Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
solaris1
solaris1 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
reader unloded after fews hours of reading

I've bought a new kobo touch few weeks ago, and I've already loaded the battery 3 times after few hours of reading. I've got an other Kobo touch in the house and I only load it after a month ( I read 3/4 hours every day).
the reader holds the 2.0.0 firmware , but why should I load it after 4/5 hours of reading?
solaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Sounds like the battery is in a bad condition. Even with Wifi on you should get way more reading time out of a full battery than 4-5 hours.

You could check:
1. are you sure you've charged it to complete fullness before unplugging it? (You see a check mark √ in the battery icon instead of a 'plug')
2. when charging, does the device stay connected constantly? (Green led light on the top constantly on or not?) There have been some issues with the USB socket on the kobo being loose.

If I were you I'd try a charge one more time, maybe with a different USB cable than you're used to and preferably from a wall charger instead of a computer USB socket.

If that gives you the same small amount of reading hours, bring it back to where you bought it under warranty! Either the battery is bad, or the connection is broken (causing it to not be able to charge properly). Have it exchanged for a new Touch, or (what I'd do) get your money back and pre-order a Glo
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
solaris1

Thank you Mrs Often for your reply. My Kobo has not been connected to wifi, I don't need it, I loaded once through usb on computer and twice through android wall charger. And yes I did see the check mark, so I'll try once more and check how many hours reading time it last and then think about exchange or refund of money, it might be difficult because I bought it while on holidays this summer in France.
And maybe bring it back to firmware 1.9.17
Old 09-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
Very precise and intelligent response Mrs_Often.

I'd add to solaris1: try charging the KT directly from the computer. I have already had a problem with one of my chargers, so it's perhaps the culprit (even if you see the check mark on the KT).

If the battery is not damaged, it could take a few cycles to be functional anew (the battery must be recalibrated).
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arios View Post
Very precise and intelligent response Mrs_Often.
Aww thanks Arios

Quote:
I'd add to solaris1: try charging the KT directly from the computer. I have already had a problem with one of my chargers, so it's perhaps the culprit (even if you see the check mark on the KT).

If the battery is not damaged, it could take a few cycles to be functional anew (the battery must be recalibrated).
Yes indeed, thanks for the addition.
Advert
Old 09-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Kobo devices are covered with a one year manufacturers warranty. I understand that buying it in France and now being back home in The Netherlands makes exercising the warranty more difficult.

I know that people in this sort of pickle have been known to buy a second--identical in terms of colour--device, then check to make sure it works well, and then return the first defective device in the box (with a factory reset done of course) and with the receipt for device #2. I believe they are honest about what is wrong with the device, but simply decline to get a replacement, getting the money back instead. Some would say that it's a non-standard way of returning a broken device under warranty for a new non-defective one.

Only you can decide if this kind of solution feel comfortable to you.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Kobo devices are covered with a one year manufacturers warranty. I understand that buying it in France and now being back home in The Netherlands makes exercising the warranty more difficult.

I know that people in this sort of pickle have been known to buy a second--identical in terms of colour--device, then check to make sure it works well, and then return the first defective device in the box (with a factory reset done of course) and with the receipt for device #2. I believe they are honest about what is wrong with the device, but simply decline to get a replacement, getting the money back instead. Some would say that it's a non-standard way of returning a broken device under warranty for a new non-defective one.

Only you can decide if this kind of solution feel comfortable to you.
That's a good suggestion.

I vaguely recall though, that people from Europe with Touch problems that arrange a replacement via Kobo instead of through the place where they bought the device have to send their device to The Netherlands... So if you ARE in the Netherlands (I'm not sure where Taming got that info), you might have a legit way of returning your Touch and receiving a new one: just contact Kobo Customer Care.

But I personally might go with Taming's suggestion, as that would mean not having to be without a device for the period of time it takes your defective one to reach the Netherlands Kobo and the new/refurbished device to reach you after they sent it...

Or, you could take another holiday to France and return your Touch there, then pre-order a Glo
Old 09-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #8
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mrs_Often,

That was an easy shot for me. Because you've set up the solution correctly and I had more information than you, due to solaris1' reply.

Perhaps Taming has information we do not have (she talks about piracy)?

PS Is your nickname related to Dark City?
Old 09-21-2012, 03:23 AM   #9
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Mrs_Often,

That was an easy shot for me. Because you've set up the solution correctly and I had more information than you, due to solaris1' reply.
Aw so kind

Quote:
PS Is your nickname related to Dark City?
Acutally, no... I've never even seen that film! I think I might have to see it now! My nickname is for what it sounds like when you speak it aloud...

solaris1 did you get it working / manage to conclude an actual brokenness that needs replacing?
Old 09-22-2012, 12:17 AM   #10
Arios
A curiosus lector!

Mrs_Often,

Thanks for your reply.

This film is realy weird, with characters named, for example, Mr Book, Mr Sleep or Mr Wall hence my question.

If you have a chance to see it, you could love... or hate this movie. In my opinion, this is the kind of movie you "have to" see.

Sorry solaris1 for squatting your post! Hope your KT is back to normal now.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:01 AM   #11
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Off topic

Quote:
Mrs_Often,

Thanks for your reply.

This film is realy weird, with characters named, for example, Mr Book, Mr Sleep or Mr Wall hence my question.

If you have a chance to see it, you could love... or hate this movie. In my opinion, this is the kind of movie you "have to" see.
Sounds interesting!! Thanks for the tip, I'm looking it up right now!

Quote:
Sorry solaris1 for squatting your post! Hope your KT is back to normal now.
Yep, both that from me too.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #12
solaris1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Aw so kind

Acutally, no... I've never even seen that film! I think I might have to see it now! My nickname is for what it sounds like when you speak it aloud...

solaris1 did you get it working / manage to conclude an actual brokenness that needs replacing?
For Mrs Often and Arios
for your help I think the problem of charging my Kobo is risolved, because since then I didn't charge it yet anymore.
And no I'm not from Netherlands but from italy
Old 09-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #13
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris1 View Post
For Mrs Often and Arios
for your help I think the problem of charging my Kobo is risolved, because since then I didn't charge it yet anymore.
And no I'm not from Netherlands but from italy
Yay I'm glad to hear that Solaris1!
Old 09-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #14
Arios
A curiosus lector!

Solaris1

Sono lieto di sentire!

What did you do to solve the problem? And, what was the problem?