they're around the edge you can't press them if you pressure just from the side - there has to be force from the front.

So -
Pressing perfectly along the Kindle's edge doesn't press them.
Pressing diagonally - does press them.
Press from the front does press them.

To be safe it's best to hold them a little at the back - so to make sure there's no forward pressure you hold them so that there's a little pressure from the back.

Imagine a line cutting through the edge of the Kindle and extending the plane of the Kindle - You have to make sure you're either exactly on that line or a little behind it. Otherwise the button gets pushed by the forward component of the pressure you apply.

In practice the buttons are very easy to work with and don't get pushed accidentally.

They are thinner though.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:56 AM   #15
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Great review!

Nice to see all the different things it can do. I'm anxiously waiting for my 1st Kindle.

Dean
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote