Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-18-2008, 07:39 PM   #16
palex481
Connoisseur
palex481 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
Yes I whole-heartedly agree with your review. I hadn't read any book of any sort since I graduated college 5 years ago. Since I've bought this, I've read 6 books now and I'm obsessively downloading new ones to put in my queue for my upcoming beach trip. Not that I'll read them all, but I like seeing them sitting in the collections on my reader. My small virtual library.

I especially love the classics. Books I never got around to reading, I can just get for free. Dickens, Melville, Bronte, Tolstoy, etc.

I have a new love of reading. I was reading outside the other day on my deck because it was a beautiful bright sunny day. My girlfriend took her laptop out to the deck and tried to do some web surfing on it and gave up about 5 minutes later, but then I showed her my Sony reader was crystal clear and easily read and she was very impressed.

I read at my lunch break and everyone who sees the Sony thinks its such a cool device.
It really is a perfect device. The battery life is just phenomenal.
palex481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:35 PM   #17
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Haha I fell for the title too, but I am on the same page as you are. I absolutely love my reader and there's no way I am going back to paper except to collect them for my uber-coy library room I hope to build when I kick the kids out of the house.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2008, 09:33 AM   #18
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
You can add my vote as well. Now I only buy hardcover books that I want to collect for my library. Otherwise, it is my sony Reader or pass.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:54 AM   #19
edsohsmith
Connoisseur
edsohsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 (soon)
The biggest compliment i can make for the machine is it has increased the amount of joy I get from reading and has caused me to read for pleasure more than I had previously.

Some how I prefer the one page eink screen to the traditional fanned out book. I love not needing a bookmark. I love that the wind does not flip the pages and that the book does not close on itself!

Great product.
edsohsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:57 AM   #20
chiral
chiral will become famous soon enoughchiral will become famous soon enoughchiral will become famous soon enoughchiral will become famous soon enoughchiral will become famous soon enoughchiral will become famous soon enough

Device: 505
I have been an avid ebook reader for many years, especially on early PDAs. I read about 2-3 books a week typically of light to medium fiction (say from Stross to DeLillo). I can no longer get the speed using paper-based books nor can I multitask reading as I'd like with tree-flesh tech. While the Sony is not perfect--the lag in turning pages for me is significant--it still reaches the "immersive" level that I could reach using the PDAs.
I live in a rural area and we have no comprehensive bookstores nearby. Our libraries meet ordinary needs, I suppose, but not for some of us compulsive readers. Nor for us whose eyesight is failing.
And as many of you have pointed out, the Sony bookstore is wholly inadequate both numerically and qualitatively.
Of course I feel a breath of guilt down my spine as I read books that originated from #bookz on Undernet, but I have made some partial amends by donating a few specialized multiple book-length publications of mine into the public domain.
I've got about 260 books on my 505 now, mostly classic belle lettres, what is basically the union of "best 100" lists and university reading lists, and genre pockets such as SF and postmodernism. The only saving grace of my reading mania is that as I age I am beginning to forget enough details so I can reread books profitably.
Besides the 505, I am beginning to listen to books as well. Some books profit immensely by a good reader, take Ulysses by James Joyce. Many of his puns and allusions are by sound and often in one of several foreign languages such as French, Latin, or Greek. An expert speaker can evoke connections that my inner mispronouncing subvocalization completely missed. Beyond the pronunciation, books-on-flash-memory mean that I can listen with my eyes closed which is great for long airplane flights or at night in bed.
chiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2008, 05:05 AM   #21
WDecraene
Zealot
WDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enough

Device: A FREE (!!!) replacement cybook gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekchic View Post
I'm so glued to my Reader......it's propped up against the sink when I brush my teeth in the morning. Colleagues at work tease me about staring at it as I walk down the hall for coffee in the mornings

So many places where I can prop it up and not need a hand keeping a book open!
Me too !! Me too !! I read (even) more than I used to and in the most odd places. I can even read while giving my wife a massage (the only reason she hasn't complained yet, I'm afraid) ...
WDecraene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:29 PM   #22
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Stealth reading Rules!

I bring mine to Church with me and I have a Bible on it and if the person next to me asks I show em the Bible at the beginning of service. If the sermon is boring, (About 20 percent of them are) I stealthily switch to my latest read and wallah! the guy next to me thinks I'm reading scripture but meanwhile i'm lost in space or middle earth or etc etc.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:22 AM   #23
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
heh, sneaky...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:21 PM   #24
khourianya
TechnoBookworm
khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini
You captured my exact sentiment about my reader. It is that moment when you realize that it is better than any book because it is EVERY book that it's beauty fills your heart.

The part I love best is when I am on my commuter bus on the way home from work and I finish the book I am reading...and I just go back to the menu to get the next one. Instead of waiting til I get home to start. THAT made me forever loyal.

And I was the BIGGEST doubter of the technology from the start.
khourianya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:26 PM   #25
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Holy thread back from the dead, Batman!

My original statement still stands, though it's been slightly modified in the sense that the Reader has been banished from the house, and I've been Kindle-fied. I'm so glad to be rid of the Windows-only Reader, and enjoy just grabbing a book from the Kindle itself, no matter where I am! I'll never have to connect it to a computer. Hallelujah!
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:31 AM   #26
C6REW
Connoisseur
C6REW has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
Stealth reading Rules!

I bring mine to Church with me and I have a Bible on it and if the person next to me asks I show em the Bible at the beginning of service. If the sermon is boring, (About 20 percent of them are) I stealthily switch to my latest read and wallah! the guy next to me thinks I'm reading scripture but meanwhile i'm lost in space or middle earth or etc etc.
Roy,

That has to win a prize for the best use of a reader ever!

Regards

Chris
C6REW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:30 AM   #27
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
Smile

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG
When was the last time you picked up a book and said, "Wow, this looks like a page?" And this is exactly why the Reader is phenomenal.
You said it. I have the same experience with my Kindle. It's amazing how much more comfortable reading is.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:39 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Holy thread back from the dead, Batman!

My original statement still stands, though it's been slightly modified in the sense that the Reader has been banished from the house, and I've been Kindle-fied. I'm so glad to be rid of the Windows-only Reader, and enjoy just grabbing a book from the Kindle itself, no matter where I am! I'll never have to connect it to a computer. Hallelujah!
Given Amazon's history with eBooks, you'd actually trust them to be able to always be able to redownload purchased content you may someday want to reread? BIG MISTAKE! And if you do decide to stop trusting Amazon, you'll need to be hooked to a computer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:12 AM   #29
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
WONDERFUL!!!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #30
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Very nice post refelt the emotion of the first days... sigh!
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote