Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #16
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
are you saying that catalog downloads are now broken? Did it work for you before the IOS update? Access to my personal Dropbox catalog is important to me.
If you have defined your own catalogs on the second tab, they work. The predefined ones on the first tab don't work.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #17
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
If you have defined your own catalogs on the second tab, they work. The predefined ones on the first tab don't work.
The predefined ones on the first tab are just aggregated on the Lexcycle website (http://catalog.lexcycle.com/). Since that website is now out of commission, so are the predefined catalogs. That link hasn't worked for several months now.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #18
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

More info...

I just added Project Gutenberg as a source, and it worked just fine...

Clicked on "Get Books"...
Selected "Shared" tab...
Clicked "Edit"
Clicked "Add Book Source"
Put "PG" as the name
Put m.gutenberg.org as the URL
Hit save...

The icon immediately showed up... then I clicked on the source and all of the categories were there... authors, titles, subjects, bookshelves, popular, latest, language... they all work... so I downloaded a book with images and a few seconds later hit "Read Now" and it worked...

Edit: Serendipity! Interestingly, in my random clicking and download, I accidentally downloaded the FIRST book in a series that I just started, not realizing that I'd started at book #2... :-) Thanks! Good thing I'm not too far into book #2 and can now go back to book #1 first!

Last edited by twowheels; 03-08-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #19
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Thanks. From all I've read in this thread, everything works as well after the update as it did before. All the glitches people have mentioned existed in IOS 5.01 as well.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #20
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
are you saying that catalog downloads are now broken? Did it work for you before the IOS update? Access to my personal Dropbox catalog is important to me.
You should still be able to use Dropbox (for me its mostly Sugarsync or Box.net, because I dont want all my books synced to my Dropbox on the computer or iDevice) but what I usually do is access via Safari or in the case of dropbiox, the dropbox app and then choose open in. I like that because sometimes i prefer to pass a file to something other than Stanza. A PDF, for example, i will pass to Goodreader instead.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #21
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Just if anyone else has had the same or similar issues that I did in getting the firmware updated: I signed up with OpenDNS and used their servers. It has sorted me right out, download came as it ought ti have when I was using my ISP's servers
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #22
Razi
Zealot
Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba E740, Cassiopeia, iLiad, iPad, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
I am still stuck with iOS 4 something because of the Stanza issues. I can't risk upgrading. I wrote to Amazon and requested for help on this issue and they assured me that they were doing something about it but whatever they did was not good enough. For this reason alone I will not upgrade nor will buy a new iPad and most importantly, I will never buy a Kindle because Amazon played this dirty game on us.
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #23
sehlat
Enthusiast
sehlat began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone Marvin, Marvin 3
I can confirm Stanza working in iOS 5.1. I just upgraded via wireless and after the reboot, the book I was reading opened exactly where I left it before the upgrade. My catalog, tags and groupings haven't changed and remain exactly as I left them. I haven't tested download from Calibre yet, but I'm confident it will work.
sehlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #24
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razi View Post
I am still stuck with iOS 4 something because of the Stanza issues. I can't risk upgrading. I wrote to Amazon and requested for help on this issue and they assured me that they were doing something about it but whatever they did was not good enough. For this reason alone I will not upgrade nor will buy a new iPad and most importantly, I will never buy a Kindle because Amazon played this dirty game on us.
The only issue seems to be the catalog tab (which from what I hear won't work on your version of iOS either) and the crash when choosing dictionary through a somewhat circuitous route (but works in the normal way of looking up a word).

I'm not sure I understand your hesitation.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #25
kiwikobo
Enthusiast
kiwikobo doesn't litterkiwikobo doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
Since no-one has actually confirmed on this thread yet, I thought I'd just confirm that Stanza does work fine on ipad3, lovely text and no new issues.
kiwikobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #26
armanos
armanos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Terrible news. I am now back into reading on my iPhone and its such a shame that Lexcycle has abandoned Stanza after their acquisition by Amazon.

Worth a try on my iPhone but this is grim news. I remember reading blissfully on my iPod Touch 2 years back, on Stanza. :|
armanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #27
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I'm still using Stanza with iOS 5.1 on both my iPod touches (3rd and 4th generation) . Works just fine. Download from Calibre also works.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote