Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #16
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
When I sideload books, whether directly or via calibre, those new books go ahead of any other books on the home page carousel.

However, if I sync and newly purchased books are downloaded from Kobo, the first downoaded book goes into the second position on the carousel, the second book goes into third position, etc. But the book in position one, the one I am currently reading, remains in position, even if it is a sideloaded epub.

This is with firmware 2.3.2, I didn't really pay attention to how it works in previous versions.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Send by eMail
Thanks Peter.

Looking through the files, there is one sort method I haven't seen before. This is "sortByNull()". I tested it on my Touch and it worked. But, it is an unsorted list. Not very useful. I was hoping to find the sort for the "I'm reading" list from the original Kobo. It didn't seem to be in there.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #18
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
When I sideload books, whether directly or via calibre, those new books go ahead of any other books on the home page carousel.

However, if I sync and newly purchased books are downloaded from Kobo, the first downoaded book goes into the second position on the carousel, the second book goes into third position, etc. But the book in position one, the one I am currently reading, remains in position, even if it is a sideloaded epub.

This is with firmware 2.3.2, I didn't really pay attention to how it works in previous versions.
It's been like that for a while. I think the book in position 1 is only pushed away if you load more than 5 new books.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #19
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I think the odds of Kobo changing how the home screen works with newly loaded books are not good.

Kobo has optimized their experience to work best with buying books from the Kobo store. This is understandable; they want to make money. The Kobo store experience is built around buying one book at a time.

So, they've optimized the interface to reflect this. You buy your one book. It downloads to your reader. Boom! There it is, right on the home page, in position number 2.

This is the best result possible for the target user. The book they just bought is right there on the home screen, easily found. No fiddling with menus. It's available to them immediately.

I am a big fan of the flexibility in Kobo. It supports epub, the closest thing we've got to a true e-book standard. It supports Adobe's 3rd-party DRM to allow for purchasing from the greatest number of vendors possible. You can sideload books with a simple drag & drop using any file manager, or even a command line in some shell or another. You can use Calibre if you want (admittedly, this is more due to the time, energy & persistence of the Calibre developers then anything from Kobo's side.)

But I firmly believe that expecting Kobo to change the home page experience to something that does not cater to their main market is expecting a bit too much.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote