Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-30-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
Aspen
Aspen began at the beginning.

Device: Velocity Cruz
Owned Velocity Cruz for about 30 minutes--Guide to getting started??

I am SUCH an eReader newbie because I never intended to own one! Because I was gifted with a Cruz, I need to learn how to navigate the ebook world and it looks like this might be the perfect forum for that

I need a guide to getting STARTED with an eReader.....and I apologize if one is located elsewhere, but I didn't find it on a search. I need to know what types of programs I need to have so that my books are organized and whatever other tips you can give for a person just starting out. I think I have figured out how to download books, but I am not ready to do that yet until my *system* is all in place.......yeah I'm anal too......

So far my husband has the wifi configured for our home network, set up my Borders acct (the Cruz came with a bunch of free books I have to get from their site), and the Cruz is charging. I currently have ZERO books on my eReader and while I can certainly see vast thousands of free books offered, I am most concerned with initially getting books that I know from authors I like.

(I did look under technology on the wiki page, but I did not see my device there )

My Cruz will have roughly 2 purposes.....as a eReader and as a Planner. I'm trying to figure out the best way to make this happen so that I don't end up with a bunch of crap loaded that I will never use.

Based on recommendations I have read here, I have downloaded the calibre program and watched the tutorial. My understanding is that this program will be my *library* for my laptop, and anything dowloaded/converted here can then be sent to my eReader.

Is a program necessary to provide this organization chore on the eReader itself? I imagine it comes with something......I currently have no books loaded, so I don't know how it goes, but I wanted to have my organization system in place before loading books so that they would all be included. Does that only make sense in my head?

I'm concerned that I can easily search through all the books loaded onto my eReader, that I can mark books as read/ in progress/ or new and I guess also track anything I have borrowed from the local libraries & possibly from other friends (assuming my reader does that as I do not know for sure) so that those books will receive reading priority.

Honestly I have no idea what else I might need (I have chosen the cover which I will order, but fortunately for the interim the Cruz comes with a slightly padded sleeve which will have to do until the cover arrives.)
Aspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I think you will be better off with a tablet, or a capacitive touch screen. I bought one, and returned it the next day.

The wi-fi portion will make you want to throw it at the wall, my router was 10 ft in front of me and it got a "poor" connection and took 15 min the first time to connect.

There is a few ereader apps out there that work with it, Aldilik is pretty good, but it re-formated my books, which I didn't like.

I'm not a fan of the Cruz Reader....the manager at borders let me return it because in his words: "It has a long way to go before it will even compete"
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I don't own a Cruz reader but I can offer up a few generalities:
1- The Cruz reader runs a variation of the Android Operating System that was developed for cellphones. Since it was not intended for tablets, Google (its creator) does not allow access to it application repository. If you intend to use it as a planner you will have to see if Velocity Micro is offering access to those kinds of apps.
2- The reader app that gives you access to the Borders ebook store is produced by Kobo which is a Borders partner; Borders itself does *not* run the ebook store so there is only minimal contact between their stores and the online operation.
3- The reader app does in fact maintain a library on the reader device that you can use to browse and access the ebooks you copy over to the device.
4- Getting Calibre is a good first move but Calibre only manages DRM-free ebooks. The Cruz comes with its own software that you need to install to manage DRM'ed ebooks. (Unless you choose to learn how to remove DRM from the files--it's not hard. Then you could use Calibre for all your ebook management.)
5- DRM is an acronym (Digital Rights Management) used to described a "wrapper" layer of encryption that only allows the eboks you buy to be read on authorized hardware tied to your personal account.
6- Modern ebooks come primarily in two "flavors" Mobipocket/Kindle and ePub. Mobipocket and Kindle are both owned by Amazon and use variations of the same DRM. ePub files come with one of three different DRM encryption technologies tied to different ebook stores; Barnes and Noble's Nook, Apple's iBook, and Adobe Adept which is licensed to all comers (Sony, Fictionwise, Kobo, etc). eBooks from a given ebook store will only be usable with devices tied to that ebookstore or with applications (for PCs, cellphones, or tablets) that are linked to the bookstore. Hence the Kobo app on your tablet.
7- Because the Cruz runs Android you might, theoretically, be able to install reader apps to get DRM'ed ebooks from Amazon or Borders in addition to Kobo.
8- Also keep in mind that there are many commercial ebook sources that *don't* use DRM.

Hope that helps you get going.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I don't own a Cruz reader but I can offer up a few generalities:
1- The Cruz reader runs a variation of the Android Operating System that was developed for cellphones. Since it was not intended for tablets, Google (its creator) does not allow access to it application repository. If you intend to use it as a planner you will have to see if Velocity Micro is offering access to those kinds of apps.
2- The reader app that gives you access to the Borders ebook store is produced by Kobo which is a Borders partner; Borders itself does *not* run the ebook store so there is only minimal contact between their stores and the online operation.
3- The reader app does in fact maintain a library on the reader device that you can use to browse and access the ebooks you copy over to the device.
4- Getting Calibre is a good first move but Calibre only manages DRM-free ebooks. The Cruz comes with its own software that you need to install to manage DRM'ed ebooks. (Unless you choose to learn how to remove DRM from the files--it's not hard. Then you could use Calibre for all your ebook management.)
5- DRM is an acronym (Digital Rights Management) used to described a "wrapper" layer of encryption that only allows the eboks you buy to be read on authorized hardware tied to your personal account.
6- Modern ebooks come primarily in two "flavors" Mobipocket/Kindle and ePub. Mobipocket and Kindle are both owned by Amazon and use variations of the same DRM. ePub files come with one of three different DRM encryption technologies tied to different ebook stores; Barnes and Noble's Nook, Apple's iBook, and Adobe Adept which is licensed to all comers (Sony, Fictionwise, Kobo, etc). eBooks from a given ebook store will only be usable with devices tied to that ebookstore or with applications (for PCs, cellphones, or tablets) that are linked to the bookstore. Hence the Kobo app on your tablet.
7- Because the Cruz runs Android you might, theoretically, be able to install reader apps to get DRM'ed ebooks from Amazon or Borders in addition to Kobo.
8- Also keep in mind that there are many commercial ebook sources that *don't* use DRM.

Hope that helps you get going.
I was able to get the Nook on it, BUT, you have to softroot it with the "Macho cruz" firmware, which voids the warranty. That gives you access to the full android market, and the Kindle and Nook apps. If you don't softroot it, in my opinion, it's a paperweight.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:07 AM   #5
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
I think you'll probably want to update your firmware:
http://www.velocitymicro.com/support...D=&questionID=

go to to slatedroid if you want to root it and get more functionality.

the machine does not have a great reputation, but should be just fine as a reader. don't let all the negativity spoil your enthusiasm for such a thoughtful gift. at the very least, you have a serviceable reader. if you are adventurous, you have a fun project and toy to tinker with.

I'm thinking very seriously of getting the pocketbook IQ, which is another version of this machine (both are variants of the Pandigital novel).
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
Aspen
Aspen began at the beginning.

Device: Velocity Cruz
THANKS!

I appreciate the responses a lot!! I understand that this device is not going to compete with the Nook color or even with the more high end readers, but considering that I would never have bought a reader at all, I just am not willing to put in the extra money to get a high end one. I hope this device will do what I need it to do: provide me an easier way to keep up with the reading I *need* to do as well as using free/waiting time for pleasure reading. I hate stuffing my purse to the gills before leaving home.

Ideally, I can also use it as a planner and save myself some more purse room I like something to perform a couple different services to justify the hassle of making sure it is loaded, charged, and carrying it around.

I looked at the tablets and they just did way more than I would need it to do on the go. I don't like having multiple devices for basically the same function, and for me I have a small laptop for anything a tablet would do. Unfortunately my phone does not handle much more than phone calls and contact lists, so it's worthwhile for me to try out a eReader that also can do some wifi and organizing for me.

If it turns out that I am really into this technology (I don't expect this to happen but stranger things have), then at least I can learn the ropes on a device that only cost me a couple bucks (over what my mom paid for it) and I'll know exactly what else I want it to do come upgrade time....plus there will likely be better offerings out there at that time. A dedicated eReader just holds no interest for me at all.

The manager at Borders said that he'd just upgraded the firmware on the Cruz, so hopefully that isn't something I'll need to do right away. I'm not going to do anything to void the warranty, so I will just have to see what is out there for me to use.....and to fight off my techie hubby who likes to hack things

I kinda thought there were nook and kindle apps for every device....that seemed to be what ppl were saying on various reading boards. Am I mistaken? I've only used my pre-installed Borders app so far, but it went very smoothly and easily to download from the free selection (only 116 books) that Borders offers their new eReader customers. Wifi worked perfectly and quickly. I did read the newest firmware update fixed a wifi glitch, so I wonder if that was the previous problem.

The screen sometimes did not register my tap...seems I have to tap it harder than I expect...but when I used a fingernail it did great, so I think I may just get a stylus for it and hope that solves that issue.

I have access to a huge number of apps....hubby installed the app to the App Store which was available in the Cruz Marketplace and there are more than 1000 apps in there...definitely a lot more than I can sort through. Hubby also said a lot of apps are available out on the web and you don't have to go through the store. Those should work on my device, right?

I've found some planner apps that I think will work, but haven't downloaded any yet as I am just trying to learn one thing at a time. I do know that there is a Cruz tablet coming out next month that is supposed to use the same operating system I have, so how could it only be written for cell phones?

Definitely a lot of this technology is over my head at the moment, but I appreciate any help you can offer. I understand why someone would suggest that I go spend a 100 + more dollars on a different device, but that isn't going to happen at this point. I've spent all I am willing to spend right now esp since I have no idea that it will make my life any easier at all, and if it doesn't I'll be glad at least it was cheap

I believe you when you say there are much better options out there for more money, but that isn't going to happen. I am interested in learning about better options (that aren't only eReaders) for the same money, but I couldn't find them during my research.
Aspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:51 AM   #7
primetime34
Zealot
primetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3, Nook 3G
I have a bunch of children's books in cbr and pdf format. Do you know if this reader would work well to read those books with my children?
primetime34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:34 PM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime34 View Post
I have a bunch of children's books in cbr and pdf format. Do you know if this reader would work well to read those books with my children?
CBR's are zipped folders of jpegs; if you rename the file as a zip and extract it to a folder *anything* that can do slideshows can display them. Even a DVD player on a TV.

PDFs don't display great on anything smaller than a Windows/Mac/Linux computer but children's books tend to go for large text so the odds of a 7in webpad doing a good job go way up. No guarantees but the odds are in your favor.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:03 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspen View Post
I kinda thought there were nook and kindle apps for every device....that seemed to be what ppl were saying on various reading boards. Am I mistaken?

The screen sometimes did not register my tap...seems I have to tap it harder than I expect...but when I used a fingernail it did great, so I think I may just get a stylus for it and hope that solves that issue.

I do know that there is a Cruz tablet coming out next month that is supposed to use the same operating system I have, so how could it only be written for cell phones?

I believe you when you say there are much better options out there for more money, but that isn't going to happen. I am interested in learning about better options (that aren't only eReaders) for the same money, but I couldn't find them during my research.
1- Kindle and Nook do have android apps that *should* work for you. But they are (officially) distributed via Google's Android market only to cellphones. Beyond that it is up to the hardware vendor or the end user (or their inhouse tech support) to get the apps installed and running. The how is generally documented online but it takes a bit of surfing.

2- My experience with PocketPCs has been that resistive touch screens are best/most reliable with a stylus. Any old plastic stick will work fine but I'm partial to the multifunction pen/pencil/stylus combos like this one:
http://www.shoplet.com/Paper-mate-Mu.../PAP69076/spdv
A friend of mine used to grow his index finger nail long enough to clip it/file it to a sharp point so he could use it as a stylus. Not my first choice but he managed it with seriously hurting himself, so I guess it's an option.

3- The current versions of Android (1.x, 2.x) were not designed for tablets and they are not supported/recommended by Google for that use. The official word from Google is to wait for Android 3.x next spring for a "proper tablet-like experience". That is not stopping hardware vendors from using the older versions (it helps that Android phones come with HighRes screens so the Apps usually scale properly to tablet screens) but the results *so far* range from merely "less than perfect" to totally unacceptable. For your purposes this should not be relevant since you don't expect/desire PC functionality.

(I'm looking into the Pocketbook IQ for similar reasons myself; I already have a Tablet PC and a Netbook but I might have a use for a color reader in that size/price range.)

Personally, if I were to spend much more than $300 on a slate-like device I'd expect it to run a full PC-grade OS not an upscaled cellphone/pda OS so I'd rather have a Win7 slate like the Viliv models. Just me, of course.

Given your outlook and inhouse tech support you should do fine with your toy.
Have fun!