Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-08-2008, 03:32 AM   #16
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad
Also, a further note. The file is .epub and just to test, I renamed it to .zip and sure enough, I was able to extract the contents, but the individual files within the zip are all encoded.
halljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:09 AM   #17
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Yep, that's DRM for you.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2008, 09:20 AM   #18
Mikesbook
Enthusiast
Mikesbook began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Penguin View Post
Regarding the above problem with ADE, don't buy QI's 'The Book of General Ignorance' unless you have a long time to burn. Since the book is a series of questions and answers each about 2-3 pages long and there is a new chapter for each question, navigating around or just reading the book takes an infuriatingly long time. It's especially annoying since it's meant to be a book to just pick up and flick through for a few questions.

So my first Waterstones purchase was not a success
I can confirm that I have also got the same problem with this book. It's like waiting for paint to dry! Really bad first experience.
Mikesbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:53 AM   #19
NigelS
Enthusiast
NigelS doesn't litterNigelS doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Was going to buy the new PD James book as an epub book from Waterstones for my Sony 505 UNTIL I saw the price.

Waterstones (DRM, eBook) : £12.92
Waterstones (Hardcover Print Copy): £10.99 !!

This is utterly crazy. Are they trying to kill the infant ebook market?

In the end I bought it as a hardcover print copy from Amazon for £9.49 !!!

NigelS
NigelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:15 AM   #20
GingerTez
Stroppy Ginger Scotsman
GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelS View Post
Was going to buy the new PD James book as an epub book from Waterstones for my Sony 505 UNTIL I saw the price.

Waterstones (DRM, eBook) : £12.92
Waterstones (Hardcover Print Copy): £10.99 !!
NigelS
Looking on booksonboard.com, they list it as £12.99 UK price so maybe not really Waterstones fault but whoever sets the RRP should be shot!

Cheers,
Terry.
GingerTez is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2008, 08:42 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
eBooks are generally very expensive as long as they're only out in hardback. The price will fall as soon as the paperback is released.

It's the publisher who sets the price - blame them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:43 AM   #22
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerTez View Post
Looking on booksonboard.com, they list it as £12.99 UK price so maybe not really Waterstones fault but whoever sets the RRP should be shot!

Cheers,
Terry.
maybe steps like that are what we really need to get publishers to wake up...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:40 PM   #23
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
Like Red Penguin I too got the QI's 'The Book of General Ignorance'....gosh its slow !!!!
Really annoying for that long 5 second wait for the next chapter to load. Have now gotten into a rhythm of chatting with Hubby between chapters as they load LOL

I have bought a few epubs from Waterstones and they all load really fast and the page turning in constantly quick, this one though is a nightmare.
Why did the publishers make it this way when it can obviously be done more smoothly/quickly? I bought Jeremy Clarksons book which is similar in format and it loads really nicely and speedily, no long waits between chapters at all.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:29 AM   #24
jheaney
jheaney began at the beginning.

Hi

This is also my 1st post, and the 1st eBook I've bought from Waterstones (Dan Brown The Lost Symbol).

I have Vista 64, and wish I'd found this site earlier. I can't get Adobe Digital Editions to pickup my eReader, and I've now tried all the suggested fixes. The Sony software works fine, so I know my reader is connected.

Waterstones say it's nothing to do with them, and won't refund 'cos I can read it on my PC, and it's not their responsibility if it won't transfer from my PC to my eReader (doesn't help when I only get time to read on the train !).

They also didn't respond to any of my emails (and I left it 8 days), and I only found this out by calling them.

Needless to say I'm not impressed.
jheaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:33 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
ADE has nothing to do with eReader. eReader is a completely separate eBook format and completely separate software to handle the format.

And Waterstones is correct. Since the eBook works with ADE for Windows, then there is nothing wrong with the eBook.

Have you tried running ADE and then plugging in the Reader (without eBook Library running) and then authorizing the Reader? Does your Reader have the ADE firmware?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:45 AM   #26
jheaney

Thanks for this response - I have tried plugging it in with various combinations (including this), and the ADE knows the computer is authorised. My Reader is also authorised via the Sony software - do I need to authorise it somewhere else ?
I have all the lastest updates for the Reader.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:48 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheaney View Post
Thanks for this response - I have tried plugging it in with various combinations (including this), and the ADE knows the computer is authorized. My Reader is also authorized via the Sony software - do I need to authorize it somewhere else ?
I have all the latest updates for the Reader.
Have you tried using eBook Library to copy the ePub to your Reader?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:52 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You need to authorise your Sony Reader via ADE. Connect your Reader to your PC, and then run ADE. It should pop up a message saying something like "A mobile device has been detected - would you like to authorise it?". Say "yes", and it will then appear in ADE, and you should simply be able to drag and drop the book within ADE onto the Reader.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:09 AM   #29
jheaney

Thanks JSWolf - tried that, but got 'This eBook cannot be transferred because the Reader is authorised to another user'. Everything I've checked is authorised to me (same email address).

Thanks HarryT - I don't get any pop ups. It doesn't seem to register that my Reader is connected, although no problems with the Sony software
Old 10-01-2009, 11:14 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It sounds like a Vista 64 issue. Adobe are probably the best people to contact about it.

Do you have access to any computer running 32-bit Windows that you could use to authorise your Reader in ADE? Once it's authorised, you should be able to simply copy the books to it with Windows Explorer.