Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 08:32 AM   #61
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
It is not only a passing of one man, it is the end of era. The pioneering era, when giants shaped the landscape of technology.

The final dot was connected, and we are all worse for it.

Rest in peace, Mr. Jobs.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #62
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
He was such a genius, and a game-changer for the industry. Its a shame he had to die so young.

RIP, Steve. Your legacy speaks for itself.
Advert
Old 10-06-2011, 09:07 AM   #63
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
The best take I ever read on Steve Jobs is that he was an artist in a business environment. He had the focus, intensity, and aesthetic vision that great creative artists have. But he expressed all this in the context of computers and digital products rather than theatre, painting, music, or the other fields more easily associated with artistic people.

He also had an executive style which I have tried to emulate, as best I can in a bureaucratic government environment. Basically, when he found someone who knew how to do something, he helped them do it. He did not have to be the smartest person in the room, and I think he was very happy any time he wasn't - which probably was more often than people might give him credit for.

He certainly made life more fun for the Rest of Us.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #64
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel1626 View Post
He was such a genius, and a game-changer for the industry. Its a shame he had to die so young.

RIP, Steve. Your legacy speaks for itself.
Agreed. It is a sad day for Apple fans.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #65
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Does that now mean that there's a market for e-books now?
Advert
Old 10-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #66
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Where the 'ell's that negative Karma Button???
Old 10-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #67
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
Steve Jobs was a true modern innovator and pioneer. Whether you were or weren't into Apple products, there was very little that could be said negatively about Steve. RIP.
Perfectly stated. All I can say is... ditto to the above!

BOb
Old 10-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #68
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Agreed. It is a sad day for Apple fans.
Much more than that. I'm no fan of Apple but I do admire Jobs and what he did for the industry and the world.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #69
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Where the 'ell's that negative Karma Button???
Kenny, in the end I measure a man in full, not just the good parts.

I played on my first Personal Computer in Dec 1977. I have watched the entire Steve Jobs arc (in real time). (I'm about 18 months younger that Jobs was.)

In viewing the whole picture, I'm much less impressed the you seem to be.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #70
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Kenny, in the end I measure a man in full, not just the good parts.

I played on my first Personal Computer in Dec 1977. I have watched the entire Steve Jobs arc (in real time). (I'm about 18 months younger that Jobs was.)

In viewing the whole picture, I'm much less impressed the you seem to be.
Ralph,

No matter what your personal feelings might be about Mr. Jobs, he has been one of the most influential figures in the computer industry, and, with products like the iPod and iPad, has transformed the lives of millions. I am saddened that all you can find it within yourself to say about his death is "Does that now mean that there's a market for e-books now?" His life's achievements should mean more than that - even to you.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:31 AM   #71
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Ralph,

No matter what your personal feelings might be about Mr. Jobs, he has been one of the most influential figures in the computer industry, and, with products like the iPod and iPad, has transformed the lives of millions. I am saddened that all you can find it within yourself to say about his death is "Does that now mean that there's a market for e-books now?" His life's achievements should mean more than that - even to you.
Hear! Hear!

this is IEEE Spectrum's assessment of what we can learn from him:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/h...ampaign=100611
Old 10-06-2011, 11:36 AM   #72
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Ralph,

No matter what your personal feelings might be about Mr. Jobs, he has been one of the most influential figures in the computer industry, and, with products like the iPod and iPad, has transformed the lives of millions.
That's partially true because it took teamwork for Apple to achieve what it did and not just the work of any single individual.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:37 AM   #73
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I was surprised at how much the news depressed me even though it was expected. As a photographer I have relied on his products for years. His company supplied not just tools for me but tools that excited me.

Tonight I will read the Heart Sutra in my meditation room in his memory.
May he be happy
May he be free from suffering.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #74
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
Steve Jobs was a true modern innovator and pioneer. Whether you were or weren't into Apple products, there was very little that could be said negatively about Steve. RIP.
I agree.

Rest in peace Jobs
Old 10-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #75
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
That's partially true because it took teamwork for Apple to achieve what it did and not just the work of any single individual.
This is of course true, but I would question whether those products would have existed without Mr. Jobs's visionary leadership at the helm of the company.
Closed Thread