Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-11-2007, 03:04 PM   #136
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
What else would it be? They have Mobi.
I'm with you on their getting stuffed with their own DRM...
Maybe they bought Mobipocket for the content and planed all along to convert the content into their Kindle Editions which is a different DRM. You never know. But to be honest, I think if Amazon does their own DRM, then this will be the last new DRM scheme that will work other then Digital Editions. Amazon is big enough to pull it off. Small companies won't be able to do it. Hear that Jinke and your WOL format?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:07 PM   #137
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
Right, and it's supposed to be chock full of features the other readers don't have, like a tiny keyboard and wireless to link up to a book site, something Amazon has not said much about yet.
Sounds interesting.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2007, 03:34 PM   #138
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilbeginnings View Post
Sounds interesting.
Well yeah! That's what this commotion is all about. Go see the other threads about it. Alex is supposed to go to a book fair saturday where there'll be seminars by Amazon. Fingers crossed! Apparently a launch is due on the 15th.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:56 PM   #139
fishcube
Connoisseur
fishcube began at the beginning.

Device: Archos 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing View Post
Here is a protection tip if you travel.

Wallmart sells a mp3 accessory bag that will take the reader with its std case still attached. It give a bit more protection on the sides and has a small cloth hook. Its about 10 dollars. I think with work. It could be reinforced to protect the screen. But worked ok as is.

It sits inside with a zipper lide that not around the edge but the edge of the bag.

Just bounced my reader from west to east coast and back. No problems. And is NOT affected by the scanners. Used that bag and just dropped in my carry on stuff!

This thing is the greatest! Sat 4 hours waiting early Friday morning at the Savanna airport to open. Felt like 1/2 hour wait with the reader!

So, do you still like this case for the Sony Reader? I'm debating on a case, and likethe looks of the case logic. I would like to have something that I can slip the Sony reader in cover into.
fishcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:09 PM   #140
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
What else would it be? They have Mobi.
I'm with you on their getting stuffed with their own DRM...
The problem they have is that if they use MobiPocket DRM, it will put a floor on their pricing. They will either have to keep their prices high (like the MobiPocket store) or lose the MobiPocket dealer network by competing unfairly with them.

The only way around that would be if the Amazon site could only deliver directly to the Kindle device. That way they could justifiably claim not to be competing with MobiPocket's dealers.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2007, 11:03 AM   #141
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
The only way around that would be if the Amazon site could only deliver directly to the Kindle device.
I've pretty much assumed that they would do that all along: an "if you want our e-books, and the convenience that goes with them, you'll have to use our hardware," kind of thing.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:19 PM   #142
FangornUK
Addict
FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, Kindle 3
New with version 2.0 "eBook Library" software; you can now drag and drop a file/book directly from a drive (like C) to the Sony Reader, without having to put the ebook/file into your library.

Last edited by FangornUK; 10-23-2007 at 04:38 PM.
FangornUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:37 PM   #143
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You could do that with the old version too, it just wasn't very obvious that you could.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:45 PM   #144
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
You could do that with the old version too, it just wasn't very obvious that you could.
It was obvious to me. I did it all the time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:46 PM   #145
FangornUK
Addict
FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, Kindle 3
Never worked for me in the previous version.
FangornUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:10 PM   #146
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FangornUK View Post
New with version 2.0 "eBook Library" software; you can now drag and drop a file/book directly from a drive (like C) to the Sony Reader, without having to put the ebook/file into your library.
You mean without Connect?

Now the reader can show up as a USB mass storage I think.

Before, the reader did not show up without Connect opened.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:10 PM   #147
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It was obvious to me. I did it all the time.
I meant that finding it wasn't obvious -- I used it too in the old one too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FangornUK View Post
Never worked for me in the previous version.
That's odd. I dunno what to tell you.

At least it works now!
Old 11-21-2007, 06:09 PM   #148
Andy Baird
Andy Baird began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
One thing I don't like about either the PRS-500 or the PRS-505 Reader is the small size of the next page/previous page buttons, and the fact that they are nearly flush with the case. Kindle's user interface is something of a mess, but one thing they got right was the large page-turn duttons on both edges.

There's no way to retrofit large buttons to the Sony readers, but the existing buttons can at least be made "feelable," so that you can locate them by touch. Just mix up a small amount of epoxy cement, then use a toothpick to apply very small amounts to the key buttons... until you've built up a tiny, glossy bump on each button.

It's a small thing, but I find that being able to easily locate the buttons by feel makes turning the page just a little easier, as a bonus... and because of the epoxy bumps, you don't have to push as hard. And it looks as good as if the manufacturer had designed it that way! :-)

Andy Baird
http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 11:58 AM   #149
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Baird View Post
One thing I don't like about either the PRS-500 or the PRS-505 Reader is the small size of the next page/previous page buttons, and the fact that they are nearly flush with the case. Kindle's user interface is something of a mess, but one thing they got right was the large page-turn duttons on both edges.

There's no way to retrofit large buttons to the Sony readers, but the existing buttons can at least be made "feelable," so that you can locate them by touch. Just mix up a small amount of epoxy cement, then use a toothpick to apply very small amounts to the key buttons... until you've built up a tiny, glossy bump on each button.

It's a small thing, but I find that being able to easily locate the buttons by feel makes turning the page just a little easier, as a bonus... and because of the epoxy bumps, you don't have to push as hard. And it looks as good as if the manufacturer had designed it that way! :-)

Andy Baird
http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
If you can't feel those tiny buttons your girlfriend must be very lonely!
Old 11-23-2007, 04:16 AM   #150
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
If you can't feel those tiny buttons your girlfriend must be very lonely!
astra is offline   Reply With Quote