Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 03-11-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
hypronost
hypronost began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin ereader
Hanlin file support and handling. (CHM & DjVu)

Hello,

I'm looking into buying an ebook reader and am still struggling between a few brands.
The most important issue for me is file support and how it handles them.
The hanlin seems to support the widest range of files. Especially the DjVu and CHM file support has my attention. I've got a bunch of CHM's and converting them is a real pain.
I was wondering if anyone here has had extensive experience using these file types on the Hanlin and if the Hanlin handles them well.

Additionally, does the Hanlin support folder structures or does the Hanlin display "all" your files in it's root.

Thanks in advance for the help.
hypronost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
iterati
Zealot
iterati doesn't litteriterati doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, RCA REB1100, iPaq 214
First, I think that such a reader is worth if you read fiction.

chm support is quite advanced and good. The problem with djvu is similar to that one with pdf, it isn't text format really but images.

V3 supports folders.
iterati is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypronost View Post
Hello,

Additionally, does the Hanlin support folder structures or does the Hanlin display "all" your files in it's root.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Hanlin shows all folders by name in a given directory (except System folders). It shows all files that it recognizes in the current folder. There are some special folders like the recently visited folder that it fakes. Container files (like zip) are also treated as folders. You must traverse the folders one at a time and you must retrace your steps to get back to the top.

Container folders are not as good as regular folders in that book marks and other features are not maintained for files inside a container folder. This should be improved.

A menu item (not a folder) is used to traverse from the internal memory to the SD card. This is good, once you know about it, since you can jump to the other block of memory without having to traverse the hierarchy.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
hypronost
hypronost began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin ereader
Thanks for the responds.
The Hanlin does seem like the best device for me. Although I'll probably wait a little for the Bebook v2.

Thanks for answering my questions.
hypronost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:56 PM   #5
iterati
Zealot
iterati doesn't litteriterati doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, RCA REB1100, iPaq 214
Note, that if you'd like some folders not showing then mark them as hidden, folders like crengine, fonts, dict etc.

The new Bebook is the new Hanlin, I assume. I hope they won't sacrifice energy efficiency for touchscreen or wireless(!?), but it looks worth for the extra keys if nothing else. I want bigger keys and to both sides
iterati is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2009, 01:15 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by iterati View Post
Note, that if you'd like some folders not showing then mark them as hidden, folders like crengine, fonts, dict etc.

The new Bebook is the new Hanlin, I assume. I hope they won't sacrifice energy efficiency for touchscreen or wireless(!?), but it looks worth for the extra keys if nothing else. I want bigger keys and to both sides
Yes, the new Bebook is the new Hanlin which is the new Astak EZ Reader, etc, etc. I think it will be a winner.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
tigran
Zealot
tigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Aura One,HD,H2O,Touch,Mini,Kindle 3+DXG,Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypronost View Post
Especially the DjVu and CHM file support has my attention. I've got a bunch of CHM's and converting them is a real pain.
I was wondering if anyone here has had extensive experience using these file types on the Hanlin and if the Hanlin handles them well.

CHM support is not very good but DjVu support _now_ (i.e. as of yesterday when I released my libdjvu DjVu viewer for Hanlin V3) is quite good. You can zoom to any level and pan around the page in both portrait and landscape mode. Try it and see for yourself (if you have bought a Hanlin V3 already). The V3update.bin image containing it is here:

http://www.bibles.org.uk/hanlin-v3-firmware.zip

and the source code of libdjvu as well as precompiled i386 and arm binaries (if you want to build your own firmware image) are on my webpage http://www.bibles.org.uk

And yes, Hanlin V3 supports proper hierarchical directory browsing. I agree that it is _extremely_ important to have this (hence I consider Sony PRS-505 to be unusable as it takes 15 minutes to startup even on a moderate collection of 5000 books whilst Hanlin V3 takes 3 seconds to startup (even these 3 seconds I am trying to shave down to 1-1.5 seconds

As for my djvu viewer implementation --- I am currently adding some more cool features (like page cache, asynchronous pre-reading of pages while you are reading the current one etc etc)
tigran is offline   Reply With Quote