Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-27-2008, 05:35 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Wifi on the 505 - SDIO or Memory Stick?

I was in my favorite electronics store the other day, and I noticed the PRS-505 with its two card slots. It occurred to me that Sony might have added the second slot with the intention of adding a Wifi card upgrade some time in the future.

A question for our hackers:

If Sony is going to add Wifi, which slot do you think it will be? Is there any chance the hardware would support the equivalent of SDIO for the Memory Stick?

I think it will most likely be an SD card. If you also think this, then do you think a new 505 owner should plan for the upgrade by buying a Memory Stick for expansion instead of SD?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
We discussed some of this before.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25287
But if they come out with a WiFi-enabled model, I'm pretty sure it'll be built in, not SDIO.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
We discussed some of this before.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25287
But if they come out with a WiFi-enabled model, I'm pretty sure it'll be built in, not SDIO.
Thanks. I had vaguely forgotten that thread.

But why have 2 slots if not for SDIO Wifi? Can't be for extra storage.

Also, there is no cover on the slots. I would say they are expecting to have a card sticking out.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Second slot is for MemorySticks.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:55 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Second slot is for MemorySticks.
Thank you for telling me. I'm too stupid to figure that out on my own.

Oh, wait. Yes I did. Look at my first post.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:50 PM   #6
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Thank you for telling me. I'm too stupid to figure that out on my own.

Oh, wait. Yes I did. Look at my first post.
Then why are you asking? 2 slots, 2 formats. Sony's Memory Stick format (which they had to include), plus they gave people a break by including an SD slot.

Oh yeah--there's no cover for the slots because they gave us those plastic dummy cards to protect the contacts.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:15 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Then why are you asking? 2 slots, 2 formats. Sony's Memory Stick format (which they had to include), plus they gave people a break by including an SD slot.

Oh yeah--there's no cover for the slots because they gave us those plastic dummy cards to protect the contacts.
I wanted to find out if anyone knew of an equivalent to SDIO for the Memory Stick. In retrospect, I don't think this is something we will know until Sony releases it (if and when they do).
Old 07-27-2008, 11:11 PM   #8
SeaWolf
Connoisseur
SeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Kindle Paperwhite WiFi
Those things need drivers as well, there'd have to be another firmware release with the drivers in it for it to work.
I'm kind of lukewarm about Wifi support. I can understand why people want it (for RSS feeds etc.) but I sort of feel that there's just no need to urgently hop on to a wireless network and get more books. I mean, given the vast storage capacity available and the time it takes to read a sizeable novel I just can't imagine the urgent need to get more content.
SeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:30 AM   #9
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Even if the controller supports SDIO, you would still need a firmware update with drivers and a way to interact with the wireless. It would also need some kind of input device hack to enter WEP/WPA keys. I don't see it happening.

My thinking is Sony is sticking with its Memory Stick fetish as they have done all these years, and added SD support to appeal to a wider range of people. SD and memory stick card slots are seldom fitted with a cover, usually they just stick in a dummy (which is exactly how I got my 505, with 2 dummy sticks). Or possibly they wanted you to have the books in the memory stick slot, and you can quickly and conveniently slot in an SD card with pictures from a camera or something.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:43 AM   #10
jakewastaken
Media Whore.
jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
Even if the controller supports SDIO, you would still need a firmware update with drivers and a way to interact with the wireless. It would also need some kind of input device hack to enter WEP/WPA keys. I don't see it happening.

My thinking is Sony is sticking with its Memory Stick fetish as they have done all these years, and added SD support to appeal to a wider range of people. SD and memory stick card slots are seldom fitted with a cover, usually they just stick in a dummy (which is exactly how I got my 505, with 2 dummy sticks). Or possibly they wanted you to have the books in the memory stick slot, and you can quickly and conveniently slot in an SD card with pictures from a camera or something.
Well so far as the input device hack goes, I don't think that would be all that necessary. The dictionary app (I believe) lets people input letters by using the existing buttons. Also I'd be totally cool if it only worked on open networks. There are enough of them out there that typing in a new key all the time wouldn't even be worth it. If it was a home situation where youd like to still have encryption you could probably type it and sync it from the pc.
jakewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:33 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
But why have 2 slots if not for SDIO Wifi? Can't be for extra storage.
Sony have a habit of making devices with a memory stick slot plus something more "standard". Eg, several of Sony's digital cameras have both a memory stick and a CF card slot. I suspect it's simply a pragmatic approach - they feel obliged to include a memory stick slot because they invented that memory format, but realise that more people are likely to buy a device which also supports the far more popular SD or CF format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:40 AM   #12
thebrave
Enthusiast
thebrave doesn't litterthebrave doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505, iPhone, Nokia N800
There were Wifi memorysticks. (And prototypes of cameras, gps...)

If the PRS firmware was more open, I think a bluetooth connection would be more useful. It would be able to download books within RSS feeds. I'm not always home but I always have my phone with me.
thebrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:42 AM   #13
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakewastaken View Post
Well so far as the input device hack goes, I don't think that would be all that necessary. The dictionary app (I believe) lets people input letters by using the existing buttons.
Yes, that would qualify as an input device hack - that is, using the buttons for something they were not originally intended for

Hacks don't have to be hardware-based.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:52 AM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrave View Post
There were Wifi memorysticks. (And prototypes of cameras, gps...)

If the PRS firmware was more open, I think a bluetooth connection would be more useful. It would be able to download books within RSS feeds. I'm not always home but I always have my phone with me.
Now that was the answer I was looking for. Thank you.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:31 AM   #15
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover

Quote:
Now that was the answer I was looking for. Thank you.
I think that poster is confusing SDIO SD cards with memory sticks.

SDIO can do other things besides store data:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card#SDIO

the whole memory stick pro thing is ONLY about storage.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_stick_pro