Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #1
Carpethead
Carpethead began at the beginning.

Device: none
Did I make a mistake buying this?

Hey all, I have a dilemma.

I bought the PRS 505 thinking it'd be great. No more piles of books around the house etc etc.

I'm a big Sc-fi and Fantasy fan. Searching around some of the ebook retailers out there, I'm having the hardest time finding almost ALL of my fav. authors! Even new authors that I want to try out. Nothing... I'm getting very frustrated.

Has anyone else been experiencing the same lack of content?

Please advise.
Carpethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Where are you looking for books?

If you are looking for Sci-fi and fantasy check out Baen. For an up-to-date list of ebook stores check the wiki at the top of this page.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can you name some authors you're looking for? I have a Kindle and haven't had any problems finding my fave authors; I don't believe the offerings for the Sony and the Kindle are that different. Maybe we can help you out if you give us some names.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
Carpethead

Been looking at Fictionwise, Sony store, and Baen.

to give an example, here are some authors I can't find anything on/very little.

Joe Abercrombie
Kay Kenyon
Chris Wooding
Steven Erikson
Ian M. Banks
Tom Lloyd
R. Scott Bakker
David Edelman
Jasper Kent

Old 05-02-2009, 09:33 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hi carpethead, and welcome to the forum.

finding content can be tricky if you're looking for specific authors who aren't available in ebooks (sadly, this is still true for quite a lot of them). some people go so far as to scan their paper books and make their own ebooks to get around this problem.

the good news is, i think science fiction and fantasy are perhaps the best represented genres currently in ebooks. if you're open to discovering new authors you should find plenty to read.

i recommend you start at baen books : they have a free library where you can try out their authors, and they sell their books for really reasonable prices and with no drm via their webscriptions site (take a look at the monthly bundles ; i think someone said they bring the price per book down to something like 3$).

also take a look at fictionwise.com and booksonboard.com.

there is also more free stuff available than you could possibly read in your lifetime from a variety of sources, starting right here : take a look at our free ebooks (click on the ebooks link in the blue navigation bar at the top of the page) made by our members. another excellent place is feedbooks.com ; free public domain and creative commons works including by contemporary authors (and some of our own members ! like PJ Lyon, better known as moejoe around here). and as already mentioned, our wiki lists a lot of great places to find books.

and take a look in the reading recommendations forum for more advice about authors to try. you can look at the ongoing science fiction recommendations threads or start your own ; list a few authors you like and see what people come up with. a lot of members here love science fiction and can give you plenty of titles and authors to try out.

more and more authors are making their works available digitally but admittedly it's still a slow process, but i think once you find a few good sites you'll find plenty to interest you. and you'll soon find ebooks quite addictive, for many reasons.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2009, 09:42 PM   #6
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Iain M Banks' work is available as ebooks on Waterstone's site:

http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...=&pageNumber=0

I don't know about any of the others you mentioned, but I have that bookmarked as I plan to get them at some point
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:44 PM   #7
Carpethead

Well, I'm fairly particular about what I read. Most books I read are recommended by blogs like http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/

zelda_pinwheel - I do appreciate the reply, but as I said, very fussy about what I read. I'm thinking if I can't find what I want to read, I may just have to take back my reader.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:54 PM   #8
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The only promising thing I found is that some of Joe Abercrombie's works will be released as ebooks in June this year (according to publisher website); I couldn't figure out what file type.

Kenyon has 2 books available in Kindle format; Banks has several available in Kindle.

If you have particular authors you know you want to read exclusively, you might want to check out the ebook store offerings before purchasing a reader.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:58 PM   #9
Carpethead

I've already bought the PRS-505. I live in Canada, Kindle is not an option for me.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:06 PM   #10
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
The only promising thing I found is that some of Joe Abercrombie's works will be released as ebooks in June this year (according to publisher website); I couldn't figure out what file type.

Kenyon has 2 books available in Kindle format; Banks has several available in Kindle.

If you have particular authors you know you want to read exclusively, you might want to check out the ebook store offerings before purchasing a reader.
All of Banks' stuff is available in epub format.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:08 PM   #11
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpethead View Post
I've already bought the PRS-505. I live in Canada, Kindle is not an option for me.
If an author is not available in your ebook format, have you tried contacting them with the request that you would like their books in ebook format (let them know that you have a Sony not a Kindle)?

I checked your first author, Joe A., and on his website he lists a couple of forums he uses. I read through the second forum site listed and he comments quite frequently there. Why don't you bring up the question on ebook format for the Sony there too? I saw one posted reply by someone who had a Sony 505.

Authors would probably like to know about additional ways to make sales Maybe refer him to this site where he can learn about the various readers and their formats in addition to producing ebooks
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:37 AM   #12
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Hi carpethead
nobody has mentioned the Hal Spacejock series. If you have not read them it is well worth a look.

The first in the series is a free download here

http://www.spacejock.com.au/Hal1Download.html
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:16 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpethead View Post
Been looking at Fictionwise, Sony store, and Baen.

to give an example, here are some authors I can't find anything on/very little.

Joe Abercrombie
Kay Kenyon
Chris Wooding
Steven Erikson
Ian M. Banks
Tom Lloyd
R. Scott Bakker
David Edelman
Jasper Kent

I feel for you.
There is only one place where you can find the books. The darkside. Don't let stupid publishers to stop you from enjoying Sony Reader.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #14
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There are a few titles from your authors at WHSmith. I prefer them to Waterstone's, but you need to include one or the other in your search to get UK releases. I have a feeling that some of your authors are better known in the UK, and the UK is behind in ebooks but catching up.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:33 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Here is a couple of Kay Kenyon ebooks from BooksOnBoard in ePub.

http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...H=Kay%20Kenyon
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote