Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #16
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I downloaded the trial version of OneNote 2010 from microsoft, played with it for a few hours and have fallen in love with it. I like the way it opens with the ribbon collapsed; I found I only needed to uncollapse it when using styles (to see if I could create an outline: it's much less efficient at this than Word, which adds the styles automatically in Outline view).

The only issue I had was with the download. I have an ancient, but decent, Word 2002 on my pc. The installation process detected this and told me there was an incompatibility problem. My Windows 7 is 64 bit; so I naturally downloaded the OneNote version 64 bit but because of the old Word, I had the choice of using the 32 bit version of OneNote, or removing the 32 bit Office component (Word). Naturally, as Word is the program I'd least want to lose, I downloaded the 32 bit OneNote.

The point of this is: I want to purchase OneNote 2010 from Amazon (they sell it themselves) in order to have the disc at a reasonable price, in case I need to reinstall it. But how do I tell if what I'm buying is 64 bit or 32 bit? Please help.

Also, when I install the disc, (and the trial runs out), will it delete everything I've put into the trial version of the program? I'm trying to avoid putting anything original in the trial version, just in case.

As I've said, I'm a technological ignoramus and need the help of more experienced and knowledgeable peeps.

Thanks so much for all the help so far, and in advance.

Last edited by BookCat; 11-18-2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: the previous version didn't make sense!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #17
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
First, your files are stored in your mydocuments folder. I doubt they'll get wiped out when you install the full deal, but you can copy the whole folder elsewhere and then copy it back into place after the install and onenote will see those and import them.

Second, my instinct is that the commercial dvd will contain both the 64 and 32 bit installer. I'm doing some googling to confirm that, and I'll let you know if I do.

Edit:
Okay this implies (at the very bottom) that the general office disc contains both installers on the same disk, and would make sense that the onenote disc would be the same. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...010369476.aspx

But my recommendation for full peace of mind is to query the Microsoft Answers forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/onenote

Last edited by Marseille; 11-18-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #18
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
As an alternative, you might want to look at Evernote. Powerful and free and I personally like it better than OneNote.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #19
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
You mean there is a free version of Evernote. If you want similar power to OneNote you need to pony up for the Premium version. I've tried both over the years. Maybe I'm due to try Evernote again but I found OneNote to be more powerful for collecting, organizing, and formatting my notes.

I do believe Microsoft intentionally cripples OneNote slightly to avoid stepping on Word's toes. Someday we might see them more formally integrated. Their current Skydrive multi-user synchronization works quite well, though we only tried it out to see how it works. I'm more a solo user.

Last edited by Penforhire; 11-19-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #20
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
If you're a OneNote fan and have an iPad, you should check out Outline+. it's a fantastic app for syncing OneNote docs to your iPad.

If the OP is still looking to buy a copy of ON2007, PM me. I bought it standalone, but now I have a version of Office 2010 with OneNote included and no longer have the 2007 version installed anywhere.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #21
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the info about the 32 and 64 bit versions, it seems like the dvd gives the option of either.

Before I install the dvd, I'll copy the notebooks onto an external hard drive so that I can reinstall them if necessary. Thanks for the information.

MeSue, thanks for giving me first refusal on your OneNote 2007, I've changed my mind and now prefer the 2010 version.

The main drawback of Evernote is that the information is held in the cloud, not on my hard drive. I think this means that I can't use the software offline. There are many times when I prefer to unplug the internet to avoid the temptation to go onto youtube, or check email etc. Also, I don't trust the cloud and the security of information held there. Some people like Evernote; I'd prefer OneNote. I love the intuitive interface, it reminds me of all those folders I used many years ago at uni, with their card dividers.

So I'll be purchasing the 2010 version from Amazon itself. I'll just do a quick google to check whether the only difference between the Student and Home versions and the Standard version, is the license; or if the software is in some way different. The S&H version is £20 cheaper

Thanks everyone for all the help. I'm sure others interested in OneNote have found it useful too.

Last edited by BookCat; 11-19-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #22
BookCat
C L J

Just in case anyone else is interested, I contacted Amazon; after a day or so they got back to me with the info that the disc definitely has both the 32 and 64 bit versions.

Tags
find, legitimate, onenote