Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 on sale at Costco for $220

Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 -- $220 -- instore only -- Exp: 13 Oct 12

Costco currently has the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 on sale for $220 ($239.99 - $20.00 instant rebate). The sale applies to instore purchases only. Online pricing is higher ($249.99) and no discounts are allowed.

I saw it today while shopping. The offer expires in Sep, but I forgot to see what day. Next time I go, I'll check and post it.

Also available is the SGT2 7.0 Student Edition for $240. It includes a keyboard and a USB thingie. It's not on sale.

Currently, these are the Galaxy Tabs available at Costco warehouses:
  • SGT2 7.0 -- $220 ($239.99 - $20)
  • SGT2 7.0 SE -- $240 ($239.99)
  • SGT2 10.1 -- $340 ($379.99 - $40)
Edit: offer extended to 13 Oct 12

Last edited by tubemonkey; 09-09-2012 at 03:02 AM. Reason: adjust exp date
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
The rebate expires on 9/9.

Just bought the 10.1 for my grandson - Christmas gift. No, he didn't need it wrapped. No, he didn't need to wait till Christmas, now is okay. One happy kid busy charging his new toy.
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName View Post
The rebate expires on 9/9.

Just bought the 10.1 for my grandson - Christmas gift. No, he didn't need it wrapped. No, he didn't need to wait till Christmas, now is okay. One happy kid busy charging his new toy.
Thanks much for the date

I'll bet he's happy. Did you notice that Costco already had Christmas decorations on sale? Therefore, it's already Christmas as far as your gift is concerned.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Today they opened the doors about 10 minutes before 10, I went straight to the Tab display and grabbed a box, grabbed a card for a micro sd card (also had a rebate) was the first person to check out the doors at 0959. So no, I didn't notice any Christmas items. Didn't make it that far into the store. I was there yesterday also and didn't pay any attention then either. Guess I'm a focused shopper - sometimes. Need to be focused more often I think.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Today I got the Student Edition (though I paid $250), the keyboard and USB dongle are nice add ons. It is very responsive and updated itself to 4.0.4 after a short while on my network. Even when inserted into the keyboard I can write both Swedish and Japanese (off course English as well).
I shall fool around with it tonight.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Today I got the Student Edition (though I paid $250), the keyboard and USB dongle are nice add ons. It is very responsive and updated itself to 4.0.4 after a short while on my network. Even when inserted into the keyboard I can write both Swedish and Japanese (off course English as well).
Congratulations!

Oh, and to answer your previous question (which you'll probably find out for yourself) is that yes, the GTab will recognize a USB hub provided that it is self-powered. (ie. has a separate power supply)
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

However, I could only get the computer to recognize it if I connected it with the special USB cable provided (40 pin to USB male). I connected the dongle and used a USB male-to-male cable but got nothing. Nothing on the GT and nothing on the computer. I don't really want to carry the special cable around with me (lose that and you're toast until you can get another) and the dongle isn't that useful if I can't connect it with a PC.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
However, I could only get the computer to recognize it if I connected it with the special USB cable provided (40 pin to USB male). I connected the dongle and used a USB male-to-male cable but got nothing. Nothing on the GT and nothing on the computer. I don't really want to carry the special cable around with me (lose that and you're toast until you can get another) and the dongle isn't that useful if I can't connect it with a PC.
Consider yourself lucky. I couldn't get my GTab to be recognized on my Macbook Pro at all. (I'll have to tinker some more)

As for special cables, look on places like Amazon. I bought a cable bundle (automobile, USB, AC outlet) for $15 USD. Cables are easy to find everywhere. There are even multipurpose USB dongles that have USB port, charging port, and SD card slot all in one. (though it can only charge or access devices, not both simultaneously)
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
NoName
Zealot

I got these short OTG cables a while ago and just odered another pair. The price is great and they work well. I don't have a BT keyboard, but I tried my wireless mouse - plug in the dongle and you have mouse! But I haven't really seen a need for a mouse with a 7" SGT2.

I use it mostly for attaching flash drives. It DOES NOT work with portable hard drives.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300701358749#ht_891wt_1037

Edit: The short male OTG cord works to connect to the computer. I use a retractable USB extension cord that's always attached to my computer and I just attach the cord and Tab to that. Only thing is it doesn't show up in the "Safely remove hardware" on the computer.

Short cord also charges it.

Last edited by NoName; 08-28-2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Connects to computer
Old 08-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Consider yourself lucky. I couldn't get my GTab to be recognized on my Macbook Pro at all. (I'll have to tinker some more)

As for special cables, look on places like Amazon. I bought a cable bundle (automobile, USB, AC outlet) for $15 USD. Cables are easy to find everywhere. There are even multipurpose USB dongles that have USB port, charging port, and SD card slot all in one. (though it can only charge or access devices, not both simultaneously)
For some reason Apple and Samsung don't seem to be on speaking terms.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Make sure there's a chaperon present
Old 08-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #12
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Wanna join?
Old 08-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Wanna join?
Old 08-29-2012, 04:23 AM   #14
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

I did fool around with it.
Connected it to a 4-port powered USB 2.0 hub. Memory sticks worked fine, even a 64GB stick, but my 1TB HDD wasn't recognized. A USB mouse also connected fine, and all three at the same time. In essence it means almost limitless expansion possibilities.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #15
ilovegadgets
Connoisseur
ilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindles, iPad,Note 8, Note 3, iPhone 5,Sony 350& T1, Entourage PE & EE
Woot's deal of the day is a refurbished Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0. for $179.
www.woot.com
ilovegadgets is offline   Reply With Quote