Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-29-2009, 07:41 AM   #1
klrodrigues
klrodrigues began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
connecting to PC

Hey guys... I've had my K2 for about a week & went to connect it to my PC & a screensaver came on & said to eject the Kindle from the computer to use...

Please tell me what that means... or how I can get connected to transfer files since I can't figure out how to get this screen off...
I've tried searching th eUser's guide but didn't get any help from it. Thanks

(feeling like a real nOOb now)
klrodrigues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:14 AM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Firstly, don't feel bad; the screen has confused several people.

The Kindle has two modes: regular reading mode, and USB drive mode. When in the former, it can use it to do regular stuff; when in the latter, it can only transfer files to and from your PC.

When you plug your Kindle into your PC, it is *normal* for that screen to come up. Don't worry about it. Go to My Computer on your PC and you should see a new disk drive for your Kindle. Open it and you will see several folders. You can drag and drop files and books (TXT, MOBI, PRC) from your computer into the documents folder. Music you put in the music folder, Audiobooks in that folder, etc.

After you're done copying the files to your Kindle, you can disconnect it. There should be a safely remove hardware icon in the bar in the bottom right of your taskbar, or you can right-click on the Kindle disk drive in My Computer and select Eject. Or you can just wait a minute or two and then just pull the USB cord out. After you do this, that screen on the Kindle will go away and in a few seconds it will load the new books you just added to the device. Then you can use your Kindle again.

The screen means exactly what it says: when it's connected via USB to transfer files, you can't read books on it; after you're done transferring files, you have to disconnect it to read books again.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
klrodrigues
klrodrigues began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
*sigh... thank you so much! I was worried my K2 was defective. I truly appreciate the help SirBruce... I am not technically inclined at all so that part of the K is a bit much for me to digest
I guess that explains why I buy so many books instead...
klrodrigues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
No problem. If you haven't yet, you should read the Kindle 2 User's Guide on your Kindle; it explains all this stuff and more fairly clearly. Amazon doesn't require you to know too much on the technical side; the Kindle 2 is very intuitive.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Just play around with it at first, and then look for the manual.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert