Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #46
scottken
Addict
scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook color
I bought the Nightshade ones from Baen. While I don't see a separate TOC, the epub file on my Nook works fine with the Contents function (brings up title of each story), and the same holds for the mobi file when viewed with Kindle for PC. They're nice editions. ($25 for the bundle, -$6.00 using a planet baen coupon, total $19 for well-typset five-volume set).
scottken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #47
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thanks for info on the Smith books.

I may get - it does sound like a good deal at that price - but I wonder why NIght Shade didn't go to the additional effort of putting in a working TOC?

Probably no answer for that one...oh, well.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #48
scottken
Addict
scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook color
Don,

My other post wasn't clear -- although there's no typset book page with a TOC, both the epub and Kindle files of the Nightshade books editions (the only two I can test) have a working, navigable TOC when using the Contents function. Click the story title, it takes you right to it.

Last edited by scottken; 02-08-2013 at 10:56 AM.
scottken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #49
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok - Thank you, Scott.

Don
Old 10-26-2014, 08:34 AM   #50
JimmyH
Enthusiast
JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O, Droid RazrMaxxHD
I am, like a necromancer, reviving this zombie tread. Just found the CAS bundle on Baen's site. Can anyone say whether the work is relatively free of typos ? It is up to $25.00 for the bundle, and I would go that if it was well formatted. If not it would just be an aggravation to me.
JimmyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2014, 09:35 AM   #51
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
I am, like a necromancer, reviving this zombie tread. Just found the CAS bundle on Baen's site. Can anyone say whether the work is relatively free of typos ? It is up to $25.00 for the bundle, and I would go that if it was well formatted. If not it would just be an aggravation to me.
These Nightshade ebooks are the best ebooks currently available. It's a set that I would also like to purchase in First Edition hardcover.

You won't go wrong with this set.

Does it have typos? Of course, as do all ebooks! But no other ebook by Smith is as complete and well-represented than by this set.

An assured purchase, in my opinion.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:21 PM   #52
JimmyH
Enthusiast
JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
An assured purchase, in my opinion.
Thank you. I'll go ahead with it. Damned typos ....... I'm new to this ebook world and it is sort of offputting. I actually deleted one free ebook because it had so many it became a major annoyance.

It would be nice if people who review ebooks would always address the formatting for good or ill. On Amazon they don't more often than not, and I haven't found a similar review source for esoteric stuff ........ with Kobo ebooks for example. Unless I'm just not searching hard enough.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:18 PM   #53
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
Thank you. I'll go ahead with it. Damned typos ....... I'm new to this ebook world and it is sort of offputting. I actually deleted one free ebook because it had so many it became a major annoyance.

It would be nice if people who review ebooks would always address the formatting for good or ill. On Amazon they don't more often than not, and I haven't found a similar review source for esoteric stuff ........ with Kobo ebooks for example. Unless I'm just not searching hard enough.
If the typos are really bad, or there's a large amount of them, Amazon reviewers will mention them. I've seen several eBooks with reviews warning about the horrid typos. Those reviews tend to end up highly rated too.

If it's more of a couple here and there, most people won't comment on it.

If an eBook has a lot of reviews on Amazon and no one is mentioning typos, it's probably a pretty decent one as far as typos go.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:20 PM   #54
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Actually, there are typos in paper books these days as well. Which makes sense, since (I assume) the paper book and ebook come from the same source files.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:01 PM   #55
JimmyH
Enthusiast

I bought and downloaded the Ashton-Smith bundle on my H2o. So far it looks great. A few typos in the intro of the 1st volume, but overall, if the bulk of it is this good, I'll be satisfied.