Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-25-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
altruizine
Senior Altruist
altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML, Onyx Boox Note Pro
Question Rooted w/rupor's package; now searchbox widget crashes

After having run Porkupan's root package for a while, I recently switched to Rupor's root package. In general, I'm happy with the package, but there are two oddities I observed:

1. The Google searchbox widget on the launcher's home screen crashes when touched. Here a logcat dump:
Spoiler:
Code:
E/AndroidRuntime( 2584): FATAL EXCEPTION: main
E/AndroidRuntime( 2584): java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to start activity ComponentInfo{com.android.quicksearchbox/com.android.quicksearchbox.SearchActivity}: java.lang.NullPointerException
E/AndroidRuntime( 2584):        at android.app.ActivityThread.performLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:2663)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2584):        at android.app.ActivityThread.handleLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:2679)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2584):        at android.app.ActivityThread.access$2300(ActivityThread.java:125)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2584):        at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:2033)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2584):        at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2584):        at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:123)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2584):        at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:4627)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2584):        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2584):        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:521)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2584):        at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:868)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2584):        at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:626)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2584):        at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2584): Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
E/AndroidRuntime( 2584):        at android.widget.ListView.setItemChecked(ListView.java:3410)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2584):        at com.android.quicksearchbox.ui.SuggestionsView.onFinishInflate(SuggestionsView.java:40)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2584):        at android.view.LayoutInflater.rInflate(LayoutInflater.java:626)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2584):        at android.view.LayoutInflater.rInflate(LayoutInflater.java:621)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2584):        at android.view.LayoutInflater.inflate(LayoutInflater.java:407)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2584):        at android.view.LayoutInflater.inflate(LayoutInflater.java:320)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2584):        at android.view.LayoutInflater.inflate(LayoutInflater.java:276)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2584):        at com.android.internal.policy.impl.PhoneWindow.setContentView(PhoneWindow.java:198)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2584):        at android.app.Activity.setContentView(Activity.java:1647)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2584):        at com.android.quicksearchbox.SearchActivity.setContentView(SearchActivity.java:182)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2584):        at com.android.quicksearchbox.SearchActivity.onCreate(SearchActivity.java:130)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2584):        at android.app.Instrumentation.callActivityOnCreate(Instrumentation.java:1047)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2584):        at android.app.ActivityThread.performLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:2627)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2584):        ... 11 more
W/ActivityManager( 2134):   Force finishing activity com.android.quicksearchbox/.SearchActivity

2. In some apps, contrast in some listviews is decreased (or rather nonexistent, as in black-on-black) rather than increased. One noteworthy offender is Titanium Backup.

I guess that both problems are related to the listview tweaks included in Rupor's package.

What could I do to diagnose or fix the problems?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by altruizine; 06-26-2012 at 02:42 AM.
altruizine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:44 AM   #2
altruizine
Senior Altruist
altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PS: In there a better place to report or discuss this problem? Rupor's Sourceforge bug tracker seems rather empty... And no, I am not fluent in Russian.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:06 AM   #3
altruizine
Senior Altruist

To test my theory that the framework modifications are the culprit, I just tried swapping out the root package's framework.odex with the original one.

Result: This made the Google search box work, but broke lots of other stuff (some apps would not start anymore). Also, it did not seem have an effect on the black-on-black list view. I could not test with Titanium Backup, though, as that app would not start anymore either.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
altruizine
This place is OK, you do not have to be fluent in Russian

I will take a look at Google searchbox (not yet sure what it is) as soon as I am back from vacation, which probably should happen in the first week of July To tell you the truth I verified all buttons from the home page - and they all where working properly. Currently the only computer I have access to is iMac in my hotel room...

For #2 - some applications indeed have a problem with properly using Android color theme, usually there is very little I could do about it. For a very long time Android did not have a proper UI guidelines - so there are many apps which set colors in the code or are using colors from default white on black theme. If this is a legitimate app - contacting authors and explaining what is going on may help.
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:37 AM   #5
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
@altruizine: I have modded rupors root package to not change colors, works without problems so far, I think it was framework-res.jar which I replaced with stock version from 1.04 firmware...
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

@altruizine

The only Google Search box I was able to locate is the one with becomes visible when word in Reader is selected (dictionary, wikipedia, google...).

It works on my reader without a problem - opens WebBrowser on Google page with selected word as a parameter, connects (WiFi) if necessary and shows search results...

Are you sure that you are running AMR unmodified and you did not install for example Morkl's reader on it?
Old 06-29-2012, 02:11 AM   #7
breitfred
breitfred began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PB623
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by uboot View Post
@altruizine: I have modded rupors root package to not change colors, works without problems so far, I think it was framework-res.jar which I replaced with stock version from 1.04 firmware...
Thank you uboot.

It works fine. That was the solution I was waiting for...
As long as other apps uses not appropriate color themes it is the better way than to ask all other to change their apps.
breitfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:06 AM   #8
altruizine
Senior Altruist

Quote:
Originally Posted by uboot View Post
Thanks uboot! This has resolved the contrast issue for me.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:22 AM   #9
altruizine
Senior Altruist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupor View Post
The only Google Search box I was able to locate is the one with becomes visible when word in Reader is selected (dictionary, wikipedia, google...). […]
No, that's not the search widget I meant. I rather meant the home-screen widget as shown at the beginning of this the-ebook-reader.com article: Rooting Directions for Sony Reader PRS-T1 (Video)

You can create this widget with these steps:
  1. Install and run ADWLauncher EX
  2. On the ADW home screen, long-tap until the “Add to Home screen” menu appears
  3. Select “Widgets”
  4. Select “Search”
  5. Accept 4 columns/1 row

Thanks for taking an interest, rupor!

PS: I don't think it's relevant but as you asked: No, I did not install Morkl's reader.

Last edited by altruizine; 06-29-2012 at 04:28 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #10
rupor
meat popsicle

@altruizine

Sorry - I cannot help you with this, this is not part of firmware and I do not have and not going to install ADWLauncher...
Old 06-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #11
altruizine
Senior Altruist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupor View Post
Sorry - I cannot help you with this, this is not part of firmware and I do not have and not going to install ADWLauncher...
I understand. Thanks anyway for your great contributions, rupor!

Tags
root