Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-16-2011, 06:07 PM   #1
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Question for the Nook Color folks

Are you able to download magazines to your PC and side load them to your Color Nook?

I have a tablet running Nook for Android and I purchased a magazine subscription that says, on their web site, that it can only be read by the Color Nook or the Nook for Android. I can't download it to my PC or to my tablet via Nook for Android without getting an incompatible device message.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards - John

Last edited by Jabby; 06-16-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Hmm, that's interesting. The Nook 4 Tablets app was recently updated to allow magazine downloading for all my subscriptions; I wonder if the magazine publisher you're using didn't give B&N the go-ahead to do that. (The onus is on the publisher to allow B&N to allow the magazine to work with the nook apps.)

Which magazine is it, if you don't mind telling us? Those of us with tablets could get the free first issue and check it out -- see if we can replicate the error.

Anyway, to answer your question, you can't sideload the magazines via the Nook 4 PC software.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
What tablet do you have? Magazines and newspapers are supposedly only available on high resolution devices.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:14 PM   #4
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
What tablet do you have? Magazines and newspapers are supposedly only available on high resolution devices.
Good point.

I *do* have a post on my website for backing up magazines from a tablet. I'll check my computer tonight and see if the same method can be applied to the Nook 4 PC app.

http://www.anamardoll.com/2011/06/er...e-backups.html

Then you could sideload them to your tablet as PDFs or something similar.

'Course, that's assuming you can get them via the Nook 4 PC app which is, I think, still limited by the publisher's decision, so it's not uniform across all the magazines.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Which magazine is it, if you don't mind telling us? Those of us with tablets could get the free first issue and check it out -- see if we can replicate the error.

Anyway, to answer your question, you can't sideload the magazines via the Nook 4 PC software.
The magazine is "redbook".

I normally download my books to my PC (not using Nook for PC) and transfer them via USB to readers that don't have wifi (Sony, JetBook or ESlick). Works like a champ.

Regards - John

Last edited by Jabby; 06-16-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:36 PM   #6
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
You may have something there! I have a 7" Coby running Android 2.2 with a screen resolution of 800X600. But I can download Ellery Queen and Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Mags, side load them and read them with either Aldiko 2.0 or Nook for Android.

Most confusing. Regards - John
Old 06-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #7
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
The magazine is "redbook".

I normally download my books to my PC (not using Nook for PC) and transfer them via USB to readers that don't have wifi (Sony, JetBook or ESlick). Works like a champ.

Regards - John
How odd. I purchased the trial copy of Redbook and I can't even get it to show up on my Nook 4 PC program. Even the magazines that I can't download at least show a cover, and that "nuh-uh, no can do" message.

I think the magazines-on-PC functionality they've got right now must be VERY beta:

1. My National Geographic magazines refuse to be loaded to the PC at all.

2. My Taste of Home magazines WILL load to the PC, but it's clear that the PC is displaying the textual (and highly buggy) epub version of the document, not the PDF-image-rich version.

Sorry I wasn't more help.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member

I was wondering if I could talk some kind soul into trying a trial subscription of "Redbook" and see if you can download it to your Color Nook?

With hope - John
Old 06-17-2011, 06:32 PM   #9
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
I was wondering if I could talk some kind soul into trying a trial subscription of "Redbook" and see if you can download it to your Color Nook?

With hope - John
I'll try it when I get home if no one beats me to it.

FWIW, I can't get The New Yorker to download to the Nook app on my rooted NC. I get an 'incompatible format' error.

It's my favorite magazine, too.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:08 PM   #10
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
I'll try it when I get home if no one beats me to it.

FWIW, I can't get The New Yorker to download to the Nook app on my rooted NC. I get an 'incompatible format' error.

It's my favorite magazine, too.
Many thanks. I'm very curious to hear the results. - John
Old 06-18-2011, 12:34 PM   #11
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Many thanks. I'm very curious to hear the results. - John
It downloaded fine - I'm using the Nook app on my rooted NC. A little slow, but no problems.

Redbook has tarted itself up quite a lot since the day I used to read it at the doctor's office while waiting for my mom.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #12
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
It downloaded fine - I'm using the Nook app on my rooted NC. A little slow, but no problems.

Redbook has tarted itself up quite a lot since the day I used to read it at the doctor's office while waiting for my mom.
Hi Kate,

Thanks a lot for the help.

"tarted itself up" - great description! Maybe that's the reason I don't see it on the coffee table anymore.

Regards - John
Old 06-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #13
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have a digital subscription to Home Power magazine, which puts out a high-quality PDF that I can't get to display properly on my iPad (which we don't need to get into here). I sideload it onto my NC's SD card and it displays fine in EZ PDF Reader (though not in QuickOffice's PDF reader). It also runs fine on the NC's built-in PDF reader, though, now that I have 2 other PDF readers, the NC always defaults to the others.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #14
Reena
Reena began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I have a Nook Color and want to subscribe to the New Yorker magazine, but I've been told by B&N that it only works for Nook black and white. Has anyone else run into this? Frustrating! Reena
Reena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:34 PM   #15
tweenymama
tweenymama began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reena View Post
I have a Nook Color and want to subscribe to the New Yorker magazine, but I've been told by B&N that it only works for Nook black and white. Has anyone else run into this? Frustrating! Reena
. . . desperately waiting for this. My whole commute will be improved when they finally provide it. *My* theory is, they (TNY) are waiting to make deals with some advertisers, or are waiting for a new device to launch it. I would be so happy to be proved wrong, though.
tweenymama is offline   Reply With Quote