Notices

Old 02-06-2010, 01:36 AM   #1
Guido Henkel
Enthusiast
Guido Henkel began at the beginning.

Device: mobi, epub, lit
Individual settings per eBook format

Hello,

I have just noticed that my LIT version of my eBook doesn't work properly because Windows is too dumb too properly display full UTF-8 characters. What a surprise....

Be that as it may, is there a chance that you could add a character replacement for each eBook format, so that I could for example tell Calibre to replace &x2606; with "*" when building the LIT format, while leaving it untouched when building other formats?

Thanks for taking this into consideration,
Guido
Guido Henkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
there is an option to transliterate to ascii in the conversion settings.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
Guido Henkel
Enthusiast

But what happens with characters that are not part of the ASCII set?

&x2606; is not anywhere in the ASCII set and I can see many other occasions also where I'd need symbols that are not part of any ASCII set, particularly not Windows' 30-year old interpretation of it.

I'll try the transliteration to see what exactly happens, though, and report back.

Thanks for the info, Kovid.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
Guido Henkel
Enthusiast

ASCII transliteration doesn't seem to work right. It removes the special character altogether. I am not sure about other people but on my end Calibre seems to behave rather erratically and I never get the sense that I can trust what it's doing. One day it build fine ePub files, the next day it will build files that seem to be corrupt - at least according to Adobe Digital Editions, and so forth. It's really weird.