Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #16
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I liked them better in chronological order.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #17
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Sounds cool Have to note down that series and author.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #18
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I can't believe we are even having this discussion! This isn't about liking or disliking a given work. It's about discussing the work in an adult manner. Any attempt to STEER the thread in any given direction is essentially a fraud. It is the moral equivalent of a commercial effort to gin up sales.

I hope you all enjoy the size, shape, and depth of your navels.
It really strikes me as a reasonable request. This is the internet and there are a whole lot of seagulls out there. Now, given that this is the internet, it might not be rational to expect the request to be honored, but I think it's a reasonable request. The original poster is obviously a fan of the works and wants to discuss the books with other fans.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #19
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I read the books back when they first came out and enjoyed them. I bought the series in ebooks a couple of months ago, but they haven't percolated up to the top of my to be read stack yet.

I originally read the books in the publishing order, so I look forward to reading them in order of events this time around.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:02 AM   #20
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
this argument remind me going down old small lift in deep shaft to see problem of shoring mine
workers jostle and shake lift
why?
plenty work and danger at bottome
don't add

my talented wife sings very good
just fact other profession guaranteed income for life and little travel
so never sing professional

she likes Modesitt Spellsong series
real magic by singing

she sings her magic at church
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #21
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
my talented wife -

she likes Modesitt Spellsong series
real magic by singing

she sings her magic at church
myself: only whistle
not much magic
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #22
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you like the Recluce Series you should try the Spellsong Series too.
Apache
Old 04-12-2013, 05:30 AM   #23
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Quote:
once my daughter decided to start reading the books i had no choice but to proof read what she was becoming interested in...and i was hooked.
Do you routinely censor your daughter's reading?
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #24
morningstar79
morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Wow! I am so pleasantly surprised with all this great feedback! To begin, thank you all for your support in understanding the inception of this particular thread.
Secondly, Modesitt has announced that he is currently working on another Recluce novel!

Apache and tedpeer: I plan on reading the series in chronological order once I have completed the series in order of publication. Modesitt has stated that he published the books in the order he intended his audience to read them for a reason, and I believe I see the method to his madness. That being said, and without ruining anything, reading in chronological order is definitely called for once I'm through.
morningstar79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #25
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Do you routinely censor your daughter's reading?
Maybe I'd say "check" instead of "censor". The "censor" part would come into play only if things may start to go into the wrong direction.

If I had kids, I'd be reading what they read, and visiting the websites they visit, and check out the places they go to, and so on. Only if they'd be reading books or visiting sites or places I really don't want them to at their current age, I'd step in and put a stop to it. And of course, I'd also want to know their friends.

I think it's good for a parent to do things like that; you shouldn't let kids do wathever they want and just trusting everything will turn out all right.

(Not directed at the above poster, but in general: Please, don't give me that "kids deserve privacy too", or "you are spying" bullocks. When I was a kid, it was called "proper upbringing and watching over your kids". Privacy starts coming into play bit by bit at around age 12 or so, IMHO, except for the really trivial things. I don't mind a 7 year old wanting "privacy" with regard to collecting soccer stickers and him not wanting me to know how many or which he still needs in his book to complete it, or something. However, in today's online world where everybody can get into contact with everybody else, I *definitely* want to know what the mentioned 7 year old is doing on the internet. All of it.)

Last edited by Katsunami; 04-12-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #26
morningstar79
morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Forsooth: I look forward to reading the Corean Chronicles once I am finished with the Saga of Recluce. A friend of mine just finished the Corean Chronicles and loved them as well.
Another similarity, my mother happens to be a classically trained and accomplished vocalist. I have the first book of the Spellsong Cycle, but my attempts at persuading her to read it have been unsuccessful so far.

piperclassique: i do make a habit of censoring my children's reading material to a certain degree. the daughter i made mention of is quite a bit older than she was at that time, and i am less inclined to do so for her now.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #27
morningstar79

katsunami: it is very cool! i do hope you look into it! I recently noticed a post describing the first book as a bit dry, and i would have to agree to some degree, but it is completely worth it!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #28
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Quote:
However, in today's online world where everybody can get into contact with everybody else, I *definitely* want to know what the mentioned 7 year old is doing on the internet. All of it.)
Fair enough. T'were not around when I was a sprog. No-one ever asked what I was reading, but they did sometimes whinge about me stealing their library cards.

Quote:
piperclassique: i do make a habit of censoring my children's reading material to a certain degree. the daughter i made mention of is quite a bit older than she was at that time, and i am less inclined to do so foÇr her now.
Thanks for a straightforward reply. I realise I may have seemed rather abrupt, my apologies for that.
Just out of interest, how do your children find their reading matter? I'm thinking that if they are going to a public library or a physical bookshop they probably won't find anything very objectionable. Different if they are finding it online.
Still, it looks as if you got a good read that way!

How would you describe the genre? I'm keen on SF, not so much on pure fantasy. Not that I actually need more books in the TBR stack...
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #29
Apache
Readaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstar79 View Post
Secondly, Modesitt has announced that he is currently working on another Recluce novel!
Great News.
Apache
Old 04-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #30
morningstar79

I wasn't offended at all, no worries. To elaborate on my answer just a bit, I try not to impose my preferences on their selection so much as ensure there isn't anything inappropriate for their current stage of development. Only once have I come across something that appeared to be safe but definitely was not.

I don't rely on public libraries as my children have taken after myself in their desire to build their own libraries. Depending on what they are looking for at the time I will take them to Chapters to buy new books, or there are 2 really good used book stores we love to support, locally owned and operated (one is really quite quaint in that it is an old converted war time home and books are categorized by the room they should be in, ie--cookbooks in the kitchen, mystery and political drama in the basement, sci-fi and fantasy in the attic, so on and so forth). We only ever shop online if they are reading a series and need the next book or so before I can make a trip into the city.

Saga of Recluce is pure fantasy. Not my style at all which is why I was so reluctant to read the books at all, but I happen to have fallen in love with the whole world! However, if you ever happen to find your TBR stack a little low, the author (L.E. Modesitt Jr.) is known to be a fairly proficient sci-fi novelist. I have no experience with his writings in that genre as Recluce are the first works of his that I have come across, however I have heard nothing but very good things. Might be worth checking out his website. Let me know if you do!