Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-17-2007, 10:06 AM   #1
Rp3
Rp3 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Broken Screen - Repair Costs

Just to let you guys know, I have recently broke my screen, not sure how. I travel a lot and it got smashed in my packpack I guess. Well I sent it off to sony for repair.

270.61 to get it fixed.

So now I Have a 570 dollar reader!

Be very carefull with it, I am now searching for more protection, I am looking at the Pouch place as it says it has 4 extra layers of protection. Is there a hard case for it anywhere? Anyone know?

Thanks,
Rp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:29 AM   #2
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Ouch Rp3, did if float to the bottom of your backpack? I'm a little concerned when I travel with mine and tend to put it screen facing some hard flat object to avoid just this kind of occurence. I broke a PDA screen once on my iPaq, but was able to purchase a replacement for ~$90 and replaced it myself. Too bad there aren't any readily available eInk screens available so we can do this ourselves.

Sorry to hear about this. Please try to be more careful, hope this doesn't happen to you again (or me, for that matter).
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
Yikes. Sorry about your reader
Do you, by any chance, have any photos (i'm just curious as to how a broken e-ink screen looks like)?

BTW, i keep mine in my inner jacket pocket or, sometimes, on top of my macbook pro in a laptop bag. Where do you people usually keep it when commuting/traveling?
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:50 AM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcinus
Where do you people usually keep it when commuting/traveling?
So far, I've only had it for business travel... haven't taken a vacation trip in ages. So I just put it in my padded laptop case. I think there also exist backpacks for sale that are meant to carry laptops, which might be another option for some people.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
That really stinks, Rp3.

For traveling, I've been using either this, or this, depending on the trip itself. The second one is excellent when you don't want folks to wonder about it (who looks twice at a plain old book?), but the first one is clearly superior in protection, and several other ways.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2007, 01:35 PM   #6
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Sorry you broke your screen and ouch, that is a lot of money. I am glad I bought the insurance for three years.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:17 PM   #7
taralon
Enthusiast
taralon has learned how to buy an e-book online

This is one of the reasons I bought the Reader at the Sony store and divied up the $45 for the 3 year accidental damage replacement plan. I don't usually buy plans for equipment that stays static but $350 for a reader that's going to get carried everywhere, in whatever pocket is available... it seemed like a good idea.
taralon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:24 PM   #8
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Another way to protect yourself from accidental damage to your Reader is to use a credit card offering extended coverage for items purchased with the credit card.

That's how all of mine have been protected, no extra charge and automatic.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:55 PM   #9
Rp3

Thanks for the reply's

thanks for all the reply's, I guess I just didn't take care of it.

Sorry no pictures, but where what ever hit it it looked like a sunburst but at 45 degree angles if you understand that.

As for more protection, I like the wood thing, but then the dam reader is getting too expensive ...

I will live, I learned my lesson though, it will be in the front pouch of the backpack from now and I will take more care of it.

Live and learn.

I can't wait to get it back though ..
Old 02-20-2007, 08:05 AM   #10
stxopher
Nameless Being

Sorry to hear about the needed repair but at least I can point to this as an example of why I sliced up my cover for reinforcement. A repair that costs almost as much as the item being repaired.....ouch!

Working in a machine shop I was able to get a thin piece of titanium to slip inside the front of the reader cover. The top of the cover doesn't look as tidy but for the cost of a screen repair it's more than livable. (Maybe I should make a "Cover Reinforcement Kit" out of our scrap materials and market it. )
Old 02-20-2007, 08:21 AM   #11
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

May not be a bad idea actually. That screen needs protection!
Old 02-28-2007, 01:12 PM   #12
Rp3

I'd buy it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stxopher
Sorry to hear about the needed repair but at least I can point to this as an example of why I sliced up my cover for reinforcement. A repair that costs almost as much as the item being repaired.....ouch!

Working in a machine shop I was able to get a thin piece of titanium to slip inside the front of the reader cover. The top of the cover doesn't look as tidy but for the cost of a screen repair it's more than livable. (Maybe I should make a "Cover Reinforcement Kit" out of our scrap materials and market it. )

I would buy it!! ...

Just have to be more carefull with it and am going to get one of those neoprene cases for it....

Thanks,
Old 02-28-2007, 02:45 PM   #13
stxopher
Nameless Being

Actually, after following Aprilbeginning's Quick Cover topic I have been playing around with a design for a light rigid slipcover for a friend. Not as protective as M-Edge's but for those of us just dropping it in a briefcase or leave it sitting around it could offer an extra couple seconds of protection.

Hmmm, if I make a product (even if it doesn't sell) can I write off my Sony as a business expense? (Maybe I could convince the IRS that all those ebooks I bought were for testing to see how much the added weight would affect the cover fit of the final product.) Hmmmmmm......
Old 02-28-2007, 02:52 PM   #14
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stxopher
Actually, after following Aprilbeginning's Quick Cover topic I have been playing around with a design for a light rigid slipcover for a friend. Not as protective as M-Edge's but for those of us just dropping it in a briefcase or leave it sitting around it could offer an extra couple seconds of protection.

Hmmm, if I make a product (even if it doesn't sell) can I write off my Sony as a business expense? (Maybe I could convince the IRS that all those ebooks I bought were for testing to see how much the added weight would affect the cover fit of the final product.) Hmmmmmm......
Oh yea, I am sure the IRS will do this
Will be interested in seeing what you come up for a quickie cover.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:03 PM   #15
ThomWill
Enthusiast
ThomWill is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-500 (Sony Reader)
I bought a hard pencil box at staples for $1.79. I put the reader and my MP3 player in it when I travel. Protects them both on the cheap.
ThomWill is offline   Reply With Quote