Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-28-2008, 08:27 AM   #1
HL7222
HL7222 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
PRS-505 Available in Duty Free at Heathrow?

Hi,

I am hoping to obtain a 505 when I fly out of London Heathrow on the 26th Dec.

Can anybody confirm if any of the stores there stock it? (and better still how much it costs)

I have seen one reference on the forum from a guy who bought one at Heathrow way back for GB 160.00... but not which store he got it from - I would call them and check if that price is still valid

Cheers
Paul
HL7222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I'm told that the Sony store in T5 stocks them, but to be safe, give them a ring a few days before to check & and ask them to put one aside for you.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
HL7222

Sounds good to me.... T5 it is that I will be flying out of.

I shall attempt to find the number for them
Old 11-28-2008, 02:56 PM   #4
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
I confirm that a family person saw them on Sony shop on terminal 5, still 199 pounds for us poor European people.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:25 PM   #5
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL7222 View Post
Sounds good to me.... T5 it is that I will be flying out of.

I shall attempt to find the number for them
Here you are:
020 8283 6196
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2008, 04:17 PM   #6
HL7222

Thanks... called them, they have them in stock and they are GB 169.00ish (whatever 199.00 minus 17.5percent is....)
Old 11-28-2008, 05:03 PM   #7
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

169,36 pounds.

To calculate you devide 199 by 1,175.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:51 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Note that the VAT rate in the UK falls from 17.5% to 15% on Monday (the UK's "stimulate the economy" thing), so in theory at least, retail prices should slightly fall from then (but not "duty free" prices, of course).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:33 PM   #9
DDHarriman
Guru

So after monday the 505 should cost (with VAT) 194,77 pounds instead of the actual 199.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:11 PM   #10
benmc
benmc began at the beginning.

Device: none
Dixons Duty Free in T5 have them in stock.

I purchased one this week when I passed through for £169

Hope this helps

Ben
benmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:46 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
So after monday the 505 should cost (with VAT) 194,77 pounds instead of the actual 199.
If Sony decide to pass on the VAT rate cut to the consumer, yes. They are not required to do so, however, so we'll have to wait and see.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:52 PM   #12
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
But the 26th December is a Bank Holiday, so check that the shops will be open.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:07 PM   #13
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
But the 26th December is a Bank Holiday, so check that the shops will be open.
Think most of the Duty free shops after security stay open every day including Bank holidays.

I've never seen them actually closed during the Airport's hours of operation.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:46 AM   #14
mcramer
Kiwi reader
mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone
Just to add my 2c worth (all the way from New Zealand )

They definitely have them at the Sony shop in T5. From memory 169.

The also have - 2 different leather cases, the lightwedge, silicon case and power adapter.
mcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 02:45 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I was at T5 today. And yes, the 505 is £169.xx at Heathrow.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote