Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-30-2010, 06:23 PM   #1
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Got my Kobo today!!!

After reading here for some time I was well aware of the problems associated with the Kobo reader, but was still more than willing to get one. Well, today I did and here are my initial actions and impressions.

The first thing I did was plug in the Kobo and delete the .sqlite database. The purpose was to rid the device of the 100 free books since I can easily add any I want at a later date. Note: Upon unplugging the Kobo the sqlite database was recreated with only the new content I added.

I then went to the Kobobooks website and removed all titles from the "I'm reading" section. I have all of these books unencumbered as ePubs anyway and will add them later manually.

I then installed the desktop software and set it up using my kobobooks account. I do not plan on using the desktop software at all until the issues with it are resolved. As it is only really required for firmware updates, I will wait until there is one before I open it again.

I then opened Calibre, which recognized the Kobo right away and synced the books I had already converted, or added, to Calibre.

Lastly, I unplugged the Kobo and waited for it to load, which took less than a minute. I have been playing with it since and have experienced nothing that I would consider a problems at all.

The only thing I have noticed so far is that it does not display the book cover when I power it off. It just shows the Kobo screen. Not a real problem, but it would look cool if it showed the cover. It does show covers correctly in the books list.

Oh yeah. I am also wondering if there are multiple software revisions running around out there. I am using 1.0 (mar 29 2010) revision 58. Does everyone have the same? I imagine we all have the same, but am curious anyway. This information can be found under settings.

Anyway, so far I love it and will report back once I play with it some more.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
A good report enjoy your Kobo
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2010, 08:18 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Nice!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:59 PM   #4
EtherealWinter
The Omega and Alpha
EtherealWinter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
It used to show the covers for me but now it doesn't for some books, but i guess that doesnt matter. Good luck with yur kobo
EtherealWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
Gordo29
Connoisseur
Gordo29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-1st Porcelain 2nd Black, Touch, Aura, now Libra H2O
I'm happy with my Kobo too and am waiting for the firmware upgrade. My version is the same as yours (Ver 1.0 rev 58) and just got mine (2nd one) on May 28.

p.s. this was the same version as my first one which was out of the first shipment as I had pre-ordered.
Gordo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert