Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 02:16 PM   #1
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
When's the Next Firmware Release???

Hoping one of our regular Kobo staff posters will cruise by and see this thread.

It's been almost 2 months now, I'm itchin' for some new features. Bring it on!

HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
We have a big announcement with a firmware upgrade coming in the next month or so. Hold on tight
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

49 minutes for an answer.

"Next month or so", seems vaguely long to have to wait. I'm ready now!

Old 08-26-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Unfortunately I'm just hear to tease you.

There is at least two extremely popular feature requests that we have implemented and will have in the next update.

In all seriousness, firmware updates need A LOT of testing, especially compared to software apps on other platforms. If we could do them faster, we would!
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
HamsterRage
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post

There is at least two extremely popular feature requests that we have implemented and will have in the next update.

In all seriousness, firmware updates need A LOT of testing, especially compared to software apps on other platforms. If we could do them faster, we would!
I know. I build software for a living.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
Flyingpig
Flyingpig began at the beginning.

Quote:

Let me guess, PDF reflow should be one of them. And, I am expecting external fonts for epubs as well.
Flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:29 PM   #7
Ghoda
Enthusiast
Ghoda is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo, Kobo for iPhone, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingpig View Post
Let me guess, PDF reflow should be one of them. And, I am expecting external fonts for epubs as well.
And here I was thinking it will be adjustable margins and book covers at power-down
Ghoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #8
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

I remember when Kobo teased us with that newspaper thing a few months ago. "vague" is very clever.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:28 PM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Sameer said, at one point, that they had hoped to get PDF reflow into 1.4, but ran into glitches, so I am guessing that is one of them. If I were a betting kinda gal, I'd look for a fix for the whole I'm reading sync issue, but who knows?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:56 PM   #10
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Quote:

Are you counting the previously announced return of the covers in those two?

I'm sure we all understand that you need to do the testing on the firmware, I'm sure no one on this forum would like a bricked kobo. I think its just that we had the big "rush of news" previously, then some "in the next firmware" news and then silence.

BTW: I was wondering when the next update would be too, I'm hanging for my covers to return.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:28 PM   #11
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

I don't care about covers. It is the content of a book that interests me. I rarely sit and look at covers.

I am also ok with the 'I'm reading' bit now that I stay away from kobo.com library and the app. I will either finish a book (which removes it) or if I know I won't finish I will remove it using ADE.

I would like to see faster loading once I am ready to read.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:07 AM   #12
videomilk
videomilk began at the beginning.

Quote:
We have a big announcement with a firmware upgrade coming in the next month or so. Hold on tight
Hi, Can you tell us if the page turning speed it being worked on. I just used a friends kindle 3 and the speed difference is very very noticable. Thanks
videomilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #13
jonnybraga
jonnybraga began at the beginning.

reading while charging!!!
jonnybraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:38 PM   #14
Deerslayer
Deerslayer began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Ditching the Quotes

I sure do hope they get rid of those quotes. Somewhere, there was a suggestion that they are actually imbedded in (firmware?). Tell me it ain't so ... please!

Those of us who made a living taming computers learned many decades ago that you never mix data with code. Let alone having that "data" be some Developer's or Manager's idea of what is sage, witty or whatever ...

I really do like my Kobo. The annoyance of the quotes is one of my few gripes. I appreciate the effort that goes into trying to get software to work, and to keep improving it, while trying to satisfy every customer. Keep up the good work, folks!
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:40 PM   #15
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS650
If one of the features is 'removing the auto power off' then I'm all for it. The Kobo is the only device I've ever owned that does it. If it booted in 5 seconds I wouldn't mind so much, but as it is it boots slower than my bloody computer...

Adding new features when the core booklike experience is so badly compromised by dodgy power management workarounds and poor boot performance will probably leave quite a few of us unimpressed.
tpw is offline   Reply With Quote