Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-14-2007, 09:42 AM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
PDA Functions for your iLiad. Calendar, Contacts, Todo List

I've ported GPE Calendar, Contacts, and Todo for the iLiad. Since they share so many libraries, I've included them in a single package. GPE does not have any sync abilities that I'm aware of, so you won't be able to keep it updated with your PC. But, it's a step in the right direction.

It's a standard installer, unzip it to your memory card (not internal memory, as that will have unexpected effects), and run on the iLiad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gpecontacts.png
Views:	2489
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	4839   Click image for larger version

Name:	calendar.png
Views:	2255
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	4840   Click image for larger version

Name:	gpetodo.png
Views:	1872
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	4841  
Attached Files
File Type: zip gpe.zip (6.23 MB, 3089 views)
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:44 AM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

The exit button for the contacts application is hidden a bit. It's on the far right of the toolbar on top. You will need to select the small down arrow, and "Quit" will appear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	exit.png
Views:	1432
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	4842  
Advert
Old 08-14-2007, 09:47 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks, Adam!

A question re these installers of yours, such as the "FBReader" installer and this one; can they be used to install the application in main memory rather than onto a memory card? Or if that were done, would the apps be lost when the o/s was upgraded?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:47 AM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Another really nice port. Thanks Adam.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:50 AM   #5
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
I am drinking the Kool-aid. I've got to have an iliad. I have been following this device since the begining, but I thought it was too expensive. I am now convinced of its attributes.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2007, 10:59 AM   #6
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
To me this makes little sense, as I want a PIM in my pocket, and that's why I started with handhelds in the first place. It makes more sense to me to port a reader to a pocket-sized device than to port a PIM to something the size of the Iliad.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thanks, Adam!

A question re these installers of yours, such as the "FBReader" installer and this one; can they be used to install the application in main memory rather than onto a memory card? Or if that were done, would the apps be lost when the o/s was upgraded?
It's possible to install it on the main memory, but with the way the install script is configured, the application launcher will not be accessable from the iLiad. Right now, it's best to install from a memory card for the interest of space and ease.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:17 AM   #8
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp View Post
To me this makes little sense, as I want a PIM in my pocket, and that's why I started with handhelds in the first place. It makes more sense to me to port a reader to a pocket-sized device than to port a PIM to something the size of the Iliad.
It makes sense for those who carry around the iLiad often. I use my iLiad to store business documents. I'll carry it with me to meetings, vendors, etc. If I need to look up a phone number in a pinch, I've already got it with me, and can easily access it.

It's better to have too much information than too little on a mobile device...
Old 08-14-2007, 12:06 PM   #9
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp View Post
Radley, you are only partly right, partly wrong IMO. The key, as Adam points out, will be sinchronization. Most PIM users do syncro with their PCs. The iliad is both master and slave for USB connection and has ethernet and wifi. So it is a new piece, it can syncro instead of the PC but it can also attach to other sources. You get a kind of mesh network, different ways to access to your agenda.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:07 PM   #10
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Let me add, I am surprised with the whole package of portings. It is giving iLiad a head oved other similar devices.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:36 PM   #11
Bunter
Bunter began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Well, it is developers forum and developers want to do what? Develop I think every port is welcome as so it requires so little effort compared to writing applications from scratch.

Imho iLiad as a PIM doesn't work as well - size is not the matter, the speed is. But if somebody finds it to be ok to go, for example from document view to contacts view and find some contact in about one minute, why not.
Bunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:48 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
It's possible to install it on the main memory, but with the way the install script is configured, the application launcher will not be accessable from the iLiad. Right now, it's best to install from a memory card for the interest of space and ease.
Thank you for the advice. There's no problem with installing multiple applications on the same CF card, is there?
Old 08-14-2007, 01:12 PM   #13
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Thank you for the advice. There's no problem with installing multiple applications on the same CF card, is there?
There's no problem at all doing that. All the apps I port use the same library versions and the same directories when installed.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:15 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
There's no problem at all doing that. All the apps I port use the same library versions and the same directories when installed.
Thanks.

BTW, you'll probably laugh at this, but it took me absolutely ages to discover, in "FBReader", that the place I had to navigate to to find my books was the "/mnt" part of the file system. I'm sure it's blindingly obvious to you, but it might perhaps save some other Linux ignoramus a similar ordeal if it were to be mentioned on the FBReader Wiki page .
Old 08-14-2007, 01:18 PM   #15
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Thanks.

BTW, you'll probably laugh at this, but it took me absolutely ages to discover, in "FBReader", that the place I had to navigate to to find my books was the "/mnt" part of the file system. I'm sure it's blindingly obvious to you, but it might perhaps save some other Linux ignoramus a similar ordeal if it were to be mentioned on the FBReader Wiki page .
I guess there are some bits of knowledge I take for granted...

With the next version of FBReader ported to the iLiad, you'll be able to select books directly from the contentlister. You won't need to "search" for them anymore.