Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Solar Powered e-Book reader announced.

I just saw this on engadget.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/19/k...sp02-e-reader/

I have been wondering why ebooks haven't started putting solar power cells on them before. Their power requirements are low enough that they could either significantly extend the battery life or replace recharging all together. Imagine, while your ebook reader sleeps during the day, it automatically recharges without you having to do anything so it is ready for hours and hours of reading that night .

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I guess that would be good for people that read outside on vacation at the beach

It's almost winter so I wouldn't be reading outside with it now. During the day I keep my reader with me while I'm at work so I can read before I start and during lunch (and sometimes in between ). I work in an office and have no place to put it so it can charge by sunlight. I couldn't leave it at home outside it's case/sleeve unattended because my cat would turn it into a bed.

I'm not sure how well this will do.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
If it would work on indoor lighting like many calulators will and have battery back up, I might be interested.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
Ken Irving
Writer
Ken Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Nook "1st Edition" Wireless, Nook4PC, NookStudy, Kindle4PC
Good idea, though it might be better to stick the solar panel up top, out of the way of reading hands. Most solar-powered devices don't require direct sunlight, and in fact don't necessarily require sunlight at all, so any light will do. My reader is often on my desk where I've got two very bright desk lamps (one of which actually uses a "daylight" bulb), and I think that would be sufficient to keep it charged up.
Ken Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:31 PM   #5
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I guess that would be good for people that read outside on vacation at the beach

It's almost winter so I wouldn't be reading outside with it now. During the day I keep my reader with me while I'm at work so I can read before I start and during lunch (and sometimes in between ). I work in an office and have no place to put it so it can charge by sunlight. I couldn't leave it at home outside it's case/sleeve unattended because my cat would turn it into a bed.

I'm not sure how well this will do.
Well, usually "solar" cells, strictly speaking, don't actually need sun light. Any sort of light will do. Granted the brighter the better, but I bet we have all run "solar" powered calculators by the light of a lamp.

--
Bill
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
If it would work on indoor lighting like many calulators will and have battery back up, I might be interested.
But remember, before you buy an unknown reader, first make sure the software is good enough. There's lots of good hardware out there with lousy software.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:08 PM   #7
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Well, usually "solar" cells, strictly speaking, don't actually need sun light. Any sort of light will do. Granted the brighter the better, but I bet we have all run "solar" powered calculators by the light of a lamp.

--
Bill
Apparently I live in a bubble I've not ever used a solar calculator and didn't know that they could be charged with any light . Thanks for the info
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:50 PM   #8
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I wouldn't want one. I'd rather have a cheaper device with a battery that last 2-3 weeks. I have to charge my stinkin' phone every night. I can live with 2-3 weeks battery life on an ereader!
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:18 PM   #9
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
I wouldn't want one. I'd rather have a cheaper device with a battery that last 2-3 weeks. I have to charge my stinkin' phone every night. I can live with 2-3 weeks battery life on an ereader!
Why? If they can make one that works as well as solar powered calculators, as long as you had enough light to read it, you would have enough to run it. You would never have to recharge it.

I feel your pain on the phone. I keep mine turned off until I actually need to use it. The battery will last me a couple of months that way.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:34 PM   #10
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Job #2 pays for the phone and I have to be able to receive their emails on it while I'm at job #1, so I have to keep it on.

I think the solar panel would just add expense to the ereader. It's honestly not that big a deal to charge it every few weeks. And I think most people would agree that they would rather have a smaller bezel around the screen (at least I've read that many places on this forum).
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #11
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
You know, I use a cover with my liseuse, why not a hard cover that flips up, instead of left or right, totally full of solar cells. Fold down for carry, with the outside a hard case cover.

I have a batteryless calculator I bought 27 years ago, it's still alive and kicking....Why not a e-book reader?
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:55 AM   #12
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
And I think most people would agree that they would rather have a smaller bezel around the screen (at least I've read that many places on this forum).
I thought I would prefer that, too, and for a long time resisted getting a kindle for that very reason. Now, though, I prefer having more non-screen space for a couple of reasons: One, I can pick it up and hold it without having to be so conscious of whether or not I'm going to get fingerprints on the screen, and two, with these stupid progressive lenses in my glasses, my "up-and-down" range is not that large. I can prop the kindle in front of me on my lap or on a desk and the fuzzy area of my vision is in the keyboard area, not the reading area. (I've got the K2 -- I'm not sure the K3 would work as well for me.) YMMV, of course, but it actually works to my advantage to have more non-screen space.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:06 AM   #13
R. Reed
Enthusiast
R. Reed writes the songs that make the whole world sing.R. Reed writes the songs that make the whole world sing.R. Reed writes the songs that make the whole world sing.R. Reed writes the songs that make the whole world sing.R. Reed writes the songs that make the whole world sing.R. Reed writes the songs that make the whole world sing.R. Reed writes the songs that make the whole world sing.R. Reed writes the songs that make the whole world sing.R. Reed writes the songs that make the whole world sing.R. Reed writes the songs that make the whole world sing.R. Reed writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle
A solar powered ereader is my answer to "what one electronic gadget would you take with you to a deserted island." I could read in peace for the rest of my life.
R. Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #14
bill_mchale
Wizard

Quote:
I don't think it would necessarily be all that cheaper.

That being said, personally, I would love to have an electronic gadget where I literally didn't have to worry about how long I had left before it had to be recharged.

--
Bill
Old 10-21-2010, 10:18 AM   #15
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I don't think it would necessarily be all that cheaper.

That being said, personally, I would love to have an electronic gadget where I literally didn't have to worry about how long I had left before it had to be recharged.

--
Bill