Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
Berzelius
Connoisseur
Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle Paperwhite 2 & Sony PRS-T1
Is it possible to collapse "levels" in a TOC on a Kindle book

I'm not sure of the correct terminology, but here goes.

In Sigil I produced, in a book, a TOC with sub-levels by using Heading 1 for the title, Heading 2 for the Section names and Heading 3 for the Chapter names. I then used Calibre to convert the epub file to mobi.

Opening the mobi file in Calibre I can collapse and expand the various levels, that is I can show only the top level, the title, or the next level, the Section names, or the lowest level, the Chapter names.

When I export the mobi file to my Kindle I am stuck with the TOC fully expanded. Is it possible to collapse the various levels in the same way as when the document is opened in Calibre?
Berzelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I doubt it. I built my first book, a guide to reading ballistic forensic evidence, with a two-tiered TOC the same way you are describing (with Sigil). On Calibre you can "tier" the TOC up and down but on the Kindle 3 –it shows all the levels and it doesn't appear there is anyway to toggle the level up or down. Curiously on the Kindle for Mac, only the first level shows in the TOC with no way to fully open the TOC. On my iPod, all levels show on the Kindle for iPhone with no apparent way to compress it. I think it's a software issue on the device.
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
I think it's a software issue on the device.
Certainly. And on Touch they are collapsed
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
Berzelius
Connoisseur
Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle Paperwhite 2 & Sony PRS-T1
Thanks for the replies.
Berzelius is offline   Reply With Quote