Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-25-2023, 03:42 AM   #1006
Kaac
Kaac began at the beginning.

Device: PW2 5.12.2.2
Hello!
Thank you for this tutorial!

Im not sure if i missed something, but i don't know how to access shell after completing all steps...

Anyone have an idea?

My main (first) goal after jailbreak is make possible to install custom screensaver images.
Kaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 11:54 AM   #1007
ajs256
he/him
ajs256 is on a distinguished road

Device: Jailbroken Kindle PW3 + PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaac View Post
Hello!
Thank you for this tutorial!

Im not sure if i missed something, but i don't know how to access shell after completing all steps...

Anyone have an idea?

My main (first) goal after jailbreak is make possible to install custom screensaver images.
If all you want is a shell, try kterm https://github.com/bfabiszewski/kterm/releases/tag/v2.6 .
ajs256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2023, 12:34 PM   #1008
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs256 View Post
If all you want is a shell, try kterm https://github.com/bfabiszewski/kterm/releases/tag/v2.6 .
An alternative is to install USBNetworking and configure ssh access.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 01:57 PM   #1009
rokibulroni
Mad Reader
rokibulroni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Can I use this techniques to Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition 32GB version?
Also, After jailbreak, Is it possible to play audio file, like mp3 or m4a by using headphone?
rokibulroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 08:00 PM   #1010
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokibulroni View Post
Also, After jailbreak, Is it possible to play audio file, like mp3 or m4a by using headphone?
Only if your current firmware version is in the correct range,

Kindles have not had headphone jacks for many years.
Advert
Old 01-03-2024, 10:53 PM   #1011
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokibulroni View Post
Assuming you mean Bluetooth headphones you would need to install the Sox Media Player extension after you have done the jailbreak and installed KUAL. You can play any Sox supported media which includes mp3 but not aac/m4a files. You can also play supported internet audio streams.

Dave

Last edited by dhdurgee; 01-03-2024 at 11:11 PM.
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 04:59 PM   #1012
Kronface
Kronface began at the beginning.

Device: Glo, Clara 2E
Alright.

Is jail breaking a 10th gen KT on 5.15.1.1 still a no go?

Cheers
Kronface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 05:37 PM   #1013
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronface View Post
Alright.

Is jail breaking a 10th gen KT on 5.15.1.1 still a no go?

Cheers
See the thread on LanguageBreak, this one won't work at that firmware level.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 06:02 PM   #1014
Kronface
Kronface began at the beginning.

Device: Glo, Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
See the thread on LanguageBreak, this one won't work at that firmware level.

Dave
Ta for the heads up.

o7
Kronface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 09:44 PM   #1015
Brynwall
Enthusiast
Brynwall began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Does this hack now replace the one in this thread, or are they different?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?t=356872]
Brynwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 10:16 AM   #1016
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynwall View Post
Does this hack now replace the one in this thread, or are they different?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?t=356872]
Did you even read the first post in either thread?

WatchThis precedes languageBreak. Which one to use depends on what your current firmware version is.
Old 01-23-2024, 02:35 PM   #1017
quetza888
quetza888 began at the beginning.

Device: amazon kindle dx graphite
i did everything correctly, but when i try installed kual it failed to install, so i reset everything just to try again, now i cant update the hotfix file, is gray out, does anybody knows how to fix it? thanks kindle 7 gen basic kt2
quetza888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 09:31 PM   #1018
mgrimace
Connoisseur
mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Long-time 5.14.2 jailbroken KOA2 user, is there any benefit to updating to 5.16.2.1.1 + new jailbreak? E.g., any benefits to the newer firmware, or just sit tight at 5.14.2?
mgrimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 09:38 AM   #1019
mgrimace
Connoisseur
mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrimace View Post
Long-time 5.14.2 jailbroken KOA2 user, is there any benefit to updating to 5.16.2.1.1 + new jailbreak? E.g., any benefits to the newer firmware, or just sit tight at 5.14.2?
To follow-up: I updated KO2 to 5.16.2.1.1, the jailbreak persisted (good). The steps I took to update everything from my old jailbreak to the new(er) firmware, KUAL, etc., were:
- update to the official firmware (copied it to the root of the kindle, then rebooted, the 'update your kindle' option never showed up).
- update mrpackages (by replacing extensions/MRinstaller with the newest version, I hadn't updated this since the original jailbreak)
- update hotfix - I did this by putting the hotfix bin in /mrpackages and using ;log mrpi. The update your kindle option didn't work (error after reboot/during install)
- update KUAL - installed by using the coplate (non-hotfix) version and ;log mrpi. Note it installed successfully, then gave a r/o error, rebooted, and it was fine.

A few errors along the way and trial and error, but AFAIK the jailbreak is working, KUAL is working, and we're solid.
mgrimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 05:50 PM   #1020
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I have have a KOA2 with 5.14.2 firmware that I'm trying to jailbreak.

I got as far as the post-jailbreak step where you're supposed to install the "hotfix". I copied "Update_hotfix_watchthis_custom.bin" to the root of the Kindle storage but I can't run "Update your kindle" as it is permanently greyed out. I've tried re-starting but that hasn't helped.

Any ideas? Thanks
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak