Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-04-2014, 10:20 AM   #286
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
They didn't charge tax on the $79 version in California?
no, they charged tax on membership in CA.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:23 AM   #287
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It works, but doesn't work all that well quality wise in my experience especially compared to the Fire or iOS app.
Also, the new device, from my reading, seems to have an autoplay queue feature. I read something about it being predictive in deciding what you want to play next. I am curious how it works.

A long standing complaint I have about Amazon Video is one must manually start play of the next episode in a series along with the total absence of a playlist/queue that can be set to automatically play the next item in your list.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:31 AM   #288
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkw View Post
Also, the new device, from my reading, seems to have an autoplay queue feature. I read something about it being predictive in deciding what you want to play next. I am curious how it works.

A long standing complaint I have about Amazon Video is one must manually start play of the next episode in a series along with the total absence of a playlist/queue that can be set to automatically play the next item in your list.
This is interesting to hear, because one of the things that irritates me about Hulu (along with the commercials) is the autoplay "feature". It would be a reason for me NOT to get this, and I really really hope they don't add this to the channel on the Roku. If they do have it, I hope there is a way to turn it OFF.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:24 PM   #289
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkw View Post
no, they charged tax on membership in CA.
I don't understand. Isn't the membership price what we were talking about?

My point was: why gripe about the tax making the increase from $79 seem even greater when it was never really $79 to begin with (because of tax). Unless the tax in CA on prime is a brand spanking new thing. Which is why I asked my question.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:00 PM   #290
TheMatrix
Enthusiast
TheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with others

Device: Kobo Mini, Ipad 2
Quote:
They didn't charge tax on the $79 version in California?

Amazon started charging tax when they put warehouses in California. Before that Amazon did not collect tax for California residents.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:46 PM   #291
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix View Post
Amazon started charging tax when they put warehouses in California. Before that Amazon did not collect tax for California residents.
So a California resident paid sales tax on a $79 Prime Membership last year then, right?

Which would make the change to $99 (+ tax) basically a, what?.... twenty-one-and-a-half dollar increase as compared to a non-sales-tax-collecting state resident's twenty dollar increase?

Gotta compare apples to apples. The difference between a $79 to $99 (taxed) price hike and a $79 to $99 (untaxed) price hike is fairly negligible.

I understand perfectly if twenty dollars puts something out of someone's price range. Gotta do what you gotta do. But it certainly wasn't the buck-and-a-half more in sales tax that was the deal-breaker in that case.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-04-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:51 PM   #292
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Gotta compare apples to apples. The difference between a $79 to $99 (taxed) price hike and a $79 to $99 (untaxed) price hike is fairly neglible.
Not if you're paying taxes in Sweden.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:56 PM   #293
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Not if you're paying taxes in Sweden.
I concede the point.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:04 PM   #294
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
I concede the point.
Although valid as it is.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:34 AM   #295
TheMatrix
Enthusiast
TheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with others

We pay about 10% sales tax here in California. So for us its almost a $30 dollar increase including the tax.

So if we break it down by monthly payments it comes out to slightly over $9/month.

Last edited by TheMatrix; 04-05-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:48 AM   #296
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
We pay about 10% sales tax here in California. So for us its almost a $30 dollar increase including the tax.
Great. Multiple of 10 are easy!

79 + 7.9 = 86.9
99 + 9.9 = 108.9

108.9 - 86.9 = a $22 dollar increase (as opposed to a $20 increase for non-taxed members).

So I was off by 50 cents when I guessed a buck-and-a-half.

Your monthly rate went up a whopping $1.81 compared to the $1.67 that non-taxed members monthly rate went up.

The presence of sales tax simply isn't the drastic factor on this increase that you want it to be.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-05-2014 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:28 AM   #297
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

So if we break it down by monthly payments it comes out to slightly over $9/month.
Where do you get your figure of $30 from? A $20 increase, plus 10% tax, is $22.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:25 PM   #298
TheMatrix
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Where do you get your figure of $30 from? A $20 increase, plus 10% tax, is $22.
I was refering to 10% on the entire $99. The tax is on the entire amount.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #299
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
It's not a $30 increase, though. At 10% tax, your previous total was $86.90. Now it is $108.90. A difference of $22.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:57 PM   #300
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
But the increase is not...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote