Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-27-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Boy that Gizmodo just don't like the 600 or the 900 already

http://gizmodo.com/5411057/black-fri...hat-not-to-buy

Sony PRS-600 Touch Edition Reader: Sony has long been a proponent of the e-ink ebook, but they keep messing it up by overlaying it with a resistive touchscreen. The trouble is glare—even in the gentle light of a reading lamp, you can see your reflection as you try to make out the page. Some reviewers don't mind this for some reason, but we do, and besides, with so many ebook options out there, why settle for a compromised machine? (We haven't reviewed the upcoming Sony PRS-900 Daily Edition, but we have been told that the touchscreen is constructed the same. This is bad news for Sony. Steer clear!)
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I can understand it, though.. nice as the devices are that touch screen is something that flat out precludes me from purchasing it, too. I find the glare far too distracting.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
TGNY
Enthusiast
TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-600
What do they know? Its just a guying writing that, Im sure he is not an ebook expert...
TGNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:45 PM   #4
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I have a Sony PRS-600 and it's my first reader ever. There might be better models out, but I love my reader and it goes everwhere with me.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:35 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I can understand it, though.. nice as the devices are that touch screen is something that flat out precludes me from purchasing it, too. I find the glare far too distracting.
It's very much down to personal preference. The PRS-600 is my personal favourite out of all the readers I own. The convenience of screen annotation and dictionary lookup for me personally enormously outweigh the marginal reduction in clarity caused by the touch screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2009, 06:55 AM   #6
AndreiC
Enthusiast
AndreiC began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle 2 International
I think that guy doesn't really know what he's talking about.

I find that outdoors reading is great while indoors (even in full darkness) with a MightyBright XtraFlex2 reading is just perfect (better than a real book).

This is why I'm using my PRS-600 more and more instead of my Kindle 2, just because I find it more readable (Kindle 2's dark background is pretty unnatural and annoying).

"you can see your reflection" is just misleading; in the worst case you'll just be able to see a rough contour (if you tilt the reader in a bad angle), and not at all your reflection (as in mirror-like) like it might be implied by that statement.
AndreiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:52 AM   #7
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiC View Post
"you can see your reflection" is just misleading; in the worst case you'll just be able to see a rough contour (if you tilt the reader in a bad angle), and not at all your reflection (as in mirror-like) like it might be implied by that statement.
What a shame - was hoping I could ditch the mirror
Old 11-28-2009, 10:47 AM   #8
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
What a shame - was hoping I could ditch the mirror
But what will you use to put your lipstick on then?
Old 11-28-2009, 10:53 AM   #9
Katti's Cat
Wizard

Lipstick, Lipstick, hmmmm I think i got some somewhere. Yup found it.

Gimme minute - trying Sony now as mirror replacement.

Uhh Ohh that didn't work so good.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:08 AM   #10
kennyc

Quote:

Old 11-28-2009, 11:26 AM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:

Are you saying that your Sony Reader sucks as a mirror? I'm shocked... shocked I tell you.

I've played with he 700 and screen was fine, the 600 looks better than the 700 (to me). Users can decide on their own if they have an issue. Most probably won't.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:04 PM   #12
Houndx
Groupie
Houndx doesn't litterHoundx doesn't litter

Device: A81 MID, Dell Streak
Personally, the finish of the screen means about jack to me since I'll be installing a screen protector on any device I purchase - especially a device with a touch screen. Matte screen protectors are readily available, so problem solved.
Houndx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:28 PM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndx View Post
Personally, the finish of the screen means about jack to me since I'll be installing a screen protector on any device I purchase - especially a device with a touch screen. Matte screen protectors are readily available, so problem solved.

That will reduce the contrast and sensitivity even more.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #14
Houndx
Groupie
Houndx doesn't litterHoundx doesn't litter

Device: A81 MID, Dell Streak
A good screen protector won't have a noticeable impact on sensitivity and lowered contrast is a sacrifice you choose to make, or not, in order to not end up with a scratched screen. Using a touch screen with a stylus WILL result in a scratched screen without a protector installed.

I think if I can live with an lcd/protector that I can live with eink/protector.
Houndx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:01 PM   #15
Katti's Cat
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Are you saying that your Sony Reader sucks as a mirror? I'm shocked... shocked I tell you.
Problem might have been me. (Not enough sleep, big nite out) - any mirror might have failed last nite