Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-29-2010, 12:56 AM   #1
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru
tipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-books

Device: 7015A, CM738A, 7015, M150, A7, A32, Next3, PDN 7"/9", GT78, ePad
Thumbs up Coby Kyros Internet Tablet MID7005-4G

This had aired over the weekend on HSN.

Image of the box

Image of the rear of the box

To reviews here

#1 It's Here

#2 Full Review

Video Demo

Last edited by tipstir; 10-29-2010 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Updated Info
tipstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I don't consider a list of specs and 'so far, so good' to constitute a review.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I don't even consider Coby worthy of a review..
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:22 AM   #4
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru
tipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-books

It's a work in progress review I just got the device less than 4 days. I am still testing it out.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:08 AM   #5
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Coby does not exactly inspire quality...hell, I would rate them lower than even Astak and that is saying something.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru

Okay I had this mini review also when I got the device.
HSN Launches Coby Kyros Internet Tablet 7" Android OS 2.1, 800MHz with 1080p HDMI

Old 10-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
Coby does not exactly inspire quality...hell, I would rate them lower than even Astak and that is saying something.
Yes I would agree with you but, the product is not made by them. X5A with just the Coby logo when it boots up. Android OS 2.1 Update 1 build. Runs at 720MHz instead of 800MHz but that's how the TeleChips are even from AuGen Gentouch 78 I did own had same chip but didn't even reach 720MHz only 600MHz. Using the Rooted ROM I did get OC 660MHz.

So this Coby KYROS (aka X5A is made of Glass Layer Touch screen chrome metal and it's heavy) and the leather case is stuck on the back by 4 screws. Speaker is loud an sound excellent.

Last edited by tipstir; 10-30-2010 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Updating Info
Old 10-30-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
bishop793
bishop793 began at the beginning.

Device: none
lol..once again someone putting down "lesser" manufacturers. I'm sure if had an APPLE logo it would more inspiring?
bishop793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:15 PM   #9
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop793 View Post
lol..once again someone putting down "lesser" manufacturers. I'm sure if had an APPLE logo it would more inspiring?
No putting down them, just what I've gone through with them. Apple can't compare that's a iOS based on cell phone as the android OS is too base on cell phone. Android 4.0 (code name ice cream) more aid for tablet market.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:43 PM   #10
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipstir View Post
Yes I would agree with you but, the product is not made by them. X5A with just the Coby logo when it boots up. Android OS 2.1 Update 1 build. Runs at 720MHz instead of 800MHz but that's how the TeleChips are even from AuGen Gentouch 78 I did own had same chip but didn't even reach 720MHz only 600MHz. Using the Rooted ROM I did get OC 660MHz.

So this Coby KYROS (aka X5A is made of Glass Layer Touch screen chrome metal and it's heavy) and the leather case is stuck on the back by 4 screws. Speaker is loud an sound excellent.
A reasonable point...but at the end of the day Coby is a low end electronic device re-brander. Of course all companies, even Amazon have their products produced on an "outsource" basis.

Add to that the fact few people, in the US anyway, have seen Coby products anywhere but low end budget stores. Add to it the customer support and what not. It's a case of they have to prove themselves to me, and likely many others, before any of us would even consider their device as an option, at almost any price. And don't overlook the disaster than was Astak and still is to a significant degree. Jinke made but produced to low end specs.

It is a nicely spec'd device but at the end of the day, there are too many of these clone devices running basically the same hardware...but as we all know the hardware itself can be had at various "grade" levels depending on where a given component fails in the QA/QC testing work flow.

Still, you make a reasonable case for the device...the sooner it gets in the hands of real users here on MR and around the web the sooner people will know one way or another. Once was a time that lesser known brands clamored to get their devices into the hands of reviewers, these days it seems as if they try and avoid that, or there could just be a prejudice view of the brands in the media so they don't want to waste their time on anything which doesn't pull hits on the web to collect the ad impression revenue.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:46 PM   #11
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop793 View Post
how is that a comment conducive to reasonable discourse wrt this device?

In fact if it did say aPpLe on it, it would be an even harder sell to many of us...probably on the overpriced aspect alone.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:31 AM   #12
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
A reasonable point...but at the end of the day Coby is a low end electronic device re-brander. Of course all companies, even Amazon have their products produced on an "outsource" basis.

Add to that the fact few people, in the US anyway, have seen Coby products anywhere but low end budget stores. Add to it the customer support and what not. It's a case of they have to prove themselves to me, and likely many others, before any of us would even consider their device as an option, at almost any price. And don't overlook the disaster than was Astak and still is to a significant degree. Jinke made but produced to low end specs.

It is a nicely spec'd device but at the end of the day, there are too many of these clone devices running basically the same hardware...but as we all know the hardware itself can be had at various "grade" levels depending on where a given component fails in the QA/QC testing work flow.

Still, you make a reasonable case for the device...the sooner it gets in the hands of real users here on MR and around the web the sooner people will know one way or another. Once was a time that lesser known brands clamored to get their devices into the hands of reviewers, these days it seems as if they try and avoid that, or there could just be a prejudice view of the brands in the media so they don't want to waste their time on anything which doesn't pull hits on the web to collect the ad impression revenue.
Well I consider myself a real time user. And I have my doubts about the product the way it's software package with apps and the Android OS 2.1 UI is not what it should be with menus, Fonts, icons are blown-up. Options to change the defaults only have 2 features. Using Launcher Pro to fix the icons column and rows can fix the home-screen but the rest of the OS. I might end up sending it back to HSN and wait it out. One user reported on QVC electronic forum which was weird talking about HSN products on QVC forum. About calling up Colby CS just to learn there wasn't anyone on the other end of the phone. Just a recording saying? Leave your name number and someone would get back to you later. She also stated no one hasn't called her back yet? Are they for real!

This tells me right there Coby hasn't invested enough money into training it's CS stuff for support. I don't see much support on their site either for the product. Like hey just sell it for now and later on we might have support for it. That's how the ones you order from China are. There is not Vendor support. So if it goes it goes! Coby KYROS I'll be calling HSN on Monday to see how long I can kick it around before I send it back and where is the heck is the UPS label to send it back with. I am not paying for returning it!

I've seen Coby products at Frys in the Mall and I see your point. Though they didn't make the product just like AuGen. When it comes to getting support then you see how it is. I had netbook issue with ASUS this year.

Service was excellent and repair replacement of the LCD LED panel was done in a week. I told ASUS CS, listen I repair replace LCD panels in laptops for over 10 years. She told take it to BB and have them look at it then call us back at ASUS with the results. Anyway that never happen, I had them sent me the RMA #. I had to pay out of pocket to send it FedEx to them. But it's fixed and the panel was defective as I told them.

See the full story of ASUS Eee PC Netbook Panel Issue with pictures here

Then I got Maylong M-150 in limbo with UPS going on two weeks and the item hasn't been received yet at UPS hub. I had wanted Walgreen's to cancel the order they told me I couldn't cancel it! I had to receive it then take it to a Walgreen's local to me to return it. I'll never order from online Walgreen's again. Very poor service with CS and Maylong handling the delivery process.

Last edited by tipstir; 10-31-2010 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 11-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #13
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru

Finished the home screen now it looks like that, still have the plastic screen protector on the glass touch layer.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:14 PM   #14
rc748
rc748 began at the beginning.

Device: Coby Kyros MID7015
Case forKyros MID7015 ?

Bought one of these and I think they are pretty good for the money paid (it's not an iPad). I did have a hard time finding a case for it. However, found a small company that makes a pretty good sleeve for this unit and sells them for only $9.95 with free freight at www.nuvo-tek.com.

By the same token, if anyone knows of where I can buy a case (not a sleeve) that is a good fit for the MID7015, please let me know.

Thanks
rc748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:28 PM   #15
63tinman
63tinman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch
I put this on another thread on this forum. I hope someone will find it useful.

Newbie here. Just wanted to let people know that it is possible to run the full Google Market on the Kyros. I am NOT a computer expert, or techie by a loooong shot! But I found this to be a relatively simple hack, and described here:

http://tipstir.the-talk.net/t1077-al...ommands-needed

I think I had to register first to see the post, but it is free. My Kyros is the MID7015, and this worked for me after removing the firmware update I had already installed. These directions would have worked perfectly if I followed them right out of the box without doing the update from Coby. Apparently there are already a couple firmware updates and it depends which one is on your Kyros when you buy it. If you get stuck, just reset the Kyros to the factory setting and try again.

My main eReader is the Sony Touch, and I bought the Sony Pocket Edition for my wife. We love them! I have read more since getting the eReader than I have since my eyes were young enough to read anything below the E on the eye chart. I love being able to enlarge the the text. There are times, though, that I like a lighted screen, and wireless access without dragging my laptop along. The Kyros is filling that bill quite nicely for the $149 price (On sale at my local K-Mart). Android was completely foreign to me two weeks ago, so I am on a learning curve. The whole Android smartphone thing is useless to me as anything small enough to be on a smartphone is useless for my eyes.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the Kyros. My expectations were not high in an iPad sense, but I wouldn't tolerate total trash, either. It's of course not an iPad, but it doesn't come close to an iPad price. The Coby Kyros has definitely exceeded my expectations, however, especially after the rooting and installation of the full Google Market. Not a bad mobile device for the money paid, and a little bit of effort. The included cover is even pretty nice. I fold the cover back and secure the tab in the loop backwards and it serves as a nice stand for desk, table or even lap in landscape mode. I hope this is useful to someone!
63tinman is offline   Reply With Quote