Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
felinus
felinus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Wouldn't it be usefull

Ok so you have a library of well over a thousand books, wouldn't it be usefull if there was some software out there that would extract all of the title pages as jpeg's and dump them in a folder so that a catalogue could be made of all the front covers, very nice for browsing and choosing the next book to read.
Anyone know of any such software ?
https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd1/chin_scratch.gif
felinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by felinus View Post
Ok so you have a library of well over a thousand books, wouldn't it be usefull if there was some software out there that would extract all of the title pages as jpeg's and dump them in a folder so that a catalogue could be made of all the front covers, very nice for browsing and choosing the next book to read.
Anyone know of any such software ?
https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd1/chin_scratch.gif
Calibre already exists

Right click the Covert Icon: Create Catalog: <select output format and options>
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
aleyx
Addict
aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Cybook Diva
Is the ePub output new in 1.8? Never noticed it before... That makes that whole thread kinda moot ^_^;
aleyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleyx View Post
Is the ePub output new in 1.8? Never noticed it before... That makes that whole thread kinda moot ^_^;
It has grey whiskers it has been around so long.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
aleyx
Addict
aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Cybook Diva
...One of these days I'll just open Calibre and go through every single menu and option. Just to see what's there. Because obviously I've missed a lot of goodies...
aleyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleyx View Post
...One of these days I'll just open Calibre and go through every single menu and option. Just to see what's there. Because obviously I've missed a lot of goodies...
Be prepared to repeat that action frequently
I discover thing that have been added (or moved, but that has not happened for a while) all the time.
It is difficult to stay on top of the changes.

Each of us tend to use only a small subset of the features of Calibre.

My Goal is (ADE compatible, Greyscale) EPUB with an occasional Mobi. I rarely (blue moon ) touch any of the other output formats.
Every user is different
Old 10-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Calibre already exists

Right click the Covert Icon: Create Catalog: <select output format and options>
First they steal my email account, then they bug Angie's cell - now they're installing hidden plugins into our ebook libraries :lol:

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
First they steal my email account, then they bug Angie's cell - now they're installing hidden plugins into our ebook libraries :lol:

BR
Old 10-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #9
felinus

Thanks to theducks for mentioning the catalog option, sadly this only produces a whole load of files titled cover.jpg. To import them into a document they would have to be indivually re-named which with over a thousand books would be very time consuming.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #10
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Thanks to theducks for mentioning the catalog option, sadly this only produces a whole load of files titled cover.jpg. To import them into a document they would have to be indivually re-named which with over a thousand books would be very time consuming.
I am confused! If you select to have an epub file as the output you get a single file with all the covers embedded in it.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #11
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I am confused! If you select to have an epub file as the output you get a single file with all the covers embedded in it.
Plus, you can set lots of options about what you want to have in that epub besides cover.
When I am saving a bunch of books for my reader, I select the books, save them to disk and then create a catalog of them. Then you can browse nicely hyperlinked catalog on your reader at your leisure.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
MiniMouse
Groupie
MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Well, there will always be a big time delay because I'm not living in the US! And there could be some communication difficulties too because I'm not a native speaker!
Device: Sony PRS-T3S
Quote:
I'm confused too! You have to select AZW3, MOBI or EPUB for the catalogs format then you will get a one single e-book document. Isn't that what you wanted?

You can even select more information for your catalog. Like for example me, reading a lot of fanfiction and wanting more information in it like genre, characters, In-Progress or Completed and other stuff. So I made me two custom columns (build from other columns) for the 'Other options' section in the catalog.

One displaying: Words / Status / gelesen (meaning read) for the 'Extra Description note'
Second displaying: Genre // Slash // Characters for the 'Merge with Comments'

And I even included my column 'Community' in it under 'Included sections' so that I can also see all books of a community together as a section and scroll through the recommendations. You can see the outcome on the picture I attached.

I found the catalog a perfect way to go through my library and select a new story when I'm not infront of my laptop.

MiniMouse
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	catalog.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	509.3 KB
ID:	114023  
MiniMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #13
robin58
Enthusiast
robin58 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, Nook ST
I too don't really see the need, but something like irfanview can easily be used to create a contact sheet of all the cover.jpg (or any differently named file) in the library directory.

Simply search for image files (limit dates or just the whole directory), create thumbnails, then use the contact sheet output setting your preferences as to number per row / column etc.

It only takes a matter of a few seconds.

You'll then end up with something like:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	contact sheet.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	114029  
robin58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #14
felinus

Yes, Irfanview is a good program but it wouldn't pick up a load of files all with the same name.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #15
robin58
Enthusiast
robin58 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, Nook ST
Quote:
Yes, Irfanview is a good program but it wouldn't pick up a load of files all with the same name.
Yes it does. Simply look at my contact sheet. Every single jpg is named cover.jpg.

Use CTR-F to search for your for your paramaters. Set .jpg as the extension. Select your ebook directory. Limit the dates if you so desire. When it finishes you'll see it has found x hundreds (thousands) with the name cover.jpg. Select show in thumbnails. When it shows the thumbnails, select them all CTRL A, and then File > Create Contact Sheet. Set your parameters there for how you want it to show (page size, rows/columns) and then save the output as a jpg. Like I said it takes seconds even scanning my directory of 15000+ books.

Last edited by robin58; 10-26-2013 at 04:27 PM.
robin58 is offline   Reply With Quote