Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-04-2016, 03:04 AM   #151
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It is certainly true that Coolreader is released under the GPL2: http://sourceforge.net/p/crengine/cr...i/master/tree/
And as per the standard GPL terms, if you make your personal modifications of a GPL project available publicly, you must, well, not contribute back your changes, but certainly make them publicly available for anyone, including the original project, to download and/or use, if they so desire. As a byproduct of having to license your modifications under a GPL2-compatible license, which includes distributing source code together with binary builds.

And... I don't believe I see any links to the source code used by this project. Which I will assume until given reason to think otherwise, is merely a technical oversight.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:35 AM   #152
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 301+, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Onyx Boox A62, Kindle Touch
CoolReader GPL sources

Hi!

I've published CR3 sources here:

CoolReader user manual
sergeyvl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2016, 06:03 AM   #153
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by timofonic View Post
It appears twice:

*I n the Sourceforge project description.
*The README.TXT file.

I reported it in his forum. It's moderated, so he or one of the moderators approved it manually. I also sent him an email and wrote it in his uservoice account related to coolreader.

I don't notify GPL violations because of nothing, I researched more than enough and asked skilled people about it. Now I'm waiting reply
Ah, you answered the wrong question -
Those links are about how the sources are GPLv2, which is not the question I asked.

I asked what section and sub-section of GPLv2 you are reading that the changes have to be 'contributed back'.

The changes have to be also subject to GPLv2 terms, but the GPLv2 license says nothing about 'contributed back'.
You have in mind a different license (some OpenSource licenses do have terms that include 'contribute back' but not the GPLv2).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:00 PM   #154
timofonic
Zealot
timofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox M96+
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Ah, you answered the wrong question -
Those links are about how the sources are GPLv2, which is not the question I asked.

I asked what section and sub-section of GPLv2 you are reading that the changes have to be 'contributed back'.

The changes have to be also subject to GPLv2 terms, but the GPLv2 license says nothing about 'contributed back'.
You have in mind a different license (some OpenSource licenses do have terms that include 'contribute back' but not the GPLv2).
English isn't my first language and I didn't explain it wrong. I'm sorry.

But I think that detail is superfluous, no need to continue about licensing debates. Anyway, you helped me to identify another mistake when writing English
timofonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:52 AM   #155
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timofonic View Post
English isn't my first language and I didn't explain it wrong.
- - - - -
The GPLv2 has been translated into many languages, try reading it in your native language.
At least before you accuse someone of breaking it.
Advert
Old 01-06-2016, 08:56 AM   #156
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I think what timofonic means is he did a bad job of explaining here, what he thought was wrong.

To a non-native English speaker, "contributing back" might be understood as the best way to express "releasing the modified source back into the world".

"I didn't explain it wrong. I'm sorry." seems to be mixed up as well, if he's "sorry" then he clearly mixed up "I didn't explain it right" and "I explained it wrong".

Give the guy a break.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:07 AM   #157
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
- - - -
Give the guy a break.
I thought that I was, reading a legal document in your native language seemed to be good advice.

- - - -

I guess I should take a break, I have been making too many errors recently.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:04 AM   #158
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi!

Version 2016.03 is released! A lot of improvements in CR, chess, OPDS
Old 04-05-2016, 06:52 PM   #159
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Yay!!
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:12 PM   #160
knc1
Going Viral

Isn't (0.5gb) and (500mb) the same values in your signature?
Or have they changed the decimal number system on me again?
Old 04-06-2016, 10:11 AM   #161
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Technically, 0.5 GB is 512, not 500

Also I haven't done anything with my Sig for a while
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:52 PM   #162
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
How are these programs installed? I am scratching my head? I have KUAL installed but there is no extension for Coolreader? I have a PW3. Does Coolreader not work on that? I think someone here told me it doesn't.

If it does, how do I install?

Last edited by ThomasMcKean; 04-26-2016 at 03:58 PM.
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:12 AM   #163
sergeyvl12
ebook fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMcKean View Post
How are these programs installed? I am scratching my head? I have KUAL installed but there is no extension for Coolreader? I have a PW3. Does Coolreader not work on that? I think someone here told me it doesn't.

If it does, how do I install?
The link to installation manual is in the first post of this thread.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:25 AM   #164
ofmr
ofmr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Great that I can use Coolreader on the Kinde Voyage. Is it possible to use the KV page switching "keys" to go to next page? Within Coolreader the "keys" seem to be inactive, they also don't show the feedback vibration.
ofmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:55 AM   #165
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
Technically, 0.5 GB is 512, not 500

Also I haven't done anything with my Sig for a while
Since the GiB (binary gigabytes) standard was adopted to eliminate this confusion, 0.5 GiB is 512, but 0.5 GB is 500. Though before the new standards, they were both GB, which caused confusion. WikiPedia explains it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte

The hard drive manufacturers prevailed and the systems and network programming folks had to change their unit designators to stay current.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote