Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-06-2014, 05:27 AM   #1
brannanbenjamin
brannanbenjamin began at the beginning.

Device: PaperWhite 2
Stuck in Boot Loop -- Options?

I live in Japan and just ordered a PaperWhite 2. As soon as I got it, I did a little research and set to work jailbreaking it using this method. I was running version 5.4.2 and hadn't done anything else beyond dropping a few books onto it.

I followed the instructions and was given the option to update my Kindle, so I did so. My Kindle displayed ***JAILBREAK*** on the bottom as expected, and then froze. After waiting a while, I pushed the power button once and was informed the update failed. Then it rebooted... and rebooted... and is now stuck in a loop.

When plugged into my computer, a drive appears briefly but can't be accessed. Disk manager correctly identifies it as being from the Kindle but the drive name itself stays blank.

I'm wondering what my options are. I have a manufacturer's cable from when I screwed up rooting a Kindle Fire 7--beyond that, I'm not familiar with any of the tools used with the PaperWhite line. I also checked the debricking thread, but can't find much relating to the PW2 directly and I'd hate to exacerbate the situation by using incorrect tools.

I also can't currently turn my kindle OFF. I've tried everything. I'm not even sure how to get into recovery mode. Is there anything I can do beyond getting it replaced?

Last edited by brannanbenjamin; 01-06-2014 at 07:20 AM. Reason: clarity
brannanbenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:48 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by brannanbenjamin View Post
I live in Japan and just ordered a PaperWhite 2. As soon as I got it, I did a little research and set to work jailbreaking it using this method. I was running version 5.4.2 and hadn't done anything else beyond dropping a few books onto it.

I followed the instructions and was given the option to update my Kindle, so I did so. My Kindle displayed ***JAILBREAK*** on the bottom as expected, and then froze. After waiting a while, I pushed the power button once and was informed the update failed. Then it rebooted... and rebooted... and is now stuck in a loop.

When plugged into my computer, a drive appears briefly but can't be accessed. Disk manager correctly identifies it as being from the Kindle but the drive name itself stays blank.

I'm wondering what my options are. I have a manufacturer's cable from when I screwed up rooting a Kindle Fire 7--beyond that, I'm not familiar with any of the tools used with the PaperWhite line. I also checked the debricking thread, but can't find much relating to the PW2 directly and I'd hate to exacerbate the situation by using incorrect tools.

I also can't currently turn my kindle OFF. I've tried everything. I'm not even sure how to get into recovery mode. Is there anything I can do beyond getting it replaced?
Have it exchanged.

There are no tools for de-bricking a PW2.

There is no way to get into a "recovery mode" without a serial port cable.

The PW2 does not recognize the "manufacturer's cable".
Different operating system that the Kindle Color.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2014, 02:43 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Did you try plugging it to a computer when it was 'frozen'? (because besides printing the jailbreak message, there's no other feedback, so when you say frozen I'm assuming it really, really was stuck, which, in and of itself, is quite peculiar).

Exactly how far into the boot process does it go? (Because it shouldn't loop for long, after a while it should throw you the "Your Kindle Needs Repair" screen and shut down).

That's the first time something like that has been reported, so I'm curious .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:43 PM   #4
brannanbenjamin

I didn't plug it in while it was frozen, only afterward. While frozen, I waited a good bit of time before starting to tap the screen. Nothing. Pushed the power button once (no long press) and it threw me that error screen before going into a boot loop.

The general loop is flashing a black screen, then a white screen, before displaying the kindle logo with the boy sitting under a tree. The light cycles on and off a couple times, but there's no other indicators on screen. And then it goes back to black.

I left it looping all night (it's been about 12 hours) and it's still continuing. I can't even turn it off!

Thanks for the advice, I suppose I'll just have it exchanged. I wonder what I did wrong?
Old 01-06-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I didn't plug it in while it was frozen, only afterward. While frozen, I waited a good bit of time before starting to tap the screen. Nothing. Pushed the power button once (no long press) and it threw me that error screen before going into a boot loop.

The general loop is flashing a black screen, then a white screen, before displaying the kindle logo with the boy sitting under a tree. The light cycles on and off a couple times, but there's no other indicators on screen. And then it goes back to black.

I left it looping all night (it's been about 12 hours) and it's still continuing. I can't even turn it off!

Thanks for the advice, I suppose I'll just have it exchanged. I wonder what I did wrong?
Power switch is broken, send it home.
Advert
Old 01-07-2014, 12:19 AM   #6
brannanbenjamin

Thanks. If anyone in the future has this problem, then let it be said no solution was found and it was exchanged. I think I'll leave the next one as is... for now!
Old 01-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Thanks. If anyone in the future has this problem, then let it be said no solution was found and it was exchanged. I think I'll leave the next one as is... for now!
But a solution was found:
Repair or replace the broken power switch that is stuck "on"
OR
Replace the entire Kindle (which is the simplest way to replace the switch - replace the "switch carrier" ).