Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Books in Parallel?
No, I read one book at a time. When I finish/give-up, I start another book. 55 33.74%
I mostly have 2-3 books going at a time. 75 46.01%
I often have 4-5 books going at a time. 29 17.79%
I frequently have 6+ books going at a time. 4 2.45%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #31
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I don't have too much time to read so I read one at a time. I tend to stay in one series until I finish it as well.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:30 PM   #32
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I don't have too much time to read so I read one at a time. I tend to stay in one series until I finish it as well.
Interesting statement regarding series. I keep getting caught in the trap of yet another series! If I know there are only a few books in the series then I will read them in a row, say less than 4 books or if I know the end is finite. Lately though I have been alternating books in a number of different series to drag them out. That way I don't reach the end where I am caught by a cliff-hanger waiting a year for the next novel to be released!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2011, 12:38 PM   #33
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Interesting statement regarding series. I keep getting caught in the trap of yet another series! If I know there are only a few books in the series then I will read them in a row, say less than 4 books or if I know the end is finite. Lately though I have been alternating books in a number of different series to drag them out. That way I don't reach the end where I am caught by a cliff-hanger waiting a year for the next novel to be released!
Or in the case of A Song of Fire and Ice, maybe 5 or 6 years. Was 4 years in between Thursday Next books. So on and so forth for a few other series I got sucked into.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #34
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
A year I can deal with but GRR is too much for me. I have not bought or read a book of his since the third book.

I started the Wheel of Time Series when Brandon took over and to see have come out regularly enough for me to be ok with buying the books as they come out.

Dresden and Codex Alera I read when they came out.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #35
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
One book at a time for me.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2011, 03:43 PM   #36
chrisanthropic
Fiend
chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I try to stick with one book at a time but usually slip into 1 fiction and 1 non-fiction and stop either if something amazing comes along and catches my eye or if a new book in a series I read comes out.
chrisanthropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #37
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
I'm a one book kinda guy. I like to immerse myself completely in one fictional world at a time and I struggle to keep things separate when I read multiple books. Last week I had two going at once (one at home and one at work) and I can honestly say that it diminished my enjoyment of both.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #38
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool 7

i currently have 7 books started, but am actually reading only one, the other 6 having been started, but at the time when i did so i was not in the right mood for that particular book, so i tried another and another till i was interested enough to continue, i'll go back and continue the others when in more of the mood for what they have to offer.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:06 PM   #39
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
i currently have 7 books started, but am actually reading only one, the other 6 having been started, but at the time when i did so i was not in the right mood for that particular book, so i tried another and another till i was interested enough to continue, i'll go back and continue the others when in more of the mood for what they have to offer.
You are our first 6+ voter!!
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #40
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
You are our first 6+ voter!!
actually not, when i voted some time back i chose the next lesser one , i think 4 or 5 that was true then, 7 is true now.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #41
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
actually not, when i voted some time back i chose the next lesser one , i think 4 or 5 that was true then, 7 is true now.
Really? So we have a SECRET 6+ voter? My curiosity is piqued!
Old 08-24-2011, 04:40 PM   #42
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool who knows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Really? So we have a SECRET 6+ voter? My curiosity is piqued!
well, at least that's what i thought i remembered, but i've been known to be wrong. i remember vacillating between the two and then choosing one without checking how many i actually had begun to read at that point. so who knows, maybe i did vote 6+!! sorry
Old 08-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #43
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
well, at least that's what i thought i remembered, but i've been known to be wrong. i remember vacillating between the two and then choosing one without checking how many i actually had begun to read at that point. so who knows, maybe i did vote 6+!! sorry
You can tell what you voted -- it's the option that is in italics to you.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #44
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Was 4 years in between Thursday Next books.
Well, I'm still waiting on Book 2 of the Shades of Grey series because Fforde was busy writing about missing Thursdays. They are saying maybe 2013 now. I will have forgotten Book 1 by then.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #45
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I'm actually in-between options 1 & 2.

It all depends on what I'm reading. Sometimes I concentrate on one book, and other times I'll read two. My attempts at 3 have failed so far, so I do not see myself reading any more than 2 at a time.
I decided to pick option 2. I have a few paperback series that I'd like to continue, but am rereading the earlier books first. Since those are rereads, requiring a little less focus, I can read an add'l book on my Kindle.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote