Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
RChadwick
RChadwick began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Getting books off the PRS-500

I have an un-upgraded PRS-500, and I'm trying to get my ebooks off my device. I abandoned using it a few years ago when switching to a 64-bit operating system, and no longer have the computer I installed the books from. None are protected, mostly PDF and DOC files. I installed Calibre 0.6.55, and tried saving ebooks to disk, but they would not show up in the directory. I tried the Sony software, but there was only a choice to copy, but no chance to paste anywhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
RChadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
Scott_T
Groupie
Scott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500, Reb1100(dead)
its been a long time since I used the sony software... hmmm, how about putting in a flash card and moving the files to it then copying off that?
Scott_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
RChadwick

That would work for me! But how do I copy them to a card? I looked all around the menus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_T View Post
its been a long time since I used the sony software... hmmm, how about putting in a flash card and moving the files to it then copying off that?
Old 08-30-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by RChadwick View Post
That would work for me! But how do I copy them to a card? I looked all around the menus.
Assuming you use a PC, plug it into the PC then use Explore to copy from the mounted 505 to somewhere on your disk... 505 should show up as a removable drive...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
RChadwick

That would be great if I had a 505, or an upgraded 500. Unfortunately, I have the 500.
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
Scott_T
Groupie
Scott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500, Reb1100(dead)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RChadwick View Post
Like I said, its been a while but I think the internal and card memories are listed seperately, can you drag and drop from one to the other?
Scott_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:09 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To get any content off of an un-upgraded 500, you'll need to install Reader Library on a 32-bit Windows system. There is no 64-bit support as the driver needed for the 500 is 32-bit only.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-30-2010 at 08:40 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:53 PM   #8
RChadwick

I know, that is why I abandoned it a while ago. Right now, I'm running the Sony software, and Calibre, in a 32-bit virtual machine. I can see the books on the reader, but I can't copy them to anywhere. The option to paste is greyed out, and the copy function in Calibre simply didn't work.

I put an SD card in the reader, and I can see it from the Sony software, but can't do much with it. I even told it to 'Sync' the books (Assuming it would copy them to the computer), but that didn't work either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To get any content off of an un-upgraded 500, you'll need to install Reader Library on a 32-bit Windows system. There is no 64-bit support as the driver needed for the 500 is 32-bit only.