Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #31
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Wow. So glad you are back with us!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #32
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
My electric was just restored this morning. Nine days later.

Flooding was the worst I've seen. Whole towns wiped out. Every home destroyed.

For others like me we've sustained some damaged. Flooded basements, trees down, etc. However, we're grateful to be alive.
Glad to see you made it through.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #33
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
My electric was just restored this morning. Nine days later.

Flooding was the worst I've seen. Whole towns wiped out. Every home destroyed.

For others like me we've sustained some damaged. Flooded basements, trees down, etc. However, we're grateful to be alive.
You and others are on my mind and in my heart as this next storm approaches.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #34
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
So sorry to hear that, FBone.

I also have friend whose basement and first floor were flooded -- she's practically wiped out, but like you, she's glad to be alive. I hope that isn't your situation, too.

"Everyone says they have to get rid of the stuff in their basement," she said. "But the storm really makes you do it -- those old radios and blasters, stuff that doesn't work anymore, it's all gone. But my son's paintings, too. Things I can't even think about yet."

She lost everything in her basement as well as their swimming pool and a $40,000 boat they'd kept in the garage. She said the flood was like a high tide that wouldn't recede.

She said that her family was lucky because their electricity panel was upstairs, and was mounted just above the lip of the flood water. The houses on both sides of hers had electricity panels in the basement and the owners will have to pay thousands upon thousands to have their houses rewired and new panels installed before they can flip a single light switch.

Another friend lives in an area in which the flooding was so bad that an inspector is visiting every house individually to make sure there are no repercussions when the power comes back on. The sheer number of people in that area versus the allotted inspectors (I believe there are three or four) guarantees that the lack of power will go on for at least week or two.

I also have a friend who came to New York to start a craft beer bar that also served platters of indigenous fare from local farms. His losses from the storm are now forcing him to close the place just as he'd paid off all his debts and developed a growing following.

Goldman Sachs is currently offering disaster relief to New York businesses in the form of temporarily interest-free loans, but my friend would still have to repay money he might never come close to recouping if he chose to open shop again at a monumental loss.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-08-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #35
Venus
Country girl
Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many
Nine days without power. Many of us had generators but they had to be used only a few hours a day because gas was impossible to get. And it got cold the past several days. There were only one or two gas stations with gas so the wait was 2 to 3 hours. Most of us waited on gas lines that were exclusively for people with 5 gallon gas cans. We waited in the cold and had to walk long distances carrying them back to our parked cars. It was tragic seeing old people and mothers with children struggling with this situation. It is now 11 days later and most people on LI have power, although there are still pockets that don't. What has not improved is the gas shortage.
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2012, 03:02 AM   #36
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Seven days without power (or water, since we have a well). No traffic signals, etc.

Another 7 days after that without phone/internet service.

By fortunate coincidence, my wife had a long-standing visit to friends in Kansas. Her flight was booked for the Thursday following the storm, and that was the first day her flight out of Newark was flying again -- so, she bolted! Flushing a toilet with a bucket from the tub (only after poop, not after pee) just isn't her style!

We lost one tree from the front yard (which struck only a glancing blow to the house), and the front storm door (which was pried loose and twisted by the wind). We live on the southwestern side of a ridge and the worst winds came from the northeast, so we had a little protection. The neighborhood at the top of the ridge was dramatically hit. My folks live 20 miles north of us and their neighborhood was also badly damaged (150 year old oaks uprooted, etc.) but the winds blew parallel to their house, so none of the big trees hit them, but their yard and the streets were a mess.

My wife also missed the Nor'easter that followed the next week and dropped four inches of snow, but no additional damage to our area.

This is the second time in two years that October has made a fuss on its way out -- last year we got hit by the Halloween blizzard. On the plus side -- the blizzard probably took down all of our weak trees!

Last edited by cromag; 11-15-2012 at 03:08 AM.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #37
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
If last year's blizzard didn't take down the weak trees, Sandy certainly did! Hope things continue to improve -- and glad to hear your house is OK.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote