Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-20-2012, 02:28 AM   #61
Jyster
Enthusiast
Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I remember when the first B&N opened up in San Jose, I helped open up the store in the warehouse area. As an employee it was drilled into us that customer service was paramount, and we walked the customer to the book. We also wore slacks, nice shirt and a tie. They also had a Starbucks in the middle of the store with chairs, and through out the store there were comfortable chairs where you could read and relax.

I remember there were 3 popular stores B&N, Borders, and Crown Books that were popular. B&N owned B.Daltons, and Borders owned Waldenbooks. Crown Books closed first.
Jyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #62
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Whatever the future of b&m bookstores, I think they have already lost a significant component of what they offered: There is no longer any reason for the customer to use them to order a book.

If they don't have a book in stock, the customer might just as well order it from Amazon himself.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #63
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I'd be proud to order a book from B&N if they weren't less subtly manipulative even than Amazon and (here's the heartbreak) consistently undercut by Amazon's pricing.

Now if only they could design a tablet that was as visually and conceptually perfect for its function as the Nook ST.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #64
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
I'd be proud to order a book from B&N if they weren't less subtly manipulative even than Amazon
less [subtly manipulative] or [less subtly] manipulative?
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #65
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
less [subtly manipulative] or [less subtly] manipulative?
Subtly manipulative is a compound adjective consisting of an adverb and a verb. Less modifies the compound adjective. Less subtle in its manipulativeness avoids modifying a compound adj. but seems a tad awkward to me.

Then again, I have a relative who writes law manuals, so I might be immune to disconcerting stacks of words.

The odd thing about your two interpretations is that the brackets seem to imply parentheses or commas, which would invite completely different interpretations.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #66
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by janjanjan View Post
I wonder how many children and young adults who are avid readers today got their start just that way, and how many of today's children won't have that experience.
I grew up in a rural area. There was a very small indie seller "in town" (30 minutes away, and open limited weekday hours), a library, and a Waldenbooks at the mall (60 minutes away). If I didn't get something at the library, I didn't get it. Unless we were making the trek to the mall, which was always such a treat. Know how some kids will beg for candy at the grocery store? My brother and I clamored for "just one more book, PLEASE!" every time we went to the bookstore at the mall.

I take my 2 year old daughter to the local B&N pretty regularly because they have a play area with a train set. She gets to play with the trains AND help pick out a book. Great place to go spend an afternoon. If B&N fails, we'll just move that practice to the local library, which also has a play area, though it's less desirable to the 2 year old.

/end personal stories
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote