Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
hazel7797
hazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505, Sony PRS 350, Kobo Mini 2012
Sorry, forgot to ask . . .

. . . my Sony Reader, lets me put books on in series (i.e. if there are a series of books that have to be read in a particular order, you just drag them on to the 'series' icon in the library software and it puts them on the reader in order ready for you to read) . . . is there a similar facility in the Kobo Mini, so that I can read a 'series' in the correct order?

Hazel x
hazel7797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Well what many feel is the easiest way is to use Calibre to manage the books, and to utilize what is called a "metadata plugboard" to rename the books as they are sent to the Glo. For a longish post describing calibre, shelves and series see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193184
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
hazel7797
hazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Well what many feel is the easiest way is to use Calibre to manage the books, and to utilize what is called a "metadata plugboard" to rename the books as they are sent to the Glo. For a longish post describing calibre, shelves and series see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193184
Thanks Peter, took a peek . . . but I think all that is waaaaay beyond me! I think I'm just going to have to stick with the Sony for series . . . such a shame

Hazel x
Old 11-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
scoobertron
Connoisseur
scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo touch
I seem to recall that one of the sort options for shelves is by date added, which would make it possible for the shelf to be ordered by series order, provided you add the books in the correct sequence. However, I seem to recall trying this and it not working - so it may be that the 'added to shelf' time is not fine grained enough to distinguish between several books added in quick succession.
scoobertron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hazel; it's really not that hard...
Advert
Old 11-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I use this plugboard (preferences>plugboards
format:epub
Device:kobo touch
Source template:{author_sort}{series:| - | }{series_index:0>2s}
Destination field:authors
Then you sort books by author (which kobo will remember).

Takes about two minutes

You must also cusomize plugin for device KoboTouch but I am sure you have already done that.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazel7797 View Post
. . . my Sony Reader, lets me put books on in series (i.e. if there are a series of books that have to be read in a particular order, you just drag them on to the 'series' icon in the library software and it puts them on the reader in order ready for you to read) . . . is there a similar facility in the Kobo Mini, so that I can read a 'series' in the correct order?

Hazel x
Bottom line is no. But it is an excellant idea for an important feature in Kobo.

There are book shelves but its a long tedious process and it does not order the books to be read in sequential order.

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
hazel7797

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I use this plugboard (preferences>plugboards
format:epub
Device:kobo touch
Source template:{author_sort}{series:| - | }{series_index:0>2s}
Destination field:authors
Then you sort books by author (which kobo will remember).

Takes about two minutes

You must also cusomize plugin for device KoboTouch but I am sure you have already done that.

Helen
Thanks Helen, although I don't seem to have a plugin for the Kobo? I am on Calibre 0.9.3?

Hazel x
Old 11-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Under preference>plugins>device interface plugins

Helen
Old 11-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

And I would suggest upgrading to the version 0.9.6 when it is released; some important fixes to the kobo drivers are in it.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:51 AM   #11
hazel7797

Right, got Calibre 0.9.6 installed, my Preferences, only says,

Change Calibre behaviour
Run Set Up Wizard
Get Plug-Ins to enhance Calibre

I chose, the 'get plug-ins' option

Then, under the list of plug-ins there is nothing about the Kobo? On the drop-down menu at the top of the plug-ins box, it has, 'Installed', 'Not Installed' & 'All' . . . I chose, 'All'

I think that I will stick with my Sony for my collections/series and use my Kobo Mini for everything else . . . I just love the portability and convenience of the Kobo Mini

Hazel x
Old 11-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

@Hazel7797; you can also just CLICK on the preferences button... That will take you into the same screen as Change Calibre behaviour does.

Once in that screen you will see at the bottom Plugins and then in the Device Interface section you will find the Kobo driver.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #13
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazel7797 View Post
Right, got Calibre 0.9.6 installed, my Preferences, only says,

Change Calibre behaviour
Run Set Up Wizard
Get Plug-Ins to enhance Calibre

I chose, the 'get plug-ins' option

Then, under the list of plug-ins there is nothing about the Kobo? On the drop-down menu at the top of the plug-ins box, it has, 'Installed', 'Not Installed' & 'All' . . . I chose, 'All'

I think that I will stick with my Sony for my collections/series and use my Kobo Mini for everything else . . . I just love the portability and convenience of the Kobo Mini

Hazel x
You are clicking on the arrow beside preferences and not on the button
Helen
Old 11-23-2012, 06:51 AM   #14
hazel7797

Hi Peter & Helen

OK, I'm one step further, thanks to you, but here are the choices when I get to the plug-ins (see screen capture)

Sorry, you must be getting real fed up with my stupidity!

Hazel x
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	96676  
Old 11-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

So now double click the line "Device Interface Plugins" or single click the arrow besides it. This will expand that area and show all the Device Interface Plugins.

Scroll through it and find the line KoboTouch, highlight it and then select Customize plugin and make any required changes.