Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
lego1
lego1 began at the beginning.

Device: sony 350
Sony accedent warenty - is it worth it?

Well I just bought a Sony 360 pocket edition. I also bought the 2 year accedent warenty but I am now wondering if the warenty was a good thing to get with it or not. I usualy do not buy prodcut warenties but I thought this might be usuful as they will replace the unit if it breaks or there is any damage to the unit. So I just want some advice from others as to weather the extra sony warenty is something that they would get or skip. It was an extra $40 and lasts for 2 years.

Thanks,

Jenn
lego1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
It lasts for 2 years, but is only usable once. So if you break your reader 6 months in, the other year and a half is a wash.

Companies make a lot of money from extended warranties because most people who purchase them don't actually use them. However, that doesn't necessarily make them a bad thing.

It's worth it if (a) it brings you peace of mind and (b) you can't afford to just buy a new reader if yours breaks.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
Tessie6
Connoisseur
Tessie6 doesn't litterTessie6 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS505
In my case it was a good deal. I bought a accidental warranty with each of mine and it really paid off. My first purchase was a 500 - the screen went bad and they replaced it with a 505. Then I bought a 650 when they came out and I'm getting a rebate on it because I bought it on sale. I bought a new 650 with the warranty, it gives me piece of mind. I've been using the 505 until my new 650 arrives and my son dropped it. Warranty is still good and I will be calling them as soon as my 650 arrives. Thankfully the warranty on the 505 expires in February 2011. I've got about 3 weeks to go. Well see how the warranty thng holds up on it.
Tessie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Jenn. I'm not sure that accident cover is worth its high cost on low-cost hardware. I bought extra warranty coverage for my expensive computer gear, but feel the best way to go with less expensive items like reading devices is to stick with the standard guarantee and common law and ... well ... just be careful. That's the best guarantee. You'd find a decent cover/case is helpful, too. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #5
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
From what I understand, breaking the screen is the most common problem with the Sony reader. To give me peace of mind, I've used BookArmor cases (on my previous 505 and current 950) that have a protective plate (steel) to offer impact protection to the front and back.

Initially I bought the Sony extended warranty. Now I have a warranty through Squaretrade.
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert