Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #16
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...density#Amazon
For sizing.

I got Xephyr running with just 4 support libs IIRC.
selinux and a couple of others.

Got my armel fs built - just figuring out how to use mkfs.ext3 for the eleventy billionth time. Err. hmm.. yeah. *goes to read docs*
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #17
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
In future I want to be able to send Debian to background and display some small, non-intrusive window in case of notifications (new message of smth).
I was working on porting xosd. perhaps have a look at that?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/libxosd/

Last edited by twobob; 11-04-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Advert
Old 11-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #18
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Got my armel fs built - just figuring out how to use mkfs.ext3 for the eleventy billionth time. Err. hmm.. yeah. *goes to read docs*
Creating an ext3 filesystem from the git-go can often require more ram that what you have (unless your running swap).

TIP:
Create the filesystem first as an ext2 system.
Then use tune2fs to add the journal (making it an ext3 system).

Doing the file system creation in two steps like that can be done with much less free ram.

NOTE:
Unlike ext2 (or FAT), ext3 can be re-sized "hot" (mounted and in-use).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #19
khseal
Enthusiast
khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle Touch
It's cool, but also very difficult. I do not have enough knowledge to put Debian is on Kindle Touch. It would be nice to write detailed instructions or to create a package to install ...
khseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #20
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Creating an ext3 filesystem from the git-go can often require more ram that what you have (unless your running swap).

TIP:
Create the filesystem first as an ext2 system.
Then use tune2fs to add the journal (making it an ext3 system).

Doing the file system creation in two steps like that can be done with much less free ram.

NOTE:
Unlike ext2 (or FAT), ext3 can be re-sized "hot" (mounted and in-use).
Very helpful! thanks as ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by khseal View Post
It's cool, but also very difficult. I do not have enough knowledge to put Debian is on Kindle Touch. It would be nice to write detailed instructions or to create a package to install ...
Hmm.. I'm looking into what it actually means.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Debi...n_Kindle_Touch

would be the major stumbling block for those unfamiliar with creating the actual storage.

me@dev ~/ $ sudo multistrap -a armel -d /multistrap-debian-sid -f ~/SID/simple-config

Where ~/SID/simple-config is

Quote:
[General]
unpack=true
debootstrap=Grip
aptsources=Debian

[Grip]
packages=ntpdate udev lrzsz netcat telnetd
source=http://www.emdebian.org/grip
keyring=emdebian-archive-keyring
suite=sid-grip

[Debian]
packages=
source=http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian
keyring=debian-archive-keyring
suite=sid
should create the file system in /multistrap-debian-sid

do the:

Quote:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/debian.ext3 bs=1M count=1280
mkfs.ext3 /tmp/debian.ext3
tune2fs -i 0 -c 0 /tmp/debian.ext3
#mkdir /mnt/debian ???
mount -o loop -t ext3 /tmp/debian.ext3 /mnt/debian
EDIT: NOTE! that is 1.3 Gb you don't NEEEED one so large. I'm seeing what a good size might be.

and sudo cp -R the contents of one into the other...

Quote:
me@dev ~$ sudo mount -o loop -t ext3 /tmp/debian.ext3 /mnt/loop1
me@dev ~$ sudo cp -R /multistrap-debian-sid/* /mnt/loop1/
me@dev ~$ sudo umount /mnt/loop1

(optional)

me@dev ~$ cp /tmp/debian.ext3 ~/IMAGES-FOR-DEBIAN/debian.ext3
me@dev ~$ rsync -uvL --ipv4 --ignore-times --progress --inplace ~/IMAGES-FOR-DEBIAN/debian.ext3 root@kt:/mnt/us/debian.ext3
do a umount /mnt/debian and then shove the debian.ext3 on the Kindles FAT partition... via sftp or w/e

(in progress, takes about 15 -20 mins over wifi for 1.3Gb for example, drink Tea)

Last edited by twobob; 11-30-2012 at 10:52 AM. Reason: sudo, umount not unmount, optionally rsync
Advert
Old 11-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #21
twobob

EDIT: REMEMBER TO LAUNCH WITH THE debian.sh PROVIDED BY DOS!
THAT WILL FIX THE RESOLV.CONF ISSUES OUTLINED HERE

Spoiler:
Quote:
Oh, this one. Your quoted config is ok, you'll add other repos later, after installation.

When you're done, chroot into it on device and create file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/fso.list with content:
Code:
deb http://pkg-fso.alioth.debian.org/debian unstable main
Then just apt-get update and you're ready
Code:
[root@kindle root]# chroot /mnt/debian /bin/bash
bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF-8)
Code:
I have no name!@kindle:/# nano -w /etc/apt/sources.list.d/fso.list
bash: nano: command not found
I have no name!@kindle:/# vi -w /etc/apt/sources.list.d/fso.list
bash: vi: command not found
I have no name!@kindle:/# cat > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/fso.list << EOF
> deb http://pkg-fso.alioth.debian.org/debian unstable main
> EOF
Quote:
I have no name!@kindle:/# apt-get update
Err http://pkg-fso.alioth.debian.org unstable InRelease

Err http://pkg-fso.alioth.debian.org unstable Release.gpg
Could not resolve 'pkg-fso.alioth.debian.org'
Err http://ftp.uk.debian.org sid InRelease

Err http://ftp.uk.debian.org sid Release.gpg
Could not resolve 'ftp.uk.debian.org'
Reading package lists... Done
W: Failed to fetch http://pkg-fso.alioth.debian.org/deb...able/InRelease

W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/dists/sid/InRelease

W: Failed to fetch http://pkg-fso.alioth.debian.org/deb...le/Release.gpg Could not resolve 'pkg-fso.alioth.debian.org'

W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/dists/sid/Release.gpg Could not resolve 'ftp.uk.debian.org'

W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
I have no name!@kindle:/#
need to tidy that up

EDIT:

[root@kindle root]# cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/debian/etc/resolv.conf
(from the native 3)

Last edited by twobob; 11-05-2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #22
twobob

EDIT: REMEMBER TO RUN:

/var/lib/dpkg/info/dash.preinst install

AND

dpkg --configure -a

apt-get install dialog locales

dpkg-reconfigure locales

TO PREVENT THE ISSUES OUTLINED HERE!
Spoiler:

---------------------------------------------------------
hmm adduser is unhappy.

I have no name!@kindle:/# groups
Quote:
groups: cannot find name for group ID 0
I have no name!@kindle:/# groupadd users
Quote:
groupadd: cannot open /etc/group
adduser: `/etc/adduser.conf' does not exist. Using defaults.
adduser: The GID 65534 does not exist.
I have no name!@kindle:/etc# touch /etc/group

I have no name!@kindle:/etc# adduser me
Quote:
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = "en_US.UTF-8",
LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
adduser: `/etc/adduser.conf' does not exist. Using defaults.
Adding user `me' ...
Adding new group `me' (1001) ...
Adding new user `me' (1000) with group `me' ...
useradd: cannot open /etc/passwd
I have no name!@kindle:/etc# touch /etc/passwd
I have no name!@kindle:/etc# /usr/sbin/useradd -d /home/me -g me -s /bin/bash -u 1000 me

I have no name!@kindle:/etc# login
Quote:
login: PAM Failure, aborting: Critical error - immediate abort
errr.... I'll google it

I have no name!@kindle:/etc# ldd /bin/login | grep libpam.so
Quote:
/bin/bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF-8)
libpam.so.0 => /lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libpam.so.0 (0x40002000)
hmm well I read http://content.hccfl.edu/pollock/AUnix2/PAM-Help.htm and am still non the wiser. I'll come back to it tomorrow now I think.

Last edited by twobob; 11-21-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #23
dos1
20% cooler.
dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
a) Use debian.sh script instead of chrooting manually. It does whole /etc/resolv.conf, /dev, /sys etc. handling for you
b) Seems like you forgot to do "dpkg --configure -a" after first chrooting into Debian. multistrap instructions should say that

After that, I suggest "apt-get install dialog" and "dpkg-reconfigure locales" in order to select locales to build.
dos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #24
twobob

Quote:
a) Use debian.sh script instead of chrooting manually. It does whole /etc/resolv.conf, /dev, /sys etc. handling for you
b) Seems like you forgot to do "dpkg --configure -a" after first chrooting into Debian. multistrap instructions should say that

After that, I suggest "apt-get install dialog" and "dpkg-reconfigure locales" in order to select locales to build.
hmm yeah. looks like. I'll give it another go
Old 11-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #25
dos1
20% cooler.
dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
http://wiki.debian.org/Multistrap#St...eeze_and_later

Here are detailed instructions. I actually haven't done all of that and I had to fix everything manually, but it wasn't that hard
dos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #26
twobob

Quote:
http://wiki.debian.org/Multistrap#St...eeze_and_later

Here are detailed instructions. I actually haven't done all of that and I had to fix everything manually, but it wasn't that hard
I'll use your script next time. just wiping the partition now. 10 mins and ill have another try

EDIT: And Yes, I missed that bit . doh

Last edited by twobob; 11-04-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #27
twobob

okay. I have got up to the "able to install stuff" stage.

Not sure if I mentioned I was testing this on a 3

Will flip over the the 5 now and test the Xephyr piggybacking in the morning : )

Thanks for the tips.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:45 AM   #28
twobob

Paper white is 212 dpi not 180. according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...density#Amazon
Old 11-05-2012, 04:58 AM   #29
twobob

Now on the Touch:

[root@kindle root]# debian.sh
Quote:
[*] Mounting Rootfs...[*] Preparing Filesystem...
mount: mount point /mnt/debian/etc/mtab does not exist[*] Preparing Network Connections...[*] Starting Debian shell...
root@kindle:/# apt-get install matchbox-window-manager matchbox-keyboard-im sgt-puzzles xserver-xephyr vala-terminal
Old 11-05-2012, 05:17 AM   #30
twobob

Quote:
It should work on Touch, but some minor modifications will be needed (for instance size of Xephyr window and DPI settings)

But I don't own Touch, so I couldn't try it. Do it and tell us results

PS. I'll prepare repository with meta package for automatic installation of this environment, so getting it to work will be much easier. I'll include full sources for every patch together with it (now must wait for friend to became online, cause he was kind enough to give me his CPU time for qemu building and all sources are on his PC )
another change

/etc/mtab doesn't exist on the touch AFAICT

Tags
debian, kindle, paperwhite