Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-04-2009, 08:13 AM   #1
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Kindle (And Ereaders) Advantage on the Subway

From an article on reading habits on the subway:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/06/ny...06reading.html

"These days, among the tattered covers may be the occasional Kindle, but since most trains are still devoid of Internet access and cellphone reception, the subway ride remains a rare low-tech interlude in a city of inveterate multitasking workaholics."

This is one area where iPhone apps and netbooks lose the advantage to eReaders (of course there are only Kindles in NY apparently).

And - this article is a wonderful rebuttal to those critics loudly declaiming "People don't really read anymore do they?"

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 09-04-2009 at 08:20 AM.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:47 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
But wasn't the internet connection the advantage of the Kindle? Then why is it good you are in a subway if you don't have a connection there?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2009, 08:55 AM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
But wasn't the internet connection the advantage of the Kindle? Then why is it good you are in a subway if you don't have a connection there?
B/c you already have your books downloaded on your K before you board the subway. And don't need an active connection to continue reading, as you do with an iPhone.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:21 AM   #4
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Doesn't the iphone store the books on the device then, the mobipocket reader for things like the blackberry stores the books just like a normal ereader.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:35 AM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?

I think the article's author was thinking about accessing a new book while on the subway - while without connectivity.
Advert
Old 09-04-2009, 01:16 PM   #6
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, maybe that was it, but it does seem a slightly odd conclusion to reach when the reality is probably much simpler and that is that there are a lot less ereaders out there than ordinary books.

I have to say that since I got my sony, its very rare indeed for me to have it with me if I go out during the day, on a crowded train the form factor is even more convenient than a paperback and with my tendency to lose a bookmark if I put it in a book, jumping straight to where you left off when you switched it off just makes it so much easier to fit in a few more pages here and there that wouldn't be otherwise possible.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #7
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I think the article's author was thinking about accessing a new book while on the subway - while without connectivity.
Seems strange that he'd take that stance... I mean, doesn't Kindle use cell phone networks? I'm sure I've seen plenty of TV clips showing hordes of subway riders yakking madly away on their cell phones - not that I have even the *slightest* clue as to why.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:10 PM   #8
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
If I ever ride a NY subway I won't have my attention on an ereader, more like making sure I don't get mugged
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:26 PM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But you can't do that on a kindle either... Or can't you actually download a book to an iphone like you can on any mobipocket enabled phone?
Old 09-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #10
switchman2210
Enthusiast
switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Black PRS-650 with lighted cover & Kindle DX.
Quote:
If you read it again, the article is saying people read because there is not internet conectivity.

Quote:
but since most trains are still devoid of Internet access and cellphone reception, the subway ride remains a rare low-tech interlude in a city of inveterate multitasking workaholics. And so, we read.
switchman2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #11
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
The subway isn't all that crime ridden.

Personally I like that with an e-reader, no one knows what I'm reading. There are a lot of loud mouths who think they're entitled to comment on the cover of every book I have open.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:44 PM   #12
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
B/c you already have your books downloaded on your K before you board the subway. And don't need an active connection to continue reading, as you do with an iPhone.
I think you might be getting a little confused here.

The iphone and Kindle work in exactly the same way with regards to storing and reading a book. you download it/them when you have a connection and you read them once on the device even when you have no connection.

I don't know where you got the impression that an iphone needed an active connection to be able to read a book but it's a false one I'm afraid.
Mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:46 PM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchman2210 View Post
If you read it again, the article is saying people read because there is not internet conectivity.
Yes, and we all know you can't read on iphones and netbooks, naturally.

Oh well, first they praise the wireless connection and shoot down any other device that doesn't have it and now they say it's an advantage that you don't need that wireless connection...
Old 09-04-2009, 05:34 PM   #14
Crowl
Wizard

Another possibility for what the author meant with that bit, the main use of an ereader doesn't need a net connection, whereas the main uses of a phone such as sms/mms, calls, browsing or email all need a signal.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:43 PM   #15
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Another possibility for what the author meant with that bit, the main use of an ereader doesn't need a net connection, whereas the main uses of a phone such as sms/mms, calls, browsing or email all need a signal.
That's how I interpreted the article.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote