Notices

Old 06-25-2010, 10:08 PM   #91
steph_g
Book Lover
steph_g doesn't littersteph_g doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
iBooks (the one that looks worse) is there in all of its mostly-default glory, with the only change being that I turned on full justification. That's the terrible default font of Palatino at the default font size. I'm not sure I'd blame the source material for it looking terrible.
I sure don't think iBooks is the one that looks worse in this example. I like the way iBooks looks for every book I've read so far. I far prefer it to Stanza, B & N, Kindle, etc. I think it's great that we have so many choices, so everyone can just pick the reader they like. Why not just agree to disagree?
steph_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:30 PM   #92
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
Well, Apple didn't help. I got disconnected after about 45 minutes of them doing researching and checking in every few minutes. But I did delete all of the books on my phone (not as easy as you would think, or maybe something was just seriously wrong with how they went on my phone in the first place and that was causing all of my problems) and then added just a few. Everything works as I expected, even if it is ssssslllllooooowwww. I have no idea what the problem was, but am happy that it seems to be working now. Thank you for the help!

Last edited by kathyfitz; 06-25-2010 at 10:35 PM.
kathyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 10:31 PM   #93
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
I'm glad you got it fixed.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:51 PM   #94
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
I'm reading an ePub version of a book that I created in Stanza Desktop. Looks great on Stanza for iPhone (I have an iPhone 4) but the margins are crazy on iBooks 1.1! With the same font size on both apps, I only get about 4-5 words per line in iBooks, and twice that in Stanza.

I'm going to have to figure out how to reconvert my ePub books to work in iBooks if I want to use it, it looks like.
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #95
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekchic View Post
I'm reading an ePub version of a book that I created in Stanza Desktop. Looks great on Stanza for iPhone (I have an iPhone 4) but the margins are crazy on iBooks 1.1! With the same font size on both apps, I only get about 4-5 words per line in iBooks, and twice that in Stanza.

I'm going to have to figure out how to reconvert my ePub books to work in iBooks if I want to use it, it looks like.
Try full justification on the iPhone iBooks-I think Stanza is set to that in your example.

But I don't think changing the ePub CSS will change the margin settings in iBooks-I think it ignores the margin settings.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 04:56 PM   #96
tekchic
Zealot

I don't see a full justification setting inside of iPhone iBooks app -- do you know where it is?
Old 06-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #97
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't see a full justification setting inside of iPhone iBooks app -- do you know where it is?
In the iPhone Settings. Scroll way down to the apps section.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:06 PM   #98
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
While iBooks does have a larger-than-Stanza margin, the default is much smaller than the one you display above; your book must contain some margin settings in the CSS that Stanza is blissfully ignoring.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:06 PM   #99
tekchic
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
In the iPhone Settings. Scroll way down to the apps section.
Got it, thanks! It's slightly wider that way, but still an average of 4-5 words per line. I'll do some "tinkering" with conversions tonight and see if I can get a little less margin out of it.

I noticed that the free ePub books I downloaded from within iBooks (Walden, Heart of Darkness, etc) seem to have much wider margins.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #100
kjk

Quote:
Got it, thanks! It's slightly wider that way, but still an average of 4-5 words per line. I'll do some "tinkering" with conversions tonight and see if I can get a little less margin out of it.

I noticed that the free ePub books I downloaded from within iBooks (Walden, Heart of Darkness, etc) seem to have much wider margins.
Great! Let us know if you find a CSS variable that affects margins in iBooks!