Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What are your choices for the September Book Club book?
The Giver by Lois Lowry 12 30.00%
The Call of the Wild by Jack London 5 12.50%
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee 12 30.00%
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling 11 27.50%
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck 14 35.00%
Rabbit Run by John Updike 8 20.00%
The Country Girls by Edna O'Brien 5 12.50%
Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain 6 15.00%
Fanny Hill: Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure by John Cleland 4 10.00%
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess 10 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2014, 01:05 PM   #31
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Neither The Grapes of Wrath nor To Kill a Mockingbird sound at all interesting to me but I will probably try to read either one if they win. I normally actively try to avoid anything that was regularly taught in a high school English class. I am still not sure how I missed both of these (and The Great Gatsby) then and just count my blessings.

In order to avoid being the "literary club lite" I voted for a read that would be more fun than serious and thought-provoking.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #32
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I was looking for good links to Dust Bowl Dance by Mumford and Sons and Pink Floyd's Sorrow when I found this link:

8 Great Pop-Culture References to The Grapes of Wrath.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2014, 01:59 PM   #33
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
[....snip] In order to avoid being the "literary club lite" I voted for a read that would be more fun than serious and thought-provoking.
I don't believe that either To Kill a Mockingbird or The Grapes of Wrath were considered to be literary fiction when they were published. They both have a plot, are written in the vernacular, and both stories are riveting. The Grapes of Wrath contains rough language more common to see in print today than in 1939. To Kill a Mockingbird is hilarious at times. Really.

So many of the best books have been ruined for people by having them inflicted at a tender and rebellious age.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:33 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
So many of the best books have been ruined for people by having them inflicted at a tender and rebellious age.
I don't know if they are the best books. I've read some of these "best" books and they are not best, but in fact quite awful.

But I do have to agree that forcing them on kids when the kids aren't ready for them is wrong. Problem is, these books are written in a way that kids don't take to and the kids don't find them all that relevant. This and the way some teachers teach them makes them not enjoyable at all and no way are these kids going back to reread them as an adult. Plus, it can (very much so) turn kids off to reading. Shakespeare is a good one to help turn kids off to reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:00 PM   #35
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Shakespeare is a good one to help turn kids off to reading.
If someone had novelized all of his plays, I mean properly and thoroughly, with annotations and all, I would pay good money to get my hands on that book.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2014, 05:56 PM   #36
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Added The Grapes of Wrath to the Selections List thread. Looks like January will have an extra book in to choose from as well since there was a tie for the runner-up position.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:05 AM   #37
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck it is.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:12 AM   #38
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck it is.
It's tempting to make a joke and ask if we don't like the choice if we could order some cheese with the wine. Just making a pun. I need something to joke about tonight.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:31 AM   #39
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:49 AM   #40
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Yay! Look forward to it.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:13 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think we should read Steinbeck's little known sequel.

The Grapes of Wrath of Kahn
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:08 AM   #42
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:

Sounds like a juicy tale.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:50 PM   #43
Dazrin
Wizard

Quote:

I would probably be more excited for that version!
Old 09-01-2014, 03:26 AM   #44
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Sounds like a juicy tale.
That's what she said.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:23 AM   #45
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
If someone had novelized all of his plays, I mean properly and thoroughly, with annotations and all, I would pay good money to get my hands on that book.
Not all, but James Branch Cabell did Hamlet. See Hamlet Had An Uncle.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote